wee, first ski day of the season!

Old November 17th 03, 05:43 AM
Monique Y. Herman

Default wee, first ski day of the season!

The fiance and I got back from the east coast (and sea level living)
Saturday. Today, Sunday, we headed up to A-Basin.

Quick impressions: traffic into and in the mountains was light. Lift
lines were long -- 20+ minutes for groups, but much faster for singles.
Despite the long lift lines, the slope crowd was bearable. The snow was
much better than I would have expected, with no slush or real ice. We
skied 6ish runs in 3ish hours, then headed home (I was having altitude
issues, and anyway, we had to play hockey in a few hours).

Two blues from a midway lift may not be an explorer's delight, but it
certainly was a friendly re-introduction to skiing. As usual, I have
plenty of room for improvement -- "pole plant, bend the knees, face down
the hill, remember to extend, bend the knees, face down the hill, bend
the knees, face down the hill!!!!"

--
monique

Old November 17th 03, 03:45 PM
MattB

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
[...]

Hey Monique. Funny seeing you here! I tried to post some Wolf Creek pics
here but so far my post has not shown up. Hopefully it will soon. As you may
have seen on the am-b post it was great!

Matt

Old November 17th 03, 04:41 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 at 16:45 GMT, MattB penned:

Hey Monique. Funny seeing you here! I tried to post some Wolf Creek
pics here but so far my post has not shown up. Hopefully it will soon.
As you may have seen on the am-b post it was great!

Matt

Maybe not *too* funny -- our car wasn't the only one heading for the
snow with mountain bike racks still attached to the roof! The sports
complement each other nicely.

(To be honest, I'm paying less and less attention to am-b -- it's too
hard to wade through the noise to find the signal =/ )

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Old November 17th 03, 06:31 PM
Sam Seiber

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
Quick impressions: traffic into and in the mountains was light. Lift
lines were long -- 20+ minutes for groups, but much faster for singles.
Despite the long lift lines, the slope crowd was bearable. The snow was
much better than I would have expected, with no slush or real ice. We
skied 6ish runs in 3ish hours, then headed home (I was having altitude
issues, and anyway, we had to play hockey in a few hours).

20+ minutes huh. Last weekend they were admitting to 60+ minute lines.
Last weekend Loveland had about 15 minute lines. Sunday the lines at
Loveland was 0 to 2 minutes. Did I mention I had a blast on my
new gear yesterday? Man, those new fangled shaped skis (or perhaps
just sharp edges), kick in the pants.

Sam "Ullr, Summit & Clear Creek county on line one for you" Seiber

Old November 17th 03, 06:42 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 at 19:31 GMT, Sam Seiber penned:

20+ minutes huh. Last weekend they were admitting to 60+ minute
lines. Last weekend Loveland had about 15 minute lines. Sunday the
lines at Loveland was 0 to 2 minutes. Did I mention I had a blast on
my new gear yesterday? Man, those new fangled shaped skis (or perhaps
just sharp edges), kick in the pants.

Yes, but I have a season pass that lets me into A-Basin, not Loveland.
It's all about the benjamins =P

I was using new skis, too, but all I really noticed is that I suck at
skiing. Must take lessons.

Maybe we'll try for different season passes next year. Just gotta see.

Old November 17th 03, 06:55 PM
bdubya

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:31:16 CST, Sam Seiber
wrote:

(snipt)

Did I mention I had a blast on my
new gear yesterday? Man, those new fangled shaped skis (or perhaps
just sharp edges), kick in the pants.

Nosir, you did not mention it. Do tell, do tell. Were you still able
to straightline when you wanted to?

bw

Old November 17th 03, 07:04 PM
Sam Seiber

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
Yes, but I have a season pass that lets me into A-Basin, not Loveland.
It's all about the benjamins =P

My report was to let you know how much worse it was a week ago, and to
let the others that havn't been going to Loveland & A-Basin know what
has been going on. I have a pass for both of the above. I am waiting
for Breck/Keystone/Vain/Beaver to take the pressure off the Basin
before I ski there. Well that and a BIG visit from Ullr too.

I was using new skis, too, but all I really noticed is that I suck at
skiing. Must take lessons.

Practice makes perfect. Show up for practice lots. Its fun!

I just hope you had a blast at the Basin. I sure had a blast
at Loveland yesterday.

Sam "Did I mention how much I enjoy my new gear?" Seiber

Old November 17th 03, 07:35 PM
Walt

Sam Seiber wrote:

Did I mention I had a blast on my
new gear yesterday? Man, those new fangled shaped skis (or perhaps
just sharp edges), kick in the pants.

So, how'd the first couple of turns go? Did you wind up overturning and
facing up the hill? Did you do a face-plant on your first turn like I
did? How long did it take to get the mojo back? Enquiring minds want
to know...

--
//-Walt
//

Old November 17th 03, 07:47 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 at 20:31 GMT, klaus penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Yes, but I have a season pass that lets me into A-Basin, not
Loveland. It's all about the benjamins =P

If that were the case, you'd be in the backcountry.

-klaus

It's all about the benjamins *and* the skill.

Besides, it seems like backcountry skiing requires a lot of additional
equipment, so we're right back to cash.

Old November 17th 03, 07:47 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 at 20:04 GMT, Sam Seiber penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:
Yes, but I have a season pass that lets me into A-Basin, not
Loveland. It's all about the benjamins =P

My report was to let you know how much worse it was a week ago, and to
let the others that havn't been going to Loveland & A-Basin know what
has been going on. I have a pass for both of the above. I am waiting
for Breck/Keystone/Vain/Beaver to take the pressure off the Basin
before I ski there. Well that and a BIG visit from Ullr too.

Yup, I heard it was pretty awful two weekends ago.

There were rumors at the basin that keystone had 2 lifts open, but as
per usual, keystone's snow.com site didn't enlighten me. Maybe the info
is there, but I couldn't find it.

I was using new skis, too, but all I really noticed is that I suck at
skiing. Must take lessons.

Practice makes perfect. Show up for practice lots. Its fun!

Yes indeed! That's what finally having season passes is all about --
skiing whenever I want!

I just hope you had a blast at the Basin. I sure had a blast at
Loveland yesterday.

I definitely did. Can't wait for more terrain to open up, though.