Shock Poles for Roller Skiing

Old March 29th 04, 03:04 AM
Comcast

Default Shock Poles for Roller Skiing

Just went out for a seasonal goodbye rollerski. Amazingly like the real
thing except my aging arthritic elbow and seperated shoulder don't like the
shock from my aluminum poles. Does anyone have experience with the shock
poles or modifying existing poles with shock absorbers. I have 5 months to
think about a solution (including converting some old carbon fiber poles I
own).

Old March 29th 04, 03:38 AM
Gary Jacobson

Trek/Kneissel had an "energy return" pole many years back that did a great
job of absorbing shock. Don't know if they made it out of prototype stage.
Idea was to store and return energy at a more advantageous time in pole
cycle. Hmmm..

The current hiking poles with springs in them are too heavy for roller
skiing.
In fact, weight may be more a factor than shock absorption when it comes to
tendenitis and shoulder problems and roller skiing.

I know I usually do better with a stiff light carbon fiber pole than a
springy, heavier aluminum pole that "absorbs" shock.

That said, I wish I hadn't lost (or were they stolen) a pair of Swiss
"Kangaroo poles" that were arc shaped. They really did absorb shock. Whether
they helped avoid joint problems, I'm not so sure.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY (Getting amped up to roller ski for next season.)

"Comcast" wrote in message
Just went out for a seasonal goodbye rollerski. Amazingly like the real
thing except my aging arthritic elbow and seperated shoulder don't like

the
shock from my aluminum poles. Does anyone have experience with the shock
poles or modifying existing poles with shock absorbers. I have 5 months to
think about a solution (including converting some old carbon fiber poles I
own).

Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 08:03 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM
F/S Swix Alu Lite Roller Skiing Poles 2 pairs $50.00 shipped David F Nordic Skiing 0 October 29th 03 06:10 PM
F/S Swix Alu Lite Roller Skiing Poles 2 pairs $50.00 shipped David F Nordic Skiing 0 August 24th 03 03:53 AM