Shakespeare was a skier?

Old October 13th 03, 06:45 PM
lal truckee

Default Shakespeare was a skier?

Must have been - else why would he have hung around rec.skiing.alpine
where he undoubtably learned about "a tale told by an idiot, full of
sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Note: when posts signify nothing you are not obliged to respond to the
poster, even if the sound and fury is directed at you.

Instead one can discuss more important topics:
Shakespeare set his plays all over Europe; but IIRC, none are set in the
Alps. Does that mean Shakespeare was not really a skier? He did set
Hamlet in Denmark, where they should have known about (choke) cross
country skiing.

Old October 13th 03, 07:52 PM
Walt

lal truckee wrote:

Must have been - else why would he have hung around rec.skiing.alpine
where he undoubtably learned about "a tale told by an idiot, full of
sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Note: when posts signify nothing you are not obliged to respond to the
poster, even if the sound and fury is directed at you.

And he's not the only bard of old who must have spent some time on RSA:

Rabelais’ Gargantua and Pantagruel, dated 1653 contains this gem:

The bun-sellers or cake-makers were in nothing inclinable to
their request; but, which was worse, did injure them most
outrageously, called them prattling gabblers, lickorous gluttons,
freckled bittors, mangy rascals, ****e-a-bed scoundrels, drunken
roysters, sly knaves, drowsy loiterers, slapsauce fellows,
slabberdegullion druggels, lubberly louts, cozening foxes,
ruffian rogues, paltry customers, sycophant-varlets, drawlatch
hoydens, flouting milksops, jeering companions, staring clowns,
forlorn snakes, ninny lobcocks, scurvy sneaksbies, fondling fops,
base loons, saucy coxcombs, idle lusks, scoffing braggarts, noddy
meacocks, blockish grutnols, doddipol-joltheads, jobbernol goosecaps,
foolish loggerheads, flutch calf-lollies, grouthead gnat-snappers,
lob-dotterels, gaping changelings, codshead loobies, woodcock
slangams, ninny-hammer flycatchers, noddypeak simpletons, turdy
gut, ****ten shepherds, and other suchlike defamatory epithets;
saying further, that it was not for them to eat of these dainty
cakes, but might very well content themselves with the coarse
unranged bread, or to eat of the great brown household loaf.

Ah, the classics!

--
//-Walt
//

(stolen from
http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-slu1.htm)
Old October 13th 03, 08:11 PM
Richard Henry

"Walt" wrote in message
lal truckee wrote:

[...]

I swear, if anyone ever calls me a ninny lobcock, I'll...I'lll...I'll have
to be polite to Bert so I can get some legal advise!

Old October 13th 03, 11:34 PM
Alex Heney

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:45:32 -0700, lal truckee
wrote:

Must have been - else why would he have hung around rec.skiing.alpine
where he undoubtably learned about "a tale told by an idiot, full of
sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Note: when posts signify nothing you are not obliged to respond to the
poster, even if the sound and fury is directed at you.

You're right. It's hard sometimes to remember that. :-(

He is back in the killfile now. This time without an automatic expire
if he doesn't post for x days.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
You can't have everything...where would you put it?

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old October 14th 03, 02:47 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"lal truckee" skrev i melding
Shakespeare set his plays all over Europe; but IIRC, none are set in the
Alps. Does that mean Shakespeare was not really a skier? He did set
Hamlet in Denmark, where they should have known about the wonderful world

of cross
country skiing.

Well, the Danes regrettably know generally very little about cross country
skiing, I am sorry to say. But more and more of them are becoming keen and
devoted skiers, I am happy to say, both XC and alpine skiers. The distance
between Denmark and Norway/Sweden or the Alps is luckily very small, and the
Danes have generally plenty of money to spend on vacations like skiing
holidays. Great sports in Denmark are among others handball, football
(soccer), badminton, athletics, and, in winter, ice hockey, believe it or
not. But Shakespeare and Hamlet? I strongly suspect that none of them ever
skied at all. And BTW, also XC skiing is a great winter sport, really huge
here, bigger than alpine skiing, or snowboarding, and is great recreation
for the soon-to-be elderly, like myself..................

Old October 14th 03, 03:01 PM
Chester Bullock

Inger Skramstad Jørstad wrote:

Great sports in Denmark are among others handball, football
(soccer), badminton, athletics, and, in winter, ice hockey, believe it or
not.

Don't the Danes commute to work on skates when the canals freeze? Maybe
that was another country...

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old October 14th 03, 08:33 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Chester Bullock" skrev i melding
Don't the Danes commute to work on skates when the canals freeze? Maybe
that was another country...

Close, but not close enough. You are obviously thinking about the Dutch, who
live in the Netherlands, not very far from Denmark, though. Holland is a
part of the Netherlands. Both Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, and the
Netherlands are kingdoms, but only the Dutch skate on canals, at least as
far as I know, that is.

Old October 14th 03, 08:55 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Olaf Timandahaff" skrev i melding
We do here in Canada, as well.

I did not know these facts about Canada and skating until now, but I was
only thinking about European countries, anyway. Maybe also in the US, or
even in Japan or Korea? But, here in Europe, only in the Netherlands, as far
as I know. But in Norway, Sweden, and Finland, and possibly also in Russia,
many people skate quite a lot on frozen-over natural rivers, ponds, and
lakes, and also do a lot of ice fishing there, but the Dutch have all their
man-made canals to go skating on.

Old October 14th 03, 09:04 PM
Walt

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote:
"Olaf Timandahaff"

We do here in Canada, as well.

I did not know these facts about Canada and skating until now, but I was
only thinking about European countries, anyway. Maybe also in the US, or
even in Japan or Korea? But, here in Europe, only in the Netherlands, as far
as I know. But in Norway, Sweden, and Finland, and possibly also in Russia,
many people skate quite a lot on frozen-over natural rivers, ponds, and
lakes, and also do a lot of ice fishing there, but the Dutch have all their
man-made canals to go skating on.

Shakespeare lived durring the "little ice age" when the Thames and the
Avon would freeze over in the winter. It was colder then, which perhaps
explains the mild language - tempers tend to flare when there's a lack
of cool air to properly stimulate the brain.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 15th 03, 12:20 AM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Walt" skrev i melding
Tempers tend to flare when there's a lack of cool air to properly stimulate
the brain.

Skier Visits Numbers for Europe and Japan? Dale European Ski Resorts 6 June 11th 04 02:33 PM
Skier Visits for the Andes? Dale European Ski Resorts 0 May 13th 04 04:56 AM
Skier of the Impossible funkraum European Ski Resorts 1 February 20th 04 12:37 PM
a "real skier" :-) Lars Nordic Skiing 3 October 27th 03 01:33 PM
Schladming opinions - for a better skier ? Jim Hutton European Ski Resorts 2 October 13th 03 07:42 AM