Thunderbird Set Up Help

Old October 25th 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Default Thunderbird Set Up Help

Im behind a proxy-server here at USU. I'm trying to set up
Thunderbird to access RSA and other groups...mainly so I can get at IP
addresses :-)

What do I type in for the address of the server ?
"rec.skiing.alpine" ?? Sorry...new to this sorta thing.

Old October 25th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Yabahoobs wrote:
Im behind a proxy-server here at USU. I'm trying to set up
Thunderbird to access RSA and other groups...mainly so I can get at IP
addresses :-)

What do I type in for the address of the server ?
"rec.skiing.alpine" ?? Sorry...new to this sorta thing.

Not sure, but news.usu.edu resolves for me to cc.usu.edu, so you may
be able to use news.usu.edu.

Non-authoritative answer:
news.usu.edu canonical name = cc.usu.edu.
Name: cc.usu.edu
Address: 129.123.1.87
Name: cc.usu.edu
Address: 129.123.1.89
Name: cc.usu.edu
Address: 129.123.1.117
Name: cc.usu.edu
Address: 129.123.1.150

-klaus

Old October 25th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

klaus wrote:
Yabahoobs wrote:
Im behind a proxy-server here at USU. I'm trying to set up
Thunderbird to access RSA and other groups...mainly so I can get at IP
addresses :-)

What do I type in for the address of the server ?
"rec.skiing.alpine" ?? Sorry...new to this sorta thing.

Not sure, but news.usu.edu resolves for me to cc.usu.edu, so you may
be able to use news.usu.edu.

Non-authoritative answer:
news.usu.edu canonical name = cc.usu.edu.
Name: cc.usu.edu
Address: 129.123.1.87
Name: cc.usu.edu
Address: 129.123.1.89
Name: cc.usu.edu
Address: 129.123.1.117
Name: cc.usu.edu
Address: 129.123.1.150

-klaus

Also, your ISP may not carry rsa on its server.
You may need to subscribe to a newsgroup heavy
server like news.individual.net. This is the old
German server that everybody used a few years ago
and it's now a premium site. It's only maybe
12 Euros a year and I find it worth it.

The only hassle I've found is that I forget how
I paid them the year before. It uses a European
credit card service, and since I only use it for
this one payment, it forgets about me and I
have to re-up every year. That would be OK, but
when I re-up and enter my email addy, they say
that that address is already in their system and
I wind up calling the US representative.
A fine waste of half an hour each year.

As for what Klaus said above, your computer
probably already knows this, but it's important.

The rest is simply finding a source for the
newsgroups you want to subscribe to.
Old October 25th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"VtSkier" wrote in message

Also, your ISP may not carry rsa on its server.
You may need to subscribe to a newsgroup heavy
server like news.individual.net.

Or, contact your ISP and ask them to carry it. It's worked for me.

Bob

Old October 25th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Bob F wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message

Also, your ISP may not carry rsa on its server.
You may need to subscribe to a newsgroup heavy
server like news.individual.net.

Or, contact your ISP and ask them to carry it. It's worked for me.

I'm assuming he is on a usu.edu computer, so they *are* his ISP. Also,
when I looked for the news server, I found a USU IT page that said
they carried all the Big 8 groups, so he should be fine. Of course he
could just login onto their VAX VMS cluster, and read it
their. Yikes!

http://cc.usu.edu/~bob/vmsnews/

-klaus

Old October 25th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

VtSkier wrote:

You may need to subscribe to a newsgroup heavy
server like news.individual.net. This is the old
German server that everybody used a few years ago
and it's now a premium site. It's only maybe
12 Euros a year and I find it worth it.

I agree. Works through firewalls without a peep.

The only hassle I've found is that I forget how
I paid them the year before. It uses a European
credit card service, and since I only use it for
this one payment, it forgets about me and I
have to re-up every year. That would be OK, but
when I re-up and enter my email addy, they say
that that address is already in their system and
I wind up calling the US representative.
A fine waste of half an hour each year.

Hmm. I get an email from ClickandBuy every year, and just
click somewhere to re-up. Haven't had a problem so far.
see: http://news.individual.net/faq.php#4.8

-- Mike Treseler
Old October 25th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

klaus wrote:

What do I type in for the address of the server ?
"rec.skiing.alpine" ?? Sorry...new to this sorta thing.

The news server address is all you need if you have a login/password.
Subscribe to groups after you are connected.
Related example:
http://news.individual.net/configuration/netscape7.php

-- Mike Treseler
Old October 26th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Oct 25, 4:50 pm, klaus wrote:
Bob F wrote:

"VtSkier" wrote in message

Also, your ISP may not carry rsa on its server.
You may need to subscribe to a newsgroup heavy
server like news.individual.net.

Or, contact your ISP and ask them to carry it. It's worked for me.

I'm assuming he is on a usu.edu computer, so they *are* his ISP. Also,
when I looked for the news server, I found a USU IT page that said
they carried all the Big 8 groups, so he should be fine. Of course he
could just login onto their VAX VMS cluster, and read it
their. Yikes!

http://cc.usu.edu/~bob/vmsnews/

-klaus

Niiiiiiice ! That did the trick.

Old October 26th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ,
klaus wrote:

I'm assuming he is on a usu.edu computer, so they *are* his ISP. Also,

I was thinkin'...

Of course he could just login onto their VAX VMS cluster, and read it [there].

OMG! Utah State runs a VAX Cluster? ****. Batch oriented operations.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old October 27th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ,
klaus wrote:

I'm assuming he is on a usu.edu computer, so they *are* his ISP. Also,

I was thinkin'...

Of course he could just login onto their VAX VMS cluster, and read it [there].

OMG! Utah State runs a VAX Cluster? ****. Batch oriented operations.

Batch? No. Multiuser/multitasking. Window system and everything.

-klaus