binding off axis on new skis

Old March 21st 06, 12:40 AM

Default binding off axis on new skis

Hi,

I just bought a pair of skis. I noticed that on one of the skis the
tail of the binding sticks out little bit off the ski (~1-2mm). The
skis is 44mm in the middle thus if well centered there should be around
1mm ski top left on each side of the binding, but on this one the
biding slightly sticks out to the right side. The front is well
centered it seems but the tail end is slightly off center. (The other
ski is perfectly centered head to tail.)
Should I bring the skis back? Can they rescrew the binding to correct
such a small error. If they can't should I ask them to replace it with
a new ski? Or is this small enough that it won't affect the
performance?

thanks.

PJ

Old March 23rd 06, 11:35 AM

Hi PJ,

No-one else seems to have replied to this so I will have a go.

I don't know if the misalignment of the binding is enough to affect
performance. However, from your description, I do not think that the
standard of workmanship is acceptable from a professional ski
technician.

I suggest you check the skis over carefully to see if there are any
other problems. That check should include putting on your boots and
then fitting your boots into the bindings. This will check that the
bindings are properly assembled. When you are on your skis, you will
then be able to check the effect of the misalignment in relation to
the other ski.

If you are still not happy, then I suggest you contact your retailer
with the problem(s) and ask them what they propose to do. I don't know
whether they will be able to adjust the binding or whether you will
need a new ski. They need to work out what to do to provide you with
the functional ski for which you have paid.

Good luck
Alex

Old March 26th 06, 12:20 PM

PJ.
Unless you bought a 500$ ski.
I would not worry about this.
This small misalignment. does not affect the
skiing or the performance.
No this being said. You have the right to return to the retailer and
have him remount the binding properly. But be aware he will drill all
new holes for both skis to move the bindings perhaps
5 mm forward.
To change a small miss alignment like this is not possible otherwise.