Oakley lens color choices?

Old January 31st 06, 10:08 PM

Default Oakley lens color choices?

I'm looking at buying another pair of Oakley goggles and am trying to
decide on what color lens to get. Right now I have a pair of A Frame
Fire Iridium lenses and while they look cool, they are crap as far as
helping with seeing snow clearly. I think I will use the current Fire
lens goggles primarily for bright days.

So, what I'm looking at is something for cloudy, overcast or light snow
days. I have a pair of motorcycle goggles that have a yellow tint and
these do a much better job of highlighting the snow you can see the
terrain better. What I'm considering, is either Oakley Yellow Hi
Intensity or Persimmon Hi Intensity Lenses. Most goggles from
manufacturers seem to be in colors similar to the Persimmon, which is
sort of an orange color.

Curiously though, a lot of the Oakleys seem to be selling with the Hi
Intensity Yellow lens. In fact, in the Wisdom line, which is what I'm
considering, most of the frame/lens combos in hi intensity feature the
yellow, not the persimmon. It's actually hard to find the persimmon in
a decent frame color, they don;t even offer it in a black frame.
According to Oakley, the yellow transmits 90% of the light and is
suited to indoor use, while persimmon transmits 59% and is for
overcast. Which seems kind of strange, as I can;t believe that many
folks are buying yellow goggles to use indoors?

The Oakly website is pretty weak. All they give is info on how much
light a lens transmits and that all the lenses in a certain range, are
for a certain condition, eg overcast Yet, they offer several different
color lenses that transmit the same and are for the same condition:
violet, light blue, VR50, HI Persimmom, Persimmon. Titanium Clear
All these transmit about the same and are for overcast. You would
think they would give some additional guidance as to why one would
choose one over the other. Or is it all just how it looks from the
outside? I did try a hi intensity vs regular persimmons lens at a shop
and looking at snow outside, the hi intensity did appear to sharpen
things up.

Anyone have any direct experience or thoughts, particularly on yellow
vs the persimmon (orangey color)?

Old January 31st 06, 11:45 PM

I'm looking at buying another pair of Oakley goggles and am trying to
decide on what color lens to get. ....
-snip-
Anyone have any direct experience or thoughts, particularly on yellow
vs the persimmon (orangey color)?

Link w/ the lens colors, courtesy of the store downstairs from my office:
http://www.sportsvisionbend.com/cgi-...e/Catalog/2337

If you ride in fog, or under thick overcast skies, or at night, I highly
recommend the "High Intensity Yellow" lens. (Note: It used to be called
High Intensity Blue, due to the blue tint on the outside lens. However,
from the inside, the H.I. Blue looked very yellow. They just renamed it
this year to avoid continued confusion). This lens really does bring out
the contrast which allows you to see the snow contour in low light. They
are aweosme for night riding.

In general, high contrast lenses are a good thing. I've tried on a number
of Oakley lenses in the store, and found that H.I Yellow and VR28 offer the
best contrast. VR28 is much like "driving lenses" in sunglasses. (They
are non-Iridium and therefore $85 instead of $120 including frames.)

Mike T

Old February 1st 06, 12:23 AM

The persimmons or amber lens are basically you're all-around lens and
are the most common and would be best if you don't know what you are
going to be riding. Get the yellows if you are night rider or you want
something that will let you see the snow better when the lighting gets
super flat.

I find the yellows perform better in "persimmon conditions" than the
persimmons do in "yellow conditions", FWIW. I'd personally rather deal with
a little extra glare than not see the bumps on flat flight but that's just
me. I do a lot of carving and off-psite riding, both of which require you
to be able to see subtlelties in the snow if you want to avoid some nasty
spills.

Mike T

Old February 1st 06, 01:15 AM

Mike T wrote:
The persimmons or amber lens are basically you're all-around lens and
are the most common and would be best if you don't know what you are
going to be riding. Get the yellows if you are night rider or you want
something that will let you see the snow better when the lighting gets
super flat.

I find the yellows perform better in "persimmon conditions" than the
persimmons do in "yellow conditions", FWIW. I'd personally rather deal with
a little extra glare than not see the bumps on flat light but that's just
me. I do a lot of carving and off-psite riding, both of which require you
to be able to see subtlelties in the snow if you want to avoid some nasty
spills.

Mike T

That's a good point. I did use yellows a bit when I was in New England
since I had a pair of goggles with interchangeable yellow and amber
lens. I think though that it was sunny more often than it was dark and
since I dislike glare, I ended up just using the ambers. I've nominally
tried to compensate by developing faster reflexes and learning to let
my legs "feel out the snow." Not too sure how well that actually works
for me. Maybe I should give yellow lenses another go.

Old February 1st 06, 01:30 AM

lonerider wrote:

That's a good point. I did use yellows a bit when I was in New England
since I had a pair of goggles with interchangeable yellow and amber
lens.

Here I mean to say once I moved to California, in Lake Tahoe it has
been sunny more often than not.

Old February 1st 06, 02:00 AM

I have six pairs of A-frame goggles and a pair of Wisdoms.. My
favorite by far is the VR50 because it's good for early season sun and
mild Overcast. Next would be the Hi Intensity yellow which is
unbeatable in low light and acceptable at night. For sun after the
middle of February I like the VR28; it's definately not an "overcast"
lens like the marketing says.

I have a persimmon lens that fits somewhere in the middle between the
VR28 and and the VR50. I don't use it much.. I have a VR28 mirrored
in the Wisdom that I like but I don't like the fit of the Wisdom frame.

Anything less than 25% light transmission I find pretty useless.. Too
dark. Irridiums look cool but I'm not sure they do much.

Overstock.com has good prices on A-frame goggles right now..

Old February 1st 06, 03:54 AM

Mike, so would the ones on the later mentioned "Overstock.com" labeled as
Hi-intensity Blue actually be the same as the Hi-intensity Yellows you
mention (last years terminology or something)? This past Saturday at Donner
it was very difficult to see the changes in the terrain and anything that
would have helped would have been very welcome.

Stan.

"Mike T" wrote in message
[...]

News==----

Newsgroups