Anyone for something ON topic?

Old October 31st 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Sam

Default Anyone for something ON topic?

Hey, some of us have been out playing on our boards.
If you folks are not sick of Loveland pictures, I took
some more last Saturday (after a bunch more terrain
opened up). So, if you want to see RECENT snow pictures
and think about snow sports, see my last two entries
on my site:
http://www.iskico.com
Thats I Ski Colorado dot com.
Anyway, I may have missed opening weekend, but I am
back in my winter style.
No big snows in the forecast for this week, so maybe
I need to see Loveland just one day this weekend rather
than both days. Last weekend was REAL nice.

BTW, If you go through the pictures in order, reading the
captions at the top, it kind of tells the story of the day.

Anyone going to A-Basin with a story to tell? All I have
been hearing at Loveland is how ugly the lines are there.
I know from a few years ago, looking firsthand, that the
stories are very likely true.

Opening this Friday: Keystone, Copper Mtn.

Sam "Postin' on topic, just cuz I can" Seiber
Old October 31st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Sam wrote:
[...]

I've heard horror stories about the lines at the Basin too. They
finally have a second lift open so it shouldn't be as bad now. I may
try to get over there Thursday or Friday. Things should settle down
once Keystone and Copper are open Friday. Brecks been making snow
every day and has some good coverage by now but the natural snow is
getting pretty crusty. They open next Friday and should be able to
open up with a few trails.

From what I hear, the new Gondola a ahead of schedule and should be

open by Xmas. The bottom terminal is close to being finished but
there's still a bit to go on the top. Only problem is that parking
will be even worse now because they are going to be charging $10 for
the two lots the gondola services. Now you will park for free on
Airport Road and be bussed even further. It's really going to **** off
a lot of people.

snoig

Old October 31st 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Marty

Sam wrote:

Opening this Friday: Copper Mtn.

Me and the kids will be there! Can't wait. Your pictures have me
fired up!

Thanks!
--
Marty

Old October 31st 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

snoig wrote:
Sam wrote:
[...]

From what I hear, the new Gondola a ahead of schedule and should be

open by Xmas. The bottom terminal is close to being finished but
there's still a bit to go on the top. Only problem is that parking
will be even worse now because they are going to be charging $10 for
the two lots the gondola services. Now you will park for free on
Airport Road and be bussed even further. It's really going to **** off
a lot of people.

snoig

Any pictures/maps/sketches of the gondola posted anywhere? When I was
last in Breck in early Sept, it looked like the gondola was going to
have to make a fairly sharp bend when it came up to Peak 7 from the
base in town and then turned southward toward Peak 8. I hope the
transition is less bumpy than the bend in the Snowflake lift. Also, it
looked like a fairly long uphill hike from the new Peak 7 gondola
station to the existing Peak 7 chairlift. Are they trying to get
everyone to stay on the gondola and go over to Peak 8? That will make
the lines at 8 even worse than usual.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Old October 31st 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

wrote:
snoig wrote:
Sam wrote:
[...]

From what I hear, the new Gondola a ahead of schedule and should be

[...]

That's pretty much how it will work. This year they are still working
on the new Peak 7 base area so you will only be able to unload at Peak
8. Once the new base area is finished they are planning to extend the
Independance (Peak 7) lift by about 100 yards so it will go right out
of the base area. They will also reroute Ski Hill Road so it goes
straight through to the new base area and the current road should
become a ski trail.

Old October 31st 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bill Armstrong

snoig wrote:

Sam wrote:

[...]

From what I hear, the new Gondola a ahead of schedule and should be

open by Xmas. The bottom terminal is close to being finished but
there's still a bit to go on the top. Only problem is that parking
will be even worse now because they are going to be charging $10 for
the two lots the gondola services. Now you will park for free on
Airport Road and be bussed even further. It's really going to **** off
a lot of people.

snoig

Greetings -

I tried to hit the basin last Friday. Some I-70 jams due to wrecks and
anxious hounds delayed my arrival until 9:30. 45 - 60 minute line on
exhibition, so I simply picked up my pass and went back to Loveland for
a half day. Loveland was sweet with 2 lifts, though still busy by early
season standards of the past. Thursday's dump was inspiring lots of
front range flex timers I suspect (mea cupla). When asked the woman in
the basin pass office indicated no plan to open another lift at the
basing until the weekend. The scene on the Pass was crazy as hell, must
have been over 100 people hiking and poaching, and interesting traffic
navigation for the truckers. I'm thinking Mondays may be the day to get
out to avoid the masses this season. So long to Fridays Basin's "all
dead, all day" deck breaks.

Cheers

--
Bill Armstrong - For rent

"It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid."
- George Bernard Shaw
Old October 31st 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Sam Seiber

Marty wrote:
Me and the kids will be there! Can't wait. Your pictures have me
fired up!

Thanks!

You are welcome. Granted I have a ton of Loveland pix up, but it is
getting
to a point where this some historical weather data on the site now.

Sadly, it doesn't look like much for snow in the forecast, but lets hope
Ullr returns Real Soon Now. Make sure you get up there for first tracks
in the groomed. Should feel real good!

Sam "this space for rent" Seiber
Old October 31st 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Sam Seiber

snoig wrote:

Sam wrote:
Anyone going to A-Basin with a story to tell? All I have
been hearing at Loveland is how ugly the lines are there.
I know from a few years ago, looking firsthand, that the
stories are very likely true.

I've heard horror stories about the lines at the Basin too. They
finally have a second lift open so it shouldn't be as bad now. I may
try to get over there Thursday or Friday. Things should settle down
once Keystone and Copper are open Friday.

Adding Key will get some of the pressure off the Basin. Copper won't
help much, but will start getting more Denverites out of town. Ahh,
so much for the easy drive up I-70. Well, actually, we still have
a month of decent drives on '70.

From what I hear, the new Gondola a ahead of schedule and should be

open by Xmas. The bottom terminal is close to being finished but
there's still a bit to go on the top. Only problem is that parking
will be even worse now because they are going to be charging $10 for
the two lots the gondola services. Now you will park for free on
Airport Road and be bussed even further. It's really going to **** off
a lot of people.

Leave it to Vail Assoc to cough up more ways for us to cough up more $$.
I still havn't picked up my Bonus pass at the Basin. At $279, and a
season
of Loveland yet to ski, I am still on the fence. I wouldn't mind
getting
a few cheap days in at Key & Breck. I am not big in paying for parking.
At Key, you the free parking costs in the mile walk to the lift. Well,
maybe
just under a mile ;-) Maybe this is a year I should deny Vail Assoc ANY
of my
$$. Still thinking.

Sam "Will panhandle for parking money" Seiber
Old October 31st 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Sam Seiber wrote:
Adding Key will get some of the pressure off the Basin. Copper won't
help much, but will start getting more Denverites out of town. Ahh,
so much for the easy drive up I-70. Well, actually, we still have
a month of decent drives on '70.

I don't know, passes are so cheap there are a lot of people with passes
for both. Or at least a couple of extra four packs for Copper. This
weekend would probably be the time to use them.

Leave it to Vail Assoc to cough up more ways for us to cough up more $$.
I still havn't picked up my Bonus pass at the Basin. At $279, and a
season
of Loveland yet to ski, I am still on the fence. I wouldn't mind
getting
a few cheap days in at Key & Breck. I am not big in paying for parking.
At Key, you the free parking costs in the mile walk to the lift. Well,
maybe
just under a mile ;-) Maybe this is a year I should deny Vail Assoc ANY
of my
$$. Still thinking.

Yeah, I don't know what they are thinking. Fortunately I still know a
couple of stealth parking places but they are getting few and far
between. Folks are really going to be bitching about parking this
year. There are still two free lots close enough to the gondola but
they will fill up early. They have expanded the lot west of the
Tailings lot (just North of Thunder Mountain Lodge) it's the Gold Mine
lot or something like that. It's right across the stree from the
gondola so it's actually better parking than a lot of the pay parking.
It's just a few hundred cars though so it will fill up quick. I'd
expect by 7:45 at the latest on weekends. I'll bet they make this on
pay also next year. The other free lot is the Postal lot. That small
one right by the Post Office Annex by City Market. That one only has a
few spaces so it really doesn't count. Other than that, it's Airport
road and bussing it. It really sucks because it will discourage people
from hanging out in town for apre ski. They do have a deal for locals
for something like $90 and also a discounted pre-paid pass. I
certinaly won't be getting the locals pass so someone out there may be
able to bribe me with a few beers if they want me to get it for them.

Old November 1st 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Snoig:

If I am right, you live quite high up above the south east side of
Breck. Do you drive down to the ice rink/arena and then catch the
shuttle bus from there to Peak 9? I catch the bus at Adams and French
to Peak 9, as it is only a block from my condo, or else I hike over to
Peak 9 base. The reverse shuttle route takes forever to get over to
Peak 8. I think I can get to Peak 9 base, ride to the top, and then ski
over to Peak 8 base faster than taking the shuttle to Peak 8,
especially now that everything going to Peak 8 stops at the
transportation center or whatever they call it.

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann