To pole or not to pole

Old January 18th 05, 03:57 AM
David Harris

AstroPax wrote in
:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:57:09 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

You could accomplish the same thing by
carrying a small, similarly-shaped piece of plastic, not an entire
pole.

I agree.

Anyway, other than what I have posted previously, I see ski poles more
as "feelers", or something like the antennae on an insect, or the
whiskers on a cat or dog.

They provide the skier with feedback on body position and motion
relative to the snow surface.

-Astro

Funnily enough, I've ended up agreeing with Yunlong, but I doubt he
meant it the way I'm taking it.

A couple of posts back he said "Not really, the pole-planting is to
create an instability so the skier can initiate the edge changing..."

My take on this is that pole-planting is a NECESSARY action which
results in a forced edge-changing. Not a bad way to get your next turn
started, in my experience.

I have no idea what Mr. Yunlong is really talking about. I've looked at
the video he provided, and maybe I downloaded the wrong one. All I see
is an advanced intermediate doing slow spins on a groomed slope. I
could do that in 1968, and didn't think it was worth remarking on.

FWIW, I will always ski with poles. In addition to being very useful
triggers for a turn, they can be used on the flats, getting out of a
fall in powder, and signalling to distant friends for additional
beverages or whatever.

dh
Old January 18th 05, 04:34 AM
lal_truckee

David Harris wrote:
[poles] can be used on the flats, getting out of a
fall in powder, and signalling to distant friends for additional
beverages or whatever.

A complete understanding of the tool at hand, and it's highest purposes...
Old January 18th 05, 09:53 AM
MoonMan

Mary Malmros wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

David Harris wrote:

"yunlong" wrote in
oups.com:

Also, if poles don't help balance, why do
downhill racers carry them?

Security crutches, maybe.

Okay, following along this increasingly silly thread, this line
jumped out at me.

First, I wouldn't restrict the question to downhillers, but include
ALL alpine racers. Every one of them. For ever.

Two main reasons,

1) to get out of the start gate.
2) (in slalom) to protect oneselfe from the slalom poles.

Nonsense to both. The start gate could easily be constructed to
perform the function that the poles are used from in the start, and
the "protection" from the slalom gates is performed (in part) by the
guard on the top of the poles. You could accomplish the same thing by
carrying a small, similarly-shaped piece of plastic, not an entire
pole.

You're right in both cases, SnowBoard start gates have Hand rails and as
they're fixed you get more leverage and Well padded/protective gloves and
sleeves would remove the need,

But as Walt said FIS regulations require us to carry at least one pole

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 18th 05, 12:40 PM
VtSkier

David Harris wrote:
AstroPax wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

beating the crap out of snowboarders who run into you...
Old January 18th 05, 03:19 PM
Walt

David Harris wrote:

I have no idea what Mr. Yunlong is really talking about.

Well, have you tried offering him a bunny with a pancake on it's head?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc15.jpg

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 18th 05, 03:41 PM
bdubya

On 15 Jan 2005 10:11:34 -0800, "yunlong"

pole or not to pole, is now the question.

I doubt this is actually a "question"; I'm pretty sure your mind is
already made up on the subject, and that you're planning to take them
down a path to "flat-boarding". Hey, it's better than not skiing at
all, and it won't be the end of the world for them, since
"flat-boarding" can be un-learned.

bw
Old January 18th 05, 03:56 PM
bdubya

On 16 Jan 2005 19:51:07 -0800, "yunlong"
wrote:

If you could skate in powder or crud, or on a slope over 40
degrees, then what you wrote might not be viewed as bull****.

I did, as flat-boarding.

Did you look like this?

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/upperdynamic.wmv

Embarrassing.

bw
Old January 18th 05, 04:04 PM
LePheaux

wrote:

If you could skate in powder or crud, or on a slope over 40
degrees, then what you wrote might not be viewed as bull****.

I did, as flat-boarding.

Did you look like this?

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/upperdynamic.wmv

Embarrassing.

Agreed.
this one video clip is enough reason for dumbyoung to shut his pie hole.
The beginners I've taught ski better then that with or without poles.
and this is supposed to be from an advanced ski instructor .
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Old January 18th 05, 04:18 PM
VtSkier

wrote:

If you could skate in powder or crud, or on a slope over 40
degrees, then what you wrote might not be viewed as bull****.

I did, as flat-boarding.

Did you look like this?

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/upperdynamic.wmv

Embarrassing.

bw

Lessee, most every turn is a stem christie, that is,
bend knees to anticipate the turn, up-unweight,
up-stem on the unweight, skid the turn,
bring the inside (relative to the turn) ski parallel
with the outside (relative to the turn) ski.

Some of the turns are just foot swivels.

lots of sideslipping to get out of "bad" spots.
(I guess that's flatboarding)

Stop for almost every bump.

You're right it is embarrassing.

LePheaux said it best...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

VtSkier
Old January 18th 05, 04:20 PM
Walt

bdubya wrote:

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/upperdynamic.wmv

Wow. What a disappointment. You've got novice skier on a hill that's
obviously way too much for him. He's barely in control and on the verge
of a huge wipeout. But it never happens. Against all odds, he stays
upright. Bummer.

BTW, how was bahemya?

--
//-Walt
//

pole length steve Nordic Skiing 6 December 22nd 04 05:21 AM
Pole Planting. Mark A Framness Alpine Skiing 4 March 26th 04 05:50 PM
Palm side exit point for pole length measure -JP- Nordic Skiing 1 March 22nd 04 04:02 AM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 04:11 AM
Infinity Pole Report - Didn't Snap It Dell Todd Nordic Skiing 0 January 5th 04 03:46 PM