Food for thought (new thread)

Old June 5th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default Food for thought (new thread)

On Jun 4, 9:33 am, "JQ" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

(snip)

No, wrong analogies. Skiing is a sport of gravity--one vs. gravity--
and that's the common denominator, so there are comparisons between
good skiing and bad skiing, or elegant skiing and athletic/brute-force
skiing, etc.

Which skiing category is your skiing in and why?

What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIjqVM4ufXY
pair long turns

As for your explanations, frankly they are annoying in the way that
most Eastern philosophy is to westerners. You never state what you
mean, you only allude to it and insist that the reader meditate upon
it.

Once you understand the major difference between Eastern & Western
philosophy it all becomes easy to understand.
There may be a reason for that as I think you already know.

Yes, there's a major difference between Eastern and Western philosophy
which depicts how they view the "reality," or "life." For which the
Eastern philosophy turns "internal" to look for the answer while the
Western philosophy looks outwardly to find the answer. The results are
Unism--one element world (e.g. unified mind and body)--for the Eastern
philosophy/"world view" and Dualism--two elements world (e.g.
separated mind and body)--for the Western philosophy/"world view." By
mathematics, less requirements covers a bigger domain, Unism--one
element domain--covers Dualism--two elements domain--but not the other
way around. That is to say one cannot see into Unism based on
Dualism's premises. To most people, one can only reach Unism/
enlightenment through its own practice/premises. And someone may get
lucky, enlightened without reason.

Yes on meditation, otherwise, they would never get it. As I've pointed
out, the Eastern philosophy--Unism/Taoism/Buddhism/Zen--are beyond
words, so they are beyond the realm/capabilities of English/language,
so they are beyond the English/Western thinking. So I said, "Without
you own pursuit and practice, there's no hope for you to get it."

Untrue, Eastern philosophy is not beyond words, if that were the case there
would be no books or manuscripts written by the Eastern philosophers on
eastern philosophy or on any particular school of thought. It is only
beyond words if one is not versed in the philosophy that one is trying to
explain or elude to properly.

Yes, it is true, the final enlightenment is beyond words; the books or
manuscripts are served only as "guide" and they are bounded by the
limitation of the language, that's why one has to leap in the end, or
practice hard to transfer the "mental knowledge" to "physical
knowledge (without mind)." When one can physically do it then we/
Chinese say he "knows."

Eastern philosophy is not beyond English/Western thinking. There is a
fundamental difference in the foundation of Eastern and Western philosophy
that is based on how reality is seen or understood. Basically in Eastern
philosophy reality is a function of the mind, what one sees in ones mind
(true conception) it is real. Western philosophy reality is a function of
tangibility based off ones senses to be real you must be able to either:
see, hear, smell, taste or feel (touch) it. Now science has added another
concept if it can be proven in theory it is real until it is disproven.

Yes, Eastern philosophy reality is a function of the mind, so the
domain (how big) of the "world" is depended on what one perceives, so
the world varies in size and shape, and it may merge with mind,
whereas in the Western view that everything has an unique "grid" fixed
in the space-time continuum, where the continuum doesn't change and
always exist, and we are separate from it. So, we may have quite a
different world.

Have you ever noticed that in the martial arts we speak of the mind is the
source of our power. To a point this is true but we use the laws of physic
to do most of our feats. Don't be fooled by many of the martial arts
demonstration that show mind over matter techniques. Much of it the use of
basic laws of physic and many of the breaking demonstration are just plain
tricks, sorry to say.

Yes, it doesn't matter how they presented, even in Taichi's fancy
wording, the laws of physics must be met in all physical activities.
The difference is in the Eastern inner strength where mind may change
the "world" (e.g. a strong mind makes a strong body), thus may produce
an incredible result.

What I gather from reading IS's "Tai Chi skiing" but I may be wrong, he is
using the philosopical teaching of Tai Chi to enhance his skiing ability
and at the same time become mentally and spiritually enlightened. Is if you
could clarify something for me it may help my understanding. One, are you
claiming "Tai Chi Skiing" as a form of skiing and if so are you the founder
of this form? Two, is the spiritual enlightment aspect achieved from skiing
or from the philosophical teachings of Tai Chi? Thanks...

Well, as I said, I learned Taichi from skiing, and reapplied Taichi
theory back to skiing and developed Taichi Skiing. I had a few
enlightening moments in skiing, but the true enlightenment was from
martial arts practice, when I dealt with a question about life and
death and practiced [Zen] archery at the time.

Yes, I found this form, which, in essence, is different from PSIA-
strain skiing.

Try a little formal logic. It will help you make sense.

Methinks the formal logic will be too severe for the gappers. The
formal logic, "if A then B" is true ONLY if A--premises--is true
(complete and consistent). With their malicious insinuations, wild
speculations, and pathetic denials, the gappers never have a workable/
true premise, they are not going to realize the truth, or the true
state of their mentalities. Then they just go verbiage on. They cannot
learn and I can't help.

IS, when you do this you lose much of your creditabilty. To insult those
that are critical of your point of view or skiing techniques are not in the
teachings of "Tai Chi" nor any other form of eastern philosophy.

Have you read clarencedarrow's "Tie Chee Venture Capital" thread? That
is one example what I was talking about.

One of the
problems that you put upon yourself is to make a blanket statement that
"only" through "Tai Chi Skiing" can one achieve the true high level skiing,
true understanding of high level skiing and spiritual enlightment. There
are many ways to get there and yours is only one way, understanding Eastern
philosophy you already know this.

No, never did say that. "All styles merge at the end in 'line-skiing'
in high level skiing" was what I said.

Have a great summer...

Thanks, be gone fishing tomorrow,
IS

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old June 7th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

taichiskiing wrote:

What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIjqVM4ufXY

I think that snow looks excellent.
It's all just skiing.

-- Mike Treseler
Old June 7th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 4, 9:33 am, "JQ" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

(snip)

Which skiing category is your skiing in and why?

What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIjqVM4ufXY
pair long turns

You did not answer my question.

Well, I've been talking about the "elegant" of the Taichi Skiing for
about ten years here now, and you don't know where I place my self in?
I thought the answer was obvious, but you have question. Not sure if
it's you lag behind the curve or just your pretension.

To look at a video clip doesn't tell me
which category you place your skiing in.

If you cannot tell where a skier's level is by watching the skier's
movements/flow of skiing, then you probably don't really know that
well. A good martial artist always learns others by watching how they
move.

Yes, there's a major difference between Eastern and Western philosophy
which depicts how they view the "reality," or "life." For which the
Eastern philosophy turns "internal" to look for the answer while the
Western philosophy looks outwardly to find the answer. The results are
Unism--one element world (e.g. unified mind and body)--for the Eastern
philosophy/"world view" and Dualism--two elements world (e.g.
separated mind and body)--for the Western philosophy/"world view." By
mathematics, less requirements covers a bigger domain, Unism--one
element domain--covers Dualism--two elements domain--but not the other
way around. That is to say one cannot see into Unism based on
Dualism's premises. To most people, one can only reach Unism/
enlightenment through its own practice/premises. And someone may get
lucky, enlightened without reason.

Unism and dualism are both western developed ideologies. You have made a
major mistake taking "oneness" to mean "unism" they are not the same.

Well, when I first coined the term "Unism" for the translation of a
Chinese term, Yi-Yuan (one element), there was no such word in the
dictionaries, so I translated it as Unit-ism and written as "Unism" to
contrast the Dual-ism. So I don't really know what the western
ideology "unism" is, do you have a definition of it?

The harmonious unity of the mind, body and spirit is "oneness".

So, here we already have the difference in the meaning of "oneness."
If the mind, body, and spirit exist separately, even in a harmonious
unity, they are not true "oneness," where "oneness" should mean "it
cannot be separated." So, the true "oneness" can only happen in "no-
mind," where there's no mind exists to separated things.

Unism is an
ideology that is directed at a view of the universe and it is not a single
element domain.

Now we really need to know the definition/description of this "unism,"
what does it really mean?

Western philosophy is not based on the ideology of dualism.

Yes, ever since Aristotle's time. He divided the things into the
"imaginary" atoms (as we cannot see and cannot touch them), thus
forever separated the reality of life as "mind"--the thinking
mechanism--and "body"--the physical world that is formed by the atoms,
the western culture of dualism was born.

You make some major assumptions concerning about the perceptions of a
dualist vs. that of a unilist and enlightment. Enlightment is an Eastern
ideology and not part of their (unilist/dualist) philosophy unless going to
heaven is the same thing.

The ideology is embedded in the culture, so a lot of times we acquired
the knowledge/thinking without us knowing it. In Chinese culture, the
highest achievement in life is to attain the enlightenment in Tao.

"[If one] attain the enlightenment in Tao in the morning and die in
the afternoon, it is ok (no regret)."--Confucius--

[...]

You have basically proven my point, philosophy is not beyond words, what is
beyond words is the actual experience.

Eastern philosophy is not beyond words, but the goal it pursues is.
That's why there's an expression in Zen, "if you speak, you missed the
mark."

[...]

I don't know if you are disagreeing with what I have said or not from your
above statement.

I agree with you about those performances are tricks, but how to
perform those tricks still take some above average strength to do it,
so there's mental discipline and practice involve long before the show
time. They may not be so spectacular as they appeared, but I don't
trivialize their efforts.

What I gather from reading IS's "Tai Chi skiing" but I may be wrong, he
is
using the philosophical teaching of Tai Chi to enhance his skiing
[...]

How did you learn "Tai Chi Chuan" (Tai Chi is an abbreviation) from skiing
or was this a typo? For those that are not in the loop Tai Chi is short for
Tai Chi Chuan which is a form of Chinese martial arts. It has been linked
to improved health through proper breathing, slow martial arts movements and
proper body postures.

I initially learned Tai Chi Chuan from my brother, but mostly I
practiced on my own. Taichi is short for Tai Chi Chuan is a common--
street level--understanding, however, Taichi excises are not
restricted to Tai Chi Chuan only.

The high level Taichi is the philosophy what Chinese called Xing-Shang-
Xue, a branch of knowledge that dealt the meta physics' problems. The
term Taichi first appeared in I-Ching.

I commend you on developing your founded skiing system, how long has it been
in development? You do know it will go through constant improvement,
refinement and some changes as it grows and as your knowledge expands. If
your skiing system is to grow you must keep an open mind and be able to see
the flaws that may be lurking in the background and e willing to make
changes as needed.

Yes, my skiing is still improving, even with my broken left pelvis,
arthritis on the left hip joint, and old age, I attribute it to the
Taichi Skiing.

Try a little formal logic. It will help you make sense.

Methinks the formal logic will be too severe for the gappers. The
formal logic, "if A then B" is true ONLY if A--premises--is true
(complete and consistent). With their malicious insinuations, wild
speculations, and pathetic denials, the gappers never have a workable/
true premise, they are not going to realize the truth, or the true
state of their mentalities. Then they just go verbiage on. They cannot
learn and I can't help.

IS, when you do this you lose much of your creditability. To insult
those
that are critical of your point of view or skiing techniques are not in
the
teachings of "Tai Chi" nor any other form of eastern philosophy.

Have you read clarencedarrow's "Tie Chee Venture Capital" thread? That
is one example what I was talking about.

I have read many of the posts that have attacked you and your skiing
style/form. I do not approve of it but you have brought much of it upon
yourself. As I stated you lose all credibility when you put down those that
disagree with you.

As I said, no, I don't put down people. They were put down by their
own attacks, when I proved I was right.

People will disagree and even attack you for doing
something different. If your system is as great as you believe it will be
noticed and will be imitated.

One of the
problems that you put upon yourself is to make a blanket statement that
"only" through "Tai Chi Skiing" can one achieve the true high level
skiing,
true understanding of high level skiing and spiritual enlightment. There
are many ways to get there and yours is only one way, understanding
Eastern
philosophy you already know this.

No, never did say that. "All styles merge at the end in 'line-skiing'
in high level skiing" was what I said.

If you didn't say that you infer it. Here you make a personal belief to be
universal fact.

What you don't know.

Taichi in Chinese means "beyond the ridge of the roof," while the roof
is the highest point of a building, so Taichi takes on the meaning as
"beyond the highest point," and translated into English become
"ultimate," and some other embedded meaning are lost in the
translation. The "roof" also implies the "edge" of the physical world,
so Taichi also means "go beyond the physical world," and that is an
idea beyond the western thinking.

All styles do not merge into line skiing in high level skiing. You have
narrowed your view of high level skiing to a single aspect of skiing.

Guess that's what makes it "high level." If you don't line-skiing, you
cannot ski trees. Here's another example of line-skiing,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpPBnud7jc
all-mountain free skiing

He was a PSIA guy, level 3, and more.

Once
you broaden your scope you will understand this and be less confrontational
with others that do not understand your point of view.

The real (funny that) truth is always confrontational; nevertheless,
as I said, I troll cyber bullies/gappers, so it's up to you choose
your role: a gapper, or non-gapper. A non-gapper does not make gapping
statement intentionally.

What I have learned
in life we may mean the exact same thing but say it in a way that seem to be
total opposite of each other. Wisdom comes to those with deep knowledge,
vast experience, great accumulation of time and the ability put it all into
action or words without the interference of ones ego.

Well said, that's the discipline of Taichi Skiing as well.

IS

Ps. I'm opening up a new thread, as the old one is hard for me to
track now.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old June 8th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler[_2_]

taichiskiing wrote:

Eastern philosophy is not beyond words, but the goal it pursues is.
That's why there's an expression in Zen, "if you speak, you missed the
mark."

This thread has missed the mark.
It's all just skiing.

-- Mike Treseler
Old June 9th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 8, 11:11 am, Mike Treseler wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIjqVM4ufXY

I think that snow looks excellent.
It's all just skiing.

You have missed the question.

Eastern philosophy is not beyond words, but the goal it pursues is.
That's why there's an expression in Zen, "if you speak, you missed the
mark."

This thread has missed the mark.

You have missed the topic.

It's all just skiing.

You have missed some awesome skiing.

IS

-- Mike Treseler

Old June 11th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 9, 12:22 pm, Richard Henry wrote:
On Jun 9, 12:07 pm, taichiskiing
wrote:

On Jun 9, 10:14 am, Richard Henry wrote:

On Jun 9, 10:27 am, taichiskiing
wrote:

On Jun 9, 6:50 am, Richard Henry wrote:

On Jun 9, 7:32 am, taichiskiing
wrote:

Deny it the first time, you maybe
innocence of denying, just being ignorant and arrogant; deny it second
time around? that's pathetic; third time around? You become shameless.

Excellent philosophy.

Now say the words out loud in front of a mirror.

Don't have to, a real truth is true anywhere. It is only a matter of
how you perceive it.

When mouth is open, do not close ears.

But you don't follow your own advice?

The best tool for a philosopher is a well-polished mirror.

Regarding a "well-polished mirror," here's the most famous story in
Chinese Zen Buddhism: When the fifth patriarch ready to retire, he
made the announcement on the bulletin board and asked his disciples to
write their understanding/insight/comprehension the meaning of the
Chan/Zen, and whoever wrote the most insightful/comprehensive piece
would get his robe and transmission. A few had tried it and posted
their views on the board, until Shen-Xiu, who was the fifth
patriarch's most senior and most disciplined disciple, wrote down his
poem:

"The body is [like] a Budhi tree,
And the heart/mind is [like] mirror bright,
Polish it often constantly,
So not to let any dust settles on it."

He was saying that he disciplined to polish himself constantly to
reach an ever purer/higher state/realm of Zen, and he has reduced all
the world's 10k things to only one element--the mirror bright heart/
mind. And the rest of disciples thought that his vision has reached
the highest level comprehension and practice that he should receive
the robe and transmission, so the posting stopped.

Hui-Neng was a low rank monk at the time, cannot even read and write,
so he asked a fellow monk to read it for him and afterward to write
his poem for him:

"The Bodhi/body is not a tree,
The bright heart/mind is not a mirror,
From the beginning there's not a thing,
Where the dusts come from and attach to where?"

After reading this, the fifth patriarch decided that Hui-Neng had the
highest comprehension and passed the transmission to him. Hui-Neng
became the six patriarch, and Shen-Xiu, with his well polished mirror,
lost the bid.

The reasons? Shen-Xiu still saw the world/reality through a medium/
mirror, even with his well polished mirror, and he still had a "self."
And Hui-Neng's vision had no self, and only when one becomes no self,
the body becomes transparent, where then one can see the One/whole
world/universe/reality unpartitioned. And that's the true essence of
Zen/Chan practice.

Mind of no mind,
IS
Old June 11th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

wrote:

[...]

From the beginning there's not a thing,
Where the dusts come from and attach to where?"

After reading this, the fifth patriarch decided that Hui-Neng had the
highest comprehension and passed the transmission to him. Hui-Neng
became the six patriarch, and Shen-Xiu, with his well polished mirror,
lost the bid.

The reasons? Shen-Xiu still saw the world/reality through a medium/
mirror, even with his well polished mirror, and he still had a "self."
And Hui-Neng's vision had no self, and only when one becomes no self,
the body becomes transparent, where then one can see the One/whole
world/universe/reality unpartitioned. And that's the true essence of
Zen/Chan practice.

Mind of no mind,
IS

Can you now relate to us how your "I'm superior, you're not" attitude expressed
on this forum reaches towards this goal?

Old June 11th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
clarencedarrow

On Jun 11, 11:53*am, taichiskiing
wrote:
snip

Confusion say "Stick it up your ass, racist."
Old June 11th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

wrote:

[...]

From the beginning there's not a thing,
Where the dusts come from and attach to where?"

After reading this, the fifth patriarch decided that Hui-Neng had the
highest comprehension and passed the transmission to him. Hui-Neng
became the six patriarch, and Shen-Xiu, with his well polished mirror,
lost the bid.

The reasons? Shen-Xiu still saw the world/reality through a medium/
mirror, even with his well polished mirror, and he still had a "self."
And Hui-Neng's vision had no self, and only when one becomes no self,
the body becomes transparent, where then one can see the One/whole
world/universe/reality unpartitioned. And that's the true essence of
Zen/Chan practice.

Mind of no mind,
IS

So what are you really saying? Are you saying you are like Hui-Neng's and
his understanding of the Zen/Chan practice?

I believe you are attempting to change the subject of what Richard Henry was
saying to you. You also have an uncunning way to add your own view point
and words to an established thought as you did above. Where in the teaching
of Zen does it talk about "reality unpartitioned". Where in the teaching of
Hui-Neng does he say or even infer, "when one has no self, the body becomes
transparent"? Do you understand the teaching of Hui-Neng? Do you follow
that teaching?

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old June 11th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 11, 8:09 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

Mind of no mind,
IS

Can you now relate to us how your "I'm superior, you're not" attitude expressed
on this forum reaches towards this goal?

No, I never did say "I'm superior, you're not"; all I said was Taichi
Skiing is the "ultimate skiing," which I have described and proved
what is this "ultimate" all about--you cannot ski beyond the realm/
state of Taichi Skiing--the rest of it is all your own interpretation,
which reflects exactly where/what your mind is, a dualistic good or
bad mentality, which is not the realm of Taichi Skiing I was talking
about. Nevertheless, given the simplicity of its techniques, efficient
body movements, and the formless graceful skiing, Taichi Skiing is a
better skiing system.

To reach the mind of no mind, you need/have to transcend that worldly
confusions of little moral/values and follow the great Way of skiing,
which follows the way of gravity. Hopefully, when you reach the "total
body automation," transcend your mind, and you would have reached the
mind of no mind.

IS

Food for thought taichiskiing Alpine Skiing 24 June 11th 08 07:09 PM
Thought this was interesting Tubs Alpine Skiing 1 November 18th 06 03:50 AM
Food for thought... Norm Alpine Skiing 1 November 27th 05 05:26 AM
A New Year's Thought Jim Strohm Alpine Skiing 0 December 31st 04 06:04 PM
Food for thought from Denmark. Inger Skramstad Jørstad Alpine Skiing 3 March 27th 04 01:28 PM