ST-Anton info appreciated

Old January 5th 05, 09:45 PM
Luc Desroches

Default ST-Anton info appreciated

This will be my first trip to St-Anton starting Jan 22. We are a group
of strong intermediate and expert skiers. Which are the best areas for
off- piste, where are the most challenging runs? Do we need a guide?
Can we ski to Lech and Zurs or do we have to take a shuttle?
Any do's and don'ts? All info appreciated.
Also info on restaurants and night life also appreciated.
We are staying at the Montjolla Hotel....can we ski back to hotel?

Thanks,

Luc
Old January 5th 05, 11:30 PM
Steve Haigh

Luc Desroches wrote:

This will be my first trip to St-Anton starting Jan 22. We are a group
of strong intermediate and expert skiers.

In that case I can almost guarentee you will have a great time in St Anton!

Which are the best areas for
off- piste, where are the most challenging runs?

Just about everywhere has great off-piste when the conditions are right.
It's well worth picking up the local guide book, on sale in the bookshop
on the main street (opposite the Alte Post Hotel) - it has tons of
useful info. Can't remember the name or author, but it's a blue book and
it's very obvious - called something like "St Anton Off-Piste".

Stuben is famous for great powder, and the Valluga is another obvious
choice. The run down to Langen (get the train back) is a famous trip,
sadly I've yet to do it myself:-(

Do we need a guide?

No, you don't *need*, but you might want to hire one. I've skied a lot
in St Anton and I probably know about 10% of the good off-piste, a guide
will not only find the good stuff but also find stuff that is less
tracked out - there are so many strong skiers in St Anton it gets
tracked out in no time after a storm. A friend of mine who had lived
there for 5 years went on an off-piste course with the ski school and he
skied new runs every day for a week - a lot of it was accessed by short
hikes or skins and they found great snow days after the main areas had
been tracked out. I don't think there is any glacier skiing so you can
just hire an instructor, they don't need to be a full mountain guide to
take you off piste.

Can we ski to Lech and Zurs or do we have to take a shuttle?

You can with a guide (you are not allowed on the lift without one), but
otherwise take the bus from St Anton. There is a lot of great off-piste
in Zurs too!

Any do's and don'ts? All info appreciated.

Get up early if there's new snow, and get in line for the cable car.

Also info on restaurants and night life also appreciated.

There are so many places to go I wouldn't know where to begin, but I
always seem to end up in the Platzl at the end of an evening. It's a
small place that often has live music. There are loads of others though
- probably worth hiring a guide for this too:-)

We are staying at the Montjolla Hotel....can we ski back to hotel?

Sorry, not sure about that. You can't ski back to all that many hotels
in St Anton, but that's not a problem because you can ski to loads of
bars and worry about getting home a bit later... usually far too much
later in my case. Struggling down the street at midnight with your ski
boots still on and your skis over your shoulder is all part of the St
Anton experience and you'll end up doing at least once on you holiday.
Old January 6th 05, 03:53 PM
STREBOR

Hi, Luc,

Luke Here.

Steve's info is good. I go to St Anton frequently and love it's off piste!

This will be my first trip to St-Anton starting Jan 22. We are a group
of strong intermediate and expert skiers. Which are the best areas for
off- piste, where are the most challenging runs? Do we need a guide?

I like Stuben most. It's usually not as busy as the Valluga and the St Anton
area. Two old lifts get you up to paradise. After that there are runs that
start at the top of the lift and end near the bottom at Stuben again, and
you won't see a piste all the way down. Beware though. Don't simply go
flying down the montains! I have seen many a skier on the edge of a small
cliff at Stuben. Study the mountains as you go up in the chairs first! The
Albona is a great mountain slope to go down at Stuben. Get out of the ablona
II lift and carry on straight on and a bit to your left. No hike needed and
you will get to the albona slope. When you see the weird huge concrete dice
like building (which is an airduct for the tunnel under the Albona
mountain), aim your board or skies straight down, build up speed and enjoy
super G turns :-)

Also the trip to Langen is great! You can get a train back to St Abton, or
gt a minicab back to Stuben.

Can we ski to Lech and Zurs or do we have to take a shuttle?
Any do's and don'ts? All info appreciated.
Also info on restaurants and night life also appreciated.

If you like Austrian Apres ski, visit Mooser Wirt. You can't miss ist as it
is on the slopes and is allways busy (in and out!). The server an exellent
lunch! Also the PostKeller is good for Apres Ski and live music. Later in
the evening try the Funky Chicken (they server excellent food!).

We are staying at the Montjolla Hotel....can we ski back to hotel?

The first time I went to St Anton, I stayed here too. A good hotel,
excellent food, but unfortunatly *if you like the apres ski* it's up the
hill again. It's a 10m walk or a shuttle, but we were allways to late for
the last shuttle ;-) Also, even if you skip the apres ski, you can't ski to
it, as behind it there is a stream and a gorge.

Have Fun,

Luke

Thanks,

Luc

Old January 18th 05, 06:36 AM
Lars

STREBOR wrote:
[...]

Nordic apres ski found in Krazy Kanguruh, up the mountain, opposite of
the Mooserwirt. Just a little higher.
Old January 18th 05, 08:26 AM
Ace

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:36:20 +0100, Lars wrote:

St. Anton

Nordic apres ski found in Krazy Kanguruh, up the mountain, opposite of
the Mooserwirt. Just a little higher.

What exactly is 'Nordic' aprés ski, anyway? Is it just the term used
for those who stay up there until ten o'clock getting completely
paralytic and then ski down to the base, often ending up halfway
across the road?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 18th 05, 03:07 PM
Brains

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:26:12 +0100, Ace wrote:

What exactly is 'Nordic' aprés ski, anyway?

"Auslander", this is where you can hit large nails into blocks of
wood whilst downing Williams (i.e. Pear Schnapps).