Suitable resort for non-skiing teenage daughter

Old November 24th 03, 02:05 PM
Roger deLux

Default Suitable resort for non-skiing teenage daughter

My elder daughter has damaged her knee (playing netball) and is likely to be
barred from skiing this season. I was expecting to abandon our annual
skiing trip but my younger daughter is very keen to go (as am I).

Now, older daughter has said she would like come away to a ski resort,
provided we go somewhere where there are "interesting things" (unspecified)
for her to do. So - any ideas for a resort with good skiing but, more
importantly, with enough interests for an abandoned 15 year old girl to
while away the daylight hours as the rest of us are skiing?

If it makes any difference to the advice, we are restricted to the February
half term week.

--
Roger

Old November 24th 03, 11:13 PM
Carl_M

"Roger deLux" wrote in message ...
My elder daughter has damaged her knee (playing netball) and is likely to be
barred from skiing this season. I was expecting to abandon our annual
skiing trip but my younger daughter is very keen to go (as am I).

Now, older daughter has said she would like come away to a ski resort,
provided we go somewhere where there are "interesting things" (unspecified)
for her to do. So - any ideas for a resort with good skiing but, more
importantly, with enough interests for an abandoned 15 year old girl to
while away the daylight hours as the rest of us are skiing?

You don't mention what sort of skiing the rest of you are looking for
but how about Innsbruck. I don't know when Austrian holidays are if
they are the same as the UK's it may be crowded and the sking is a
little limited although spending a day at each of Innsbruck itself,
Igls, Axamer Lizum, Mutters, Tulfes and possible Seefeld. There are
buses to the resorts but you may want to hire a car (or drive down).

Innsbruck itself is quite a large city with historic and cultural
links while I have not actually stayed there I'm sure there is plenty
to do.

You could also go to Kitzbuhl which has a large sports centre (2
pools,sauna, solarium, health spa etc) and a surprisingly good museum.
You can also take a train to salzberg and/or Innsbruck.

In Switzerlan Saas Fee has a hillside dedicated to non skiers (eating,
drinking walking, toboggoning and parapenting. There is skating if
the kee is up to that and a 25m swimming pool. You can also go to see
the glacier

Gstaad has an impressive swimming complex and cleared walks, as does
Flims.

Davos has plenty of shops and sports facilities and hosts speed
skating and ice hockey matches. The same applies to Cortina in
Italy(though replace speed skating with polo and horse jumping)

The only place I can think of in France is Chamonix but unless the
rest of you are excellent skiers I would give it a miss.
Old November 25th 03, 12:12 AM
Roger deLux

Thank you, Carl, for those ideas. I deliberately didn't bother to mention
ski levels as, this time, the skiing will take second place to the location.
But I should have mentioned that we would have a car as I am based in
Luxembourg and usually drive to the snow.

We know Flims very well, perhaps too well for this trip as there is nothing
new for her, and we have also been to Gstaad. The others would be new
territory and I have had my eye on a trip to Saas Fee for some time, so
maybe this is the year. Also, Chamonix would appeal to two of us but might
be too challenging for the third. I hadn't realised there was much non-ski
activity there, though.

I'll do some research on your recommendations. Thanks once again.

Roger

Old November 25th 03, 08:02 AM
Paul Schofield

"Roger deLux" wrote in message

...snipsy ...

I have hesitated to offer this advice since I offer you this suggestion
without any personal experience ... However the ski pages in the Guardian
some weeks ago suggested that Cortina, Italy to be an excellent resort for a
mixed party of skiers & non-skiers. Maybe someone else in the NG has some
experience that they can share.

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old November 25th 03, 10:40 AM
Marco Cattaneo

Zermatt is not bad, particularly if she is up to walking - there are quite a
few scenic walks at valley level, some nice shops, plus all the train and
gondola rides that would permit her to sit in the sun on the slopes, meeting
up with you at least once during the day.

A much more relaxed place could be Courmayeur - not an extensive ski area,
but plenty of wonderful restaurants on the slopes that can also be reached
on foot, excellent shopping, and, again, lots of valley walks. There are
regular buses to Aosta and Chamonix, both of which would make nice day
trips.

Old November 25th 03, 10:47 AM
Sam

I am going to a conference in Cortina in january. there is info on the
conference website:
http://www.conferences21.com/index.c...play&ConfID=10

I will not be so happy if it is not good for non skiing teenagers

Old November 25th 03, 12:40 PM
Whitemount Stefano

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:02:32 -0000, "Paul Schofield"
wrote:

"Roger deLux" wrote in message

..snipsy ...

I have hesitated to offer this advice since I offer you this suggestion
without any personal experience ... However the ski pages in the Guardian
some weeks ago suggested that Cortina, Italy to be an excellent resort for a
mixed party of skiers & non-skiers. Maybe someone else in the NG has some
experience that they can share.

I live at 2,5 hour from cortina, but I skied the biggest station in
the alps.
Cortina have the best sightseeing of the alps, a lot of refuge with
great cooking.
Is maybe the most expensive italian station, but is far away from
Zermatt or Courchevel.
I don't love the town, but I love the nearfield, like passo giau or
tofana, cristallo...
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Tr...0/cortina.html
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Tr...40/5torri.html

If you are lucky and find powder snow (usually in november and march)
you also have the opportunity of great offpiste itinerary... but the
best and longest (bus de tofana 45° slope for 1200 m. , cimebianche up
to 55° with 1500 m.) are better to do they with an alpine guide.

Saluti Stefano
--

SUV sucks, Move the feet is cool.
http://www.crbm.org/ http://www.banchearmate.it/
Old November 26th 03, 05:28 PM
Carl_M

"Roger deLux" wrote in message ...
Thank you, Carl, for those ideas. I deliberately didn't bother to mention
ski levels as, this time, the skiing will take second place to the location.
But I should have mentioned that we would have a car as I am based in
Luxembourg and usually drive to the snow.

We know Flims very well, perhaps too well for this trip as there is nothing
new for her, and we have also been to Gstaad. The others would be new
territory and I have had my eye on a trip to Saas Fee for some time, so
maybe this is the year. Also, Chamonix would appeal to two of us but might
be too challenging for the third. I hadn't realised there was much non-ski
activity there, though.

I'll do some research on your recommendations. Thanks once again.

Roger

If skiing will take second place I would say go to Innsbruck. It is
the only destination that attracts non winter sports tourists,
everywhere else is a skiing resort with something you can do if you
can't / won't ski.

I didn't give details of Chamonix. It offers scenic flights and the
cabel car is often taken by non skiers to admire the view. The alpine
museum is worth a look and sports facilities are good if your daughter
is up to it. It has good rail connections to Geneva, Annecy, Turin.
I wouldn't put it top of the list unless you elder daughter has much
better French than German (or Italian) and would be more independent
in a French speaking country, and the remaining three of you are up to
the challenges on offer.

Carl