Suggestions for Easter weekend skiing ... ?

Old March 29th 04, 07:14 AM
Vulpes Argenteus

Default Suggestions for Easter weekend skiing ... ?

Having just got back from a week on the slopes in La Plagne, we're firmly
in the grip of the bug ...

We'd like to go away for three days on the piste over Easter weekend (Leave
Thurs night, back Monday night) and would appreciate any suggestions that
fellow folk might have - agencies, online resources, tasteful
self-advertisements - as to how / where would be good to book at short
notice.

Some details:

Number people: 3 skiers

Destination: Europe

Maximum Transfer: 1.5 hours from airport
Would prefer pick-up but can hire/drive

Ability: 1 mid blue, 2 mid-upper red

Style: Consider self-cater / hotel / chalet services

Children: No - in fact SCROOGEwould prefer to avoid
kids/SCROOGE. Sorry!

Budget: Up to £600 or so per person - incl flight, tax,
accom. excludes ski hire, passes, beer tokens

Cheers

Martin (sandylane.d.c.u)
--
Remove ".spam." from my address to email
Old March 29th 04, 09:15 AM
Steve Haigh

Vulpes Argenteus wrote:
[...]

Well, those criteria probably cover more than half of the Alps, but my
suggestion for a quick weekend at Easter would be the Grand Massif -
it's high enough to have good snow and is under an hour from Geneva.

These guys http://www.lescarrozski.com/index.html
are great, we stayed with them for a long weekend earlier in the
season after a local hotelier let us down. We hired a car but they can
arrange a pick up (they have a big 4x4 so they will probably collect you
rather than using a taxi, so that will be pretty cheap too). They have
availability on the website so you should be in luck, I think they only
do weekends at short notice as they prefer to take full week bookings,
but I guess if they have room now they'll be pretty pleased to take you.
You'll need to sort your own flights, but Expedia and the like should
make that pretty painless. Les Carroz itself is not all that high (1200m
?) but if that is a problem it is only a few minutes up the road to
Flaine. The whole area is on a single pass. www.skiflaine.com has more info.

Wherever you go I'd double check the conditions and forecast before you
book - Easter isn't too late but it worth just checking. Also, flights
may be a more of a problem than accomodation, so make sure you have them
booked before you pay any deposits.
Old March 29th 04, 08:32 PM
denis

Vulpes Argenteus wrote:

- agencies,

I've driven an awful lot of customers from "white rock ski", all of them
for 2-3-4 days holidays, they overall sounded pleased with their holiday,
but can't help much more. I think they specialize in what you' looking for.

cheers,
Old March 29th 04, 09:48 PM
Johannes

Hi

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:14:43 +0100, Vulpes Argenteus
wrote:

Number people: 3 skiers

Destination: Europe

Maximum Transfer: 1.5 hours from airport
Would prefer pick-up but can hire/drive

Ability: 1 mid blue, 2 mid-upper red

Style: Consider self-cater / hotel / chalet services

Children: No - in fact SCROOGEwould prefer to avoid
kids/SCROOGE. Sorry!

Budget: Up to £600 or so per person - incl flight, tax,
accom. excludes ski hire, passes, beer tokens

I found yesterday this Package, when i was search news, about the new
lift project.
http://www.titlis.ch/index.taf?id=00...li_ic=&cli_ec=

include 3 nights, halfboard, 3day liftricket.
But no flight
But Zurich and Basel is 1.5-1.75h away by car.
Easy Jet got now 2 Destinations from UK to Basel.
If you invest 1h more, you can also use bus and train.

Johannes
Old March 30th 04, 07:07 AM
Ace

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:48:23 +0200, Johannes
wrote:

I found yesterday this Package, when i was search news, about the new
lift project.
http://www.titlis.ch/index.taf?id=00...li_ic=&cli_ec=

include 3 nights, halfboard, 3day liftricket.
But no flight
But Zurich and Basel is 1.5-1.75h away by car.
Easy Jet got now 2 Destinations from UK to Basel.
If you invest 1h more, you can also use bus and train.

Looks good, although I'll be going further afield. Having said that,
apparently there was close to a metre of Fresh snow there at the
weekend, giving fantastic conditions. Sadly, we'd gone further East to
chase the snow that fell towards the end of the week. Had a good w/e
in St. Anton though and conditions were pretty damn good.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 31st 04, 08:21 AM
Vulpes Argenteus

wrote:

We'd like to go away for three days on the piste over Easter weekend (Leave
Thurs night, back Monday night) and would appreciate any suggestions that
fellow folk might have - agencies, online resources, tasteful
self-advertisements - as to how / where would be good to book at short
notice.

Many thanks to all for your help ! Off to the slopes !!

Cheers

Martin (sandylane.d.c.u)
--
Remove ".spam." from my address to email