Trip to the store

Old October 28th 03, 05:38 PM
Sly D. Skeez

Default Trip to the store

In the interest of full disclosure, my connections a

Fischer Skis and Boots
Exel Poles
Joe's Ski Shop

Last night, I went to Joe's to get my new skis checked for fit. Joe's
has built a new store just off Hwy 36 and Rice Street, and it's quite
a bit bigger than the old store. They have probably twice the xc
clothing of their old store and we (Julie and I) ended up getting some
SportHill pants.

When you join a ski team, generally you put in a ski order, someone
picks out the skis, and sends them to you, while the bill comes in the
mail. The question is, can the guy picking out the skis pick them
well?

Both of my RCS skate and classic sets of skis fit perfect. I guess
Fischer has a computerized record of flex for the skis in the
warehouse, so picking skis based on the flex is very straight forward.
Doug marked the classic for an initial wax pocket, and then he then
sent me off to the basement to check out the new Wintersteiger (sp?)
stone grinder as he wrote up a ticket for mounting.

This grinder is impressive, and has a video screen that shows
approximately what pattern the grinds will have on the skis. The
monster comes programmed with grinds from the Austrian skis team (as I
remember), but of course it has the memory for a bunch of other grinds
as well. I talked a bit with Brent (their main man--15 years
experience) and he seemed pretty sharp about tuning, and very excited
about the new toy. Of course no prep room would be complete without a
few posters of female skiers and signatures "To the backroom guys at
Joe's...."

So, let's check the damage: a couple pair of bindings, a couple pair
of pants, and the bill for the couple pair of skis is sitting upstairs
on my desk. Fortunately, I've sold three pair of my old skis and that
will offset some damage.

I think I'm also going to blow out a bunch of Cerax (various flavors),
and I'll probably check the wax box for other waxes to purge: Toko
Diabloc and Solda High flouro Violet and Orange. If you have an
interest, email me jay dot wenner
at state dot mn dot us.

Jay Wenner
Old October 28th 03, 06:09 PM
32 degrees

I'll guess $1600 ?

My big investment this season will be a new "peeter-heater" - anyone
remember the one called "The Hand" - which was really an insulated jock
strap with a picture of a hand on it? Mine is toast and I don't want the
little guy falling off.

Now skiing on 3 year old fishers with old poles. Finally broke down last
winter and got the new (now old) bumblebee boots. 2 kids in daycare cuts
into the ski budget big time.

JK

om...