skidoos

Old March 18th 06, 07:29 PM

Default skidoos

It seems to me that everytime a skidoo is covering the leaders in a long
distance race, they are either too close so that they are throwing snow unto
the tracks and onto racers' faces. Not to mention all that fume can't be
good. Why can't they stay at least a hundred yard ahead of the racers and
use a telephoto? Imagine running behind a car for 45, 90k and sucking all
that exhaust. I think it was 45k women's Vasaloppet when after making a
huge break, Bjorgen and Pedersen were coming up a hill right behind a skidoo
which was way too close and throwing snow onto the tracks, causing Pedersen
to fall.

Old March 18th 06, 07:45 PM

The Dutch Europsort commentator for Vasaloppet, Gijsbregt Brouwer, after
exactly your question on the Eurosport forum, said that on the flip side the
leaders also get to enjoy a bit of a draft, more than the following pack.
Snow they are used to and should be dressed for anyways. Fumes, I don't know
whether the skier notice those, how those flow. I do know there was a
leading MX bike bike ones, and me 30s behind it was totally getting ill from
it's fumes. Engine was obviously using a lot of or running dry, one of those
two, I'm no bike mechanic.
Not sure what the state of technology is, but an electric vehicle would look
professional, and be more silent as a big bonus for television coverage.
Actually hearing the ski's and poles on the snow, the athlete's breathing.
In road cycling the speeds make that pretty much impossible unless on a
climb, I supposed with XC skiing even the flats could get superb sound from
a dead silent skidoo.

"ellis" schreef in bericht

Old March 18th 06, 08:29 PM

Jan Gerrit Klok writes:

Jan The Dutch Europsort commentator for Vasaloppet, Gijsbregt Brouwer, after
Jan exactly your question on the Eurosport forum, said that on the flip side the
Jan leaders also get to enjoy a bit of a draft, more than the following pack.
Jan Snow they are used to and should be dressed for anyways. Fumes, I don't know
Jan whether the skier notice those, how those flow. I do know there was a
Jan leading MX bike bike ones, and me 30s behind it was totally getting ill from
Jan it's fumes. Engine was obviously using a lot of or running dry, one of those
Jan two, I'm no bike mechanic.

I hate it when anywhere close to a snowmobile. They smell really bad.
I can't imagine how horrible it would be to race right behind one, unless
there were a very strong cross wind.

Jan Not sure what the state of technology is, but an electric vehicle would look
Jan professional, and be more silent as a big bonus for television coverage.
Jan Actually hearing the ski's and poles on the snow, the athlete's breathing.
Jan In road cycling the speeds make that pretty much impossible unless on a
Jan climb, I supposed with XC skiing even the flats could get superb sound from
Jan a dead silent skidoo.

Jan "ellis" schreef in bericht
news ...
It seems to me that everytime a skidoo is covering the leaders in a long
distance race, they are either too close so that they are throwing snow

Jan unto
the tracks and onto racers' faces. Not to mention all that fume can't be
good. Why can't they stay at least a hundred yard ahead of the racers and
use a telephoto? Imagine running behind a car for 45, 90k and sucking all
that exhaust. I think it was 45k women's Vasaloppet when after making a
huge break, Bjorgen and Pedersen were coming up a hill right behind a

Jan skidoo
which was way too close and throwing snow onto the tracks, causing

Jan Pedersen
to fall.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)
Old March 23rd 06, 08:53 AM

ellis wrote:
It seems to me that everytime a skidoo is covering the leaders in a long
distance race, they are either too close so that they are throwing snow unto
the tracks and onto racers' faces. Not to mention all that fume can't be
good. Why can't they stay at least a hundred yard ahead of the racers and
use a telephoto? Imagine running behind a car for 45, 90k and sucking all
that exhaust. I think it was 45k women's Vasaloppet when after making a
huge break, Bjorgen and Pedersen were coming up a hill right behind a skidoo
which was way too close and throwing snow onto the tracks, causing Pedersen
to fall.

The fumes would be awful, particularly at close range. Skidoos are
typically running on very very grotty 2-stroke engines and, like
jet-skis on water, should be banned for environmental reasons alone.
(Though the utility of a skidoo for reaching/rescuing injured people in
the snow is obviously a necessity).

Chris
Old March 23rd 06, 01:11 PM

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:53:30 +1000, Chris Cole
wrote:

ellis wrote:
[...]

I'm not a snowmobiler but where I live I'm surrounded by them. I would
guess from the engine sounds that they were using 4 stroke models at
the Olympics. They're a lot less smelly 9and noisy) than the two
strokers. The advantage of not using a telephoto is that you get a
better feel for how fast the skiers are going. With a telephoto the
the background and foreground are so compressed that even when the
skiers are really flying they don't look that way.

g.c.
Old March 24th 06, 02:09 AM

I watched them setting up the snowmobiles used for TV coverage at the World
Cup at Sovereign Lake in December. They fitted them with tall smoke stacks
so that the exhaust would be vented above the level of the skiers.

What amazed me was how much oily smoke was coming out of the stack. I guess
that smoke normally get vented into the snow where it stays until spring
when is washed down into our water supply.

Scott

Old March 24th 06, 10:41 PM

The machines at Vasaloppet and others certainly don't have those "stacks"
.... I personally think they are 4 stroke engines as ALL snowmobiles should
be.

Want a check on snowmobile exhaust pollution? Ski on a snowmobile trail for
an hour then do a warm wax scrape on your skis. It comes of a nice brownish
black color. YUCK

JK

Old March 25th 06, 09:16 AM

If snowmobile manufacturer would come up with an electric version, a great
chance to make some super-positive promotion, I would say?
The required speeds are not outrageous, I guestimate a well-made electric
skidoo might even complete all of the Vasaloppet on one set of batteries?
Electric family cars handle longer distances in city traffic, always
accelerating, and doing higher average speeds.

"32 degrees" schreef in bericht

Old March 25th 06, 12:19 PM

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
If snowmobile manufacturer would come up with an electric version, a great
chance to make some super-positive promotion, I would say?
The required speeds are not outrageous, I guestimate a well-made electric
skidoo might even complete all of the Vasaloppet on one set of batteries?

Absolutely no way!

My father was part of a firm importing electric cars to Norway, the
size/weight/cost of batteries are still the (only) limiting factor even
for roling along on perfectly paved roads.

Electric family cars handle longer distances in city traffic, always
accelerating, and doing higher average speeds.

Average speed is _very_ comparable, and the rolling friction of a
studded belt vs. well-inflated rubber tires is at least 2 to 10 times
worse. :-(

Terje

--
-
Old March 25th 06, 01:26 PM

"Terje Mathisen" schreef in bericht

Absolutely no way!

My father was part of a firm importing electric cars to Norway, the
size/weight/cost of batteries are still the (only) limiting factor even
for roling along on perfectly paved roads.

Average speed is _very_ comparable, and the rolling friction of a
studded belt vs. well-inflated rubber tires is at least 2 to 10 times
worse. :-(

Hmm, that's too bad! For the perfectly groomed trails those ski's seem to
use for all the Vasaloppet, is that studded belt even required? I can see
how it's the uptimum in grip and tracking, of course. I already figured
maybe a battery or vehicle change would be required once or twice over the
course to keep batterry weight down.
Oh well, it would just be nice to have a prefectly silent machine to do the
(otherwise outstanding) camera work. Anyone have a golf cart to tinker with?