SNS vs. NNN

Old January 16th 05, 07:06 AM
wintermutt

Default SNS vs. NNN

hello. newbie question. is SNS any better or worse than NNN?
i may have to buy boots/bindings, seems like there is no difference
except that they are not interchangeable. like betamax and vhs.
thankyou.
bill
sacramento

Old January 16th 05, 09:32 AM
Camilo

"wintermutt" wrote in message
ups.com...
hello. newbie question. is SNS any better or worse than NNN?
i may have to buy boots/bindings, seems like there is no difference
except that they are not interchangeable. like betamax and vhs.
thankyou.
bill
sacramento

Bill - they are both excellent systems (I'm assuming you're talking about
the SNS Profil system) to me the only consideration is how well the boot
fits - fit your boot, then buy the binding that goes with that boot.

Cam

Old January 16th 05, 12:39 PM
Adam Gale

What type of ski are you using as well?? fisher, mashus, rossignol??
Cam is right, its all about the fit and comfort, personal preference. I
personally use NNN as I am a big fan of rossignol equipment. You are
right, no interchanging.

Old January 16th 05, 01:32 PM
Terje Henriksen

"Adam Gale" skrev i melding
What type of ski are you using as well?? fisher, mashus, rossignol??
Cam is right, its all about the fit and comfort, personal preference. I
personally use NNN as I am a big fan of rossignol equipment. You are
right, no interchanging.

On my old SNS bindings, the rubber flex kept falling off after some time.
Hasn't happened with my NNN bndings yet.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old January 17th 05, 12:16 PM

Camilo wrote:
"wintermutt" wrote in message
ups.com...

hello. newbie question. is SNS any better or worse than NNN?
i may have to buy boots/bindings, seems like there is no difference
except that they are not interchangeable. like betamax and vhs.
thankyou.
bill
sacramento

Bill - they are both excellent systems (I'm assuming you're talking

about
the SNS Profil system) to me the only consideration is how well

the boot
fits - fit your boot, then buy the binding that goes with that

boot.

Cam

Bill, If you find there is not much to choose between boots, I would
suggst that you go with the binding that is used most where you ski
most. It makes swapping skis easier. If you can, get the family
standardised on one binding.

Alex

Old January 18th 05, 07:04 PM
Jim Park

I have both SNS and NNN skis/boots. I find that both are good. However there
is one annoying thing that I find with NNN boots.

I live in an area which doesn't always have full snow coverage. Often I have
to take off my skis to walk across a road that is covered with cinders or
gravel. The narrower grooves on the bottom of my NNN boots often get small
stones stuck in them. I have to dig them out otherwise they interfere with
the binding. This does not happen with SNS because the single groove in the
boot is much wider. Too wide to get gravel stuck.

So far this is the only "practical" difference that I've found.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 18th 05, 07:35 PM
Camilo

Another couple of things to consider - just thrown out because I'm wasting
time today.

Someone mentioned keeping your family on one system. I agree - at least for
the family members who have a reasonable chance of using each others'
equipment and/or growing into it. For example, I always tried to keep my
kids in NNN gear because they could hand-me-down and also the other families
we know who would give gear back and forth tended to have NNN. It worked
out well. Another family we know stuck with the Salomon system for the
same reasons.

Now, I'm the sole man in a three woman family. My girls (wife and
daughters) are all around the same height and weight or will be when they're
grown up. So, it's to everyone's advantage for them to be in the same
system. It's already been a benefit as my HS daughter has found her mom's
classic skis can be faster, and mom doesn't really care - so they've
switched. It turns out that two of them really fit better in Alpina boots
and the other has only found Rossignol to be satisfactory. They've tried
Salomon system boots but haven't found them (luckily) to be significantly
better, in fact, not at all.

The above mentioned family sticks with Salomon system for the exact same
reasons.

Something I ran across recently that gives somewhat of a nod to NNN - or
Salomon profil (not Pilot): Skiathlons (AKA pursuit races). Assuming you
don't want to buy or use combi boots for skiathlon format races, being in
NNN or Profil (not Pilot) systems for both classic and skating gear gives
you the option of using either your striding OR skating boots for both legs
of the race. If you have mixed systems, you have to change boots. If you
have Profil for striding skis and Pilot for skating, you do have the option
of using your Pilot boots for both legs, but not vice versa. This is the
system I have and I absolutely HATE to stride in my skating boots, and
therefore had to change boots for the dual technique race. I would have
gladly skated in my classic boots but didn't have that option.

Just some musings.

Camilo

Old January 19th 05, 02:53 AM
Gary Jacobson

"wintermutt" wrote in message
hello. newbie question. is SNS any better or worse than NNN?
i may have to buy boots/bindings, seems like there is no difference
except that they are not interchangeable. like betamax and vhs.
thankyou.
bill
sacramento

I use both systems and have a strong favorite- NNN.
I think it is a sturdier binding over all, and the rubber flexors are firmly
attached. The sole plates are stronger and easier to remount if the need
arises.

I have had one of the newer NNN bindings break but it was likely the first
run of the binding. I think maybe the plastic was brittle. Since then the
NNN's I've had have sustained robust handling with no problems..

The newest version of NNN attaches to the ski with no screws. (I think.)
Can't imagine what the benefits are.

If the question is if one should choose a system based on the binding, then
I say that it is the boot that counts.

I think that Sportful and Alfa flipped from NNN to Salomon a few years back
but I wonder if a boot manufacturer could at once make boots under each
license.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old January 20th 05, 12:54 PM
wintermutt

what is the difference between NNN and NNN2 and NNNbc?
and also will NNN2 bindings work with NNN boots and also the other way
around?
thankyou.

Old January 20th 05, 02:49 PM
SkiFit

The original NNN system rembled NNN2 where the binding meets the boot,
but did not have the grove binding/boot interface. With the grooves,
there is now greater connection between binding and ski, which allows
for greater control and energy transfer. NNN and NN2 systems NNN-BC
(backcountry) resembles the old system, but is both wider and
presumbably heavier duty for true back country skiing. However, I
think most backcountry/telemark skiers continue to use three-pin. I
ski on skinny skis, so I'm not sure about advantages there. Each of
these systems is distinct and cannot be used with the other, and I
doubt you coud buy NNN now, it has gone the way of the Super Eight
camera.

A.