Jackson Hole Sucks

Old February 10th 04, 01:32 AM
Jeff Davis

Default Jackson Hole Sucks

In article ,
BobPeters wrote:
We apparently aren't talking about the same No Shadows. The chute
I've always heard referred to as No Shadows is the very pronounced
gully *between* Pucker Face and Four Shadows as you're hiking up the
ridge.
BTW, Turiano's book agrees with me, if that helps at all.

The Weez was taught that the predominately north facing chute west of
central we rode last year about this time is called Four Shadows. I
was standing on top of what Turiano calls No Shadows, and was told the
names the other way around. Mott Gatehouse says No Shadows is north
of Pucker Face.

I'm glad you Utah boys are keeping us Wyoming boys straightened out. I'll
go check Tom's book out for myself. Angus published a front page picture
of Darren Miller hucking the cornice last year and called it No Shadows,
where you state Tom calls it Four Shadows. Then Dan Petrus' avalanche was
reported by Comey and the BTNF Avy Lab as No Shadows, when the majority of
the crown fracture crossed what you say Tom calls Four Shadows. And Miller
produced a clip of Josh Langdon straightlining No Shadows, as Tom calls it,
albeit the graphic stated Langdon was straightlining Four Shadows, (the way
*I* was taught it).

So you can see us Jackson Hole boys are all ****ed up. BTW- have you skied
it, (the predominately north facing chute immediately west of central)? Or
are you just making conversation?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 10th 04, 01:39 AM
Jeff Davis

In article Df%Ub.16544$fD.6017@fed1read02,
Richard Henry wrote:
"Jeff Davis" wrote in message
. ..
Fine dick, have fun. I'm not buying W's justification for invading a
soveriegn nation. I'm voting for the Democratic Candidate this fall.
Anybody but Bush. If you feel otherwise, that's your perogative. I
have to look at myself in the mirror, and refuse to let my country
become another imperialistic government oppressing less powerful nations
by force.

What does this have to do with your previous statement?

You took the short bus to school didn't you. Connect the dots... Bush
Sr. ****es off Osama Bin Laden occupying bases in Saudi Arabia in Gulf I.
Osama blasts the Pentagon and both World Trade Center towers 9 Sepember 2004.
"W" vows to hunt down terrorists and the governments that support them. He
can't find Osama in Afganistan. "W" tells us Sadam is in cahoots with
Osama and has Weapons of Mass Destruction, (WMD is too obscure for you so
I'm keeping this at the LCD level), which turns out to be unmittigated
bull**** on both counts after the fact. 530 American Military Personel.

That's the body count. Stupid is as Stupid does. But you can't help being
a dick, eh?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 10th 04, 06:05 AM
Richard Henry

"Jeff Davis" wrote in message
.. .
In article Df%Ub.16544$fD.6017@fed1read02,
Richard Henry wrote:
"Jeff Davis" wrote in message
. ..
Fine dick, have fun. I'm not buying W's justification for invading a
soveriegn nation. I'm voting for the Democratic Candidate this fall.
Anybody but Bush. If you feel otherwise, that's your perogative. I
have to look at myself in the mirror, and refuse to let my country
become another imperialistic government oppressing less powerful

nations
by force.

What does this have to do with your previous statement?

You took the short bus to school didn't you. Connect the dots... Bush
Sr. ****es off Osama Bin Laden occupying bases in Saudi Arabia in Gulf I.
Osama blasts the Pentagon and both World Trade Center towers 9 Sepember

2004.

Oh, so this is something that happens in the future.

"W" vows to hunt down terrorists and the governments that support them.

He
can't find Osama in Afganistan. "W" tells us Sadam is in cahoots with
Osama and has Weapons of Mass Destruction, (WMD is too obscure for you so
I'm keeping this at the LCD level), which turns out to be unmittigated
bull**** on both counts after the fact. 530 American Military Personel.

That's the body count. Stupid is as Stupid does. But you can't help

being
a dick, eh?

I have no idea what that means, but I think it is more stupid than your
original "everybody chose where to die on 11 September 2001" (which you may
note is a date in the past).

Old February 10th 04, 12:19 PM
pigo

"Richard Henry" wrote in message

I have no idea what that means, but I think it is more stupid than your
original "everybody chose where to die on 11 September 2001" (which you

may
note is a date in the past).

If he could vote, I think Osama would also vote for the democratic
candidate.

Old February 10th 04, 12:42 PM
MoonMan

pigo wrote:
"Richard Henry" wrote in message

I have no idea what that means, but I think it is more stupid than
your original "everybody chose where to die on 11 September 2001"
(which you may note is a date in the past).

If he could vote, I think Osama would also vote for the democratic
candidate.

I wouldn't have thought so, isn't he an ultra conservative?

Chris *

Old February 10th 04, 10:31 PM
pigo

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
pigo wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

I have no idea what that means, but I think it is more stupid than

your
original "everybody chose where to die on 11 September 2001" (which

you
may note is a date in the past).

If he could vote, I think Osama would also vote for the democratic
candidate.

Why? The current Republicans haven't caught him and don't seem to have
slowed Al Queda down. He wouldn't want to screw up his good thing. I'd
rather hide from a party-boy weekend-warrior-wannabe than a decorated
war veteran.

Overlooking the fact that your reply made no sense at all in response to
RH's post...it would seem that you and Jeff have some things in common.

Nice try. But I suppose that anyone that cares will remember that whoozits
from jh made some comments about voting and so on and it was kind of in
connection to that. But good snipping (as usual) in an attempt to slant to
your pov.

Jeff and I do have something in common. I think he mentioned he was about
50. I don't know him enough to degrade him in a comparison to you though. Do
you have a bent melon head?

Old February 11th 04, 12:54 AM
BobPeters

(Jeff Davis) wrote in message ...

The Weez was taught that the predominately north facing chute west of
central we rode last year about this time is called Four Shadows. I
was standing on top of what Turiano calls No Shadows, and was told the
names the other way around. Mott Gatehouse says No Shadows is north
of Pucker Face.

I don't know who the Weez or Mr. (Ms.?) Gatehouse are. I just know
that if you go ask any of the JHMR Alpine Guides or members of the Ski
Patrol, I'm supremely confident they'll support my version.

I'm glad you Utah boys are keeping us Wyoming boys straightened out.

You've got it all wrong. I live right here in JH myself. I've had a
season pass at JHMR since 1974.

I'll
go check Tom's book out for myself.

Page 129.

"Pucker Face: {F} North of No Shadows, a large east face approaching
50 degrees leads into Rock Springs Canyon.

No Shadows: {F} This gully is northwest of Four Shadows.

Four Shadows: {F} This is the large gully system west of Cody's
north-face cliffs. The cornices at the top are the crux."

Angus published a front page picture
of Darren Miller hucking the cornice last year and called it No Shadows,
where you state Tom calls it Four Shadows. Then Dan Petrus' avalanche was
reported by Comey and the BTNF Avy Lab as No Shadows, when the majority of
the crown fracture crossed what you say Tom calls Four Shadows. And Miller
produced a clip of Josh Langdon straightlining No Shadows, as Tom calls it,
albeit the graphic stated Langdon was straightlining Four Shadows, (the way
*I* was taught it).

Whatever. I think I'm confused at all that.

So you can see us Jackson Hole boys are all f****d up.

Never said that. Never even implied it.

BTW- have you skied
it, (the predominately north facing chute immediately west of central)? Or
are you just making conversation?

Just for the sake of credentials, I was one of the Alpine Guides with
JHMR from 1979 to 1987. I've skied Once is Enough, Twice is Nice,
Four Shadows, No Shadows, Pucker Face, and pretty much all of Cody
Bowl with the exception of Central (I was always too chicken). I
would hazard a guess that I've taken more clients down Four Shadows
(whichever way you want to define it) than you've made trips down it.
Have you skied St. Patrick's Day Couloir? Les Gibson, Ned Brown, and
I are the ones who named it.

The only reason I even started this dialog is that you've made quite a
few pronouncements about snow safety at JH. When you said you were
thinking about skiing forth-facing No Shadows, however, my alarm bells
started going off.

People from outside this area who read your snow safety judgements and
run selections *might* make decisions of their own based on those
statements. If you imply that Xyz run is somehow skiable, a visitor
to JH might choose to ski it based on your comments. If what they
think is Xyz turns out to be Abc, somebody might get hurt.

It appears to me that you're a very good skier and you're developing
an excellent knowledge of snow and the JH backcountry. Props for
that. Stay safe and have fun,

Bob

BTW - if it turns out that I'm wrong, I'll happily apologize in
capital letters.
Old February 11th 04, 02:23 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
BobPeters wrote:

People from outside this area who read your snow safety judgements and
run selections *might* make decisions of their own based on those
statements. If you imply that Xyz run is somehow skiable, a visitor
to JH might choose to ski it based on your comments. If what they
think is Xyz turns out to be Abc, somebody might get hurt.

My snow safety judgements are for me. Its my ass and I'm responsible
for it. The best place to find out about JH snow is jhsnowobs.org,
for more detail, after checking the BTNF Avalanche Hazard, eh?

It appears to me that you're a very good skier and you're developing
an excellent knowledge of snow and the JH backcountry. Props for
that. Stay safe and have fun,

Thanks for that. Actually I'm just an old fat cripple who gets around
pretty good.

BTW - if it turns out that I'm wrong, I'll happily apologize in
capital letters.

No. Turiano is pretty definitive isn't he. BTW- Do you know Brian Nystrom?
He was grooming there then.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 11th 04, 02:26 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
pigo wrote:

Jeff and I do have something in common. I think he mentioned he was about
50. I don't know him enough to degrade him in a comparison to you though. Do
you have a bent melon head?

Let it go. He can't ski powder
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 11th 04, 03:10 AM
AstroPax

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:23:19 -0700, Bob Lee wrote:

you're full of ****.

....and so are you.

-Astro

Suggestions for accomodation in Jackson Hole Janet North American Ski Resorts 3 February 22nd 04 05:11 PM
Jackson Hole Switters Snowboarding 3 December 2nd 03 11:46 AM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider North American Ski Resorts 1 November 19th 03 11:27 PM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider Alpine Skiing 0 November 17th 03 04:30 PM
Jackson Hole Helen Montfort North American Ski Resorts 3 October 28th 03 03:12 PM