Question about clothing

Old January 27th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

Default Question about clothing

On TV when watching various races, you always see the competitors in helmets
and in skin tight suits.

At any hills/mountains I have skied at, some people wear a helmet, yet no
one wears those skin tight suits.

I sort of understand why, but....

I also XC Ski on various club owned trails. The clothing that racers wear,
is also seen worn by those who just ski for fun.

Why does this happen?

Micheal

Old January 27th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article gxTmj.43615$fj2.8769@edtnps82,
"Micheal Artindale" wrote:

On TV when watching various races, you always see the competitors in helmets
and in skin tight suits.

At any hills/mountains I have skied at, some people wear a helmet, yet no
one wears those skin tight suits.

I sort of understand why, but....

I also XC Ski on various club owned trails. The clothing that racers wear,
is also seen worn by those who just ski for fun.

Why does this happen?

Micheal

Because downhill racers are sacrificing comfort and warmth for a very
brief run where recreational downhill skiers are out there for hours.

With cross-country skiers, the athletes and the recreation participants
usage profile is much more similar.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 27th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 26, 8:13*pm, "Micheal Artindale"
wrote:
On TV when watching various races, you always see the competitors in helmets
and in skin tight suits.

At any hills/mountains I have skied at, some people wear a helmet, yet no
one wears those skin tight suits.

I sort of understand why, but....

I also XC Ski on various club owned trails. The clothing that racers wear,
is also seen worn by those who just ski for fun.

Why does this happen?

Micheal

I wear a skin-tight suit. Underneath three layers of fleece and gore-
tex.

Old January 27th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

Micheal Artindale wrote:
On TV when watching various races, you always see the competitors in helmets
and in skin tight suits.

I also see them put on a jacket soon after the race is over.

At any hills/mountains I have skied at, some people wear a helmet, yet no
one wears those skin tight suits.

Some rec skiers do more than one run.

-- Mike Treseler
Old January 27th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:28:41 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

I wear a skin-tight suit. Underneath three layers of fleece and gore-
tex.

Such looooxury! We could never afford such clothing. Underneath my
ski clothes, I'm naked.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old January 28th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Harry Weiner wrote:
Richard Henry wrote this crap:

I wear a skin-tight suit. Underneath three layers of fleece and gore-
tex.

Such looooxury! We could never afford such clothing. Underneath my
ski clothes, I'm naked.

You don't wear your temple garment? Heathen!

//Walt
Old January 28th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Micheal Artindale[_2_]

]...
"Micheal Artindale" wrote:

On TV when watching various races, you always see the competitors in
helmets
and in skin tight suits.

At any hills/mountains I have skied at, some people wear a helmet, yet no
one wears those skin tight suits.

I sort of understand why, but....

I also XC Ski on various club owned trails. The clothing that racers
wear,
is also seen worn by those who just ski for fun.

Why does this happen?

Micheal

Because downhill racers are sacrificing comfort and warmth for a very
brief run where recreational downhill skiers are out there for hours.

Makes sense, at least for those suits, but what about helmets? When I have
skied, only the little kids have them on. Wouldn't a helmet provide warmth?
Last winter, I took snowboard lessons, and i rented a helmet as well. I
found it to be all I needed on my head.... no need for a touque.

With cross-country skiers, the athletes and the recreation participants
usage profile is much more similar.

What do you mean?

Thanks,

Micheal

MT Washington is great.

Old January 28th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article UGdnj.43806$fj2.20627@edtnps82,
"Micheal Artindale" wrote:

]...
"Micheal Artindale" wrote:

[...]

Racers are wearing helmets because they are skiing much closer to the
edge of control at higher speeds than typical recreational skiers.
However, some recreational skiers feel they may as well take every
precaution they can.

What has this got to do with clothing?

With cross-country skiers, the athletes and the recreation participants
usage profile is much more similar.

What do you mean?

Cross-country athletes competing in their events are out in the
conditions for much the same time periods that a recreational
cross-country skier is out skiing. The athlete may cover more ground,
but both are expending energy and therefore dissipating heat at similar
rates and thus must wear similar clothing.

Thanks,

Micheal

MT Washington is great.

Old January 28th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:37:36 -0500, Walt wrote
this crap:

Harry Weiner wrote:
Richard Henry wrote this crap:

I wear a skin-tight suit. Underneath three layers of fleece and gore-
tex.

Such looooxury! We could never afford such clothing. Underneath my
ski clothes, I'm naked.

You don't wear your temple garment? Heathen!

You mean my cammies?

Old January 28th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

Harry Weiner wrote:
Richard Henry wrote this crap:

I wear a skin-tight suit. Underneath three layers of fleece and gore-
tex.
Such looooxury! We could never afford such clothing. Underneath my
ski clothes, I'm naked.

You don't wear your temple garment? Heathen!

You mean my cammies?

No, he means your not-so-skin-tight [1] skin.

[1] Having lost 50 lbs of course...

xc clothing repair/bonding question [email protected] Nordic Skiing 3 October 22nd 07 10:19 PM
Ladies Ski Clothing Judy Marketplace 0 May 6th 04 06:20 PM
CLOTHING ADVISE PLZ k European Ski Resorts 8 February 26th 04 09:55 PM
Noob clothing question.. Calz Snowboarding 5 December 2nd 03 11:08 PM
Where to buy clothing in UK? Tim Sampson Snowboarding 2 October 1st 03 10:33 AM