new 2 snowboarding

Old October 21st 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
ecstasyunearthed

Default new 2 snowboarding

hi. one of my friends wants to take me snowboarding and i have no gear
and i rather not spend money on rentals. any advice on what to get for
the best women's boards boots bindings etc? thanks

Old October 21st 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

ecstasyunearthed wrote:
hi. one of my friends wants to take me snowboarding and i have no gear
and i rather not spend money on rentals. any advice on what to get for
the best women's boards boots bindings etc? thanks

Unless your friend is a really good teacher, I think most people would
recommend that you get a beginner package that includes rentals and
lessons. If you are just going for one or two days, I'm not sure it's
worth it to buy a full gear setup. If you do buy anything, make sure to
buy extremely well-fitting boots. The boot should be extremely snug
such that your toes just touch the tip of the boot, but not so much
that it curls your toes uncomfortable. Your heel should not lift up as
you bend your knees and move your weight onto the balls of your feet.
There should be no pressure points, or loose spots, and the boot
shouldn't wrinkle funny when you flex it. I cannot iterate how
important this is for you own comfort and for performance. The boots
should be stiff enough such that it is perhaps a tiny bit awkward to
walk in (these boots are not really made for walking, they are made for
snowboarding).

I personally recommend Salomon women's boots as the one pull laces are
much easier to tighten for most people. Salomon Ivy is a great board.
Salomon bindings fit well with the boots. That's just an opinion. I
would NOT get cheap Burton gear, it's not very good. The high end stuff
is good, but it's expensive.

Good luck

Old October 23rd 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
z?

hi. one of my friends wants to take me snowboarding and i have no gear
and i rather not spend money on rentals. any advice on what to get for
the best women's boards boots bindings etc? thanks

If you're looking to really get into it, consider as much protective
gear as you can to make learning more fun. I started 6 years ago and
bashed a rib, but with advice from people (including Lonerider who also
answered your query) I ended up with a body-top with shoulder and rib
pads, a lid (a couple of years and some major mash-ups later),
knee-pads and very importantly tailbone protector / shorts!

Old October 23rd 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
redlodge

z? wrote:
hi. one of my friends wants to take me snowboarding and i have no gear

and i rather not spend money on rentals. any advice on what to get for
the best women's boards boots bindings etc? thanks

If you're looking to really get into it, consider as much protective
gear as you can to make learning more fun. I started 6 years ago and
bashed a rib, but with advice from people (including Lonerider who also
answered your query) I ended up with a body-top with shoulder and rib
pads, a lid (a couple of years and some major mash-ups later),
knee-pads and very importantly tailbone protector / shorts!

That is some good advice on protecting the bod. I will second the
bucket, do not even think about heading out if you are a novice and are
not going to wear a lid. It is a must, and if you are interested in
protecting your head even more an athletic mouthpiece will also help.
It will keep your head from concussing and could help you from
chipping/knocking a tooth out. Beginners fall a lot and getting hurt
makes learning even more difficult. Stick to it and once you get the
swing of it, you will love boarding.

Old October 28th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

In addition to the above good advice, I would add:

Check out if any of the places you could go have deals where if someone
brings in a beginner who takes a lesson, the other person gets a free
lift ticket. They do this at some resorts, Killington, VT for
example.

Even if your buddy is a good teacher, it doesn't work out very well.
To teach you means your buddy is going to be tied up with you, instead
of riding. What I've found works best is for a beginner to take at
least a couple of lessons. When the lessons are over each day and
they are practicing, I join them for a bit, give some pointers, then go
back to riding the rest of the mountain for awhile, while they
practice. I repeat this a few times during the day, which works out
well for both of us.