What happened (long)

Old September 13th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Benny

Default What happened (long)

"Ian White" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:52:19 +0200, Ace wrote:

So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work -

snip

My cousin is 12 months on from a car smash that left her with a
similarly long list of damage. It's a *long* way back from something
like that and you're obviously aware of this.

My brother whilst losing the tail rotor on the jet ranger he was flying
decided to spiral 300 feet to the ground and suffered the same sort of-ish
damage [1]. He was out of work for 6 months, got better and went back flying
without regrets.

When asked if he would fly again, he replied "I'd be a **** not to, I enjoy
it too much and cost me to much to get the licenses"

He remembers the rotor removing itself and getting having to get some
airspeed as he was almost in a hover at the time, then doesn't remember a
lot till he got to the hospital [2]

When his boss ran to the wreck of the chopper he said whilst concussed "What
happened?" his boss replied "Calm down mate, you've had an accident", he
replied "I know I've had a ****ing accident, what happened?"

So basically, take it easy, relax and get better and slow down in that
corner next time.

--
Benny

[1] When I drove from Vegas (where he lives) to LA where he was in hospital,
as I went out there for a holiday, when i saw him with the bruises and black
eyes, he look the spitting image of Beetle juice.
[2] Ex-pat mates bought him a toy jet ranger, jumped on it, bent it and
mangled it then hung it over his bed, the nurses were horrified as septics
have no sense of humor.

Old September 13th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Nursey

Ace wrote:

[4] Patient controlled analgaesia. Push a button to get more morphine,
with a 12-minute delay between doses.

12, twelve? Feck, we set ours to a 5 minute delay!

--
Nursey RN
ALS Provider OSOS#25 MIRTTH#6 IbW#09 4#COFF EFFA MOP#1
Old September 13th 06, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

Benny wrote:

My brother whilst losing the tail rotor on the jet ranger he was
flying decided to spiral 300 feet to the ground and suffered the same
sort of-ish damage [1]. He was out of work for 6 months, got better
and went back flying without regrets.

Pretty amazing to survive an accident like that. Choppers do not appear
to have safety cells and most impacts are fatal.

--
Hog
'96 *******12 '89 R100RS '81 XS650 '78 RD400

Old September 13th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

Nursey wrote:
Ace wrote:

[4] Patient controlled analgaesia. Push a button to get more
morphine, with a 12-minute delay between doses.

12, twelve? Feck, we set ours to a 5 minute delay!

But only for personal use?

Old September 13th 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Alex Heney

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:13:16 +0100, Champ wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:52:19 +0200, Ace wrote:

Finally a doctor gets there, maybe 30-40 minutes after the crash, and
I think she gives me some morphine at this point, which helps the
breathing somewhat and dulls the awareness of what's happening. A
helicopter arrives shortly afterwards

You got a ride in a heli? *******.

I get the feeling he wasn't aware enough to get the most out of the
experience :-)
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Only those who do nothing make no mistakes.
Old September 13th 06, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Monz

"Ace" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:48:12 +0100, "Buzby" wrote:

I'd defy _anybody_ to
be physically, let alone mentally, capable of dropping a bike into a
bend with 90%+ of front anchors applied. The forces working against
this are just too strong.

I've tried that one... snapped ACL was the result

--
Monz

Old September 13th 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Hog

Monz wrote:
"Ace" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:48:12 +0100, "Buzby" wrote:

I'd defy _anybody_ to
be physically, let alone mentally, capable of dropping a bike into a
bend with 90%+ of front anchors applied. The forces working against
this are just too strong.

I've tried that one... snapped ACL was the result

Because you applied so much force through the footpeg or because you
binned it, again

Old September 13th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Benny

"Hog" wrote in message
Benny wrote:

My brother whilst losing the tail rotor on the jet ranger he was
flying decided to spiral 300 feet to the ground and suffered the same
sort of-ish damage [1]. He was out of work for 6 months, got better
and went back flying without regrets.

Pretty amazing to survive an accident like that. Choppers do not appear
to have safety cells and most impacts are fatal.

Just chatting with him on MSN and he says it was 175 feet, but still high
enough. All the guys said that it was his skills as a pilot that saved his
life. He was towing a banner[1] at labour day weekend and it was his last
flight before flying back. The banner didn't unfold and basically turned
into a wing and the cable removed the tail rotor. His wife wanted to fly
with him on that one but they said no. Luckily for her she wasn't allowed to
go as he hit the ground on the left side.

[1] Company who's banner it was says it was safe [2] and he now admits that
it was probably the most stupid thing he has done, and wont be doing again.
[2] Now being sued for **** loads of $$, and brothers company don't fly
banners anymore.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...06X01386&key=1 says seriously
injured, but wasn't as worse as it made out.

Old September 13th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:20:03 +0100, darsy wrote:

"Le Dieu" wrote:

Has Ace mentioned whether or not he'll ride again?

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride again.

I wouldn't.
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle
Old September 13th 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Eiron

Monz wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:48:12 +0100, "Buzby" wrote:

I'd defy _anybody_ to
be physically, let alone mentally, capable of dropping a bike into a
bend with 90%+ of front anchors applied. The forces working against
this are just too strong.

I've tried that one... snapped ACL was the result

You have an access control list on your bike? That's cool!

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.