Solitude - good deal when backcountry skiing?

Old October 30th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
Sandi M.

Default Solitude - good deal when backcountry skiing?

See my other post.

So what do you think are the main dangers for the Wasatch (to be that
specific)? I took classes, but what are the main differences between the
Alps and here in your opinion?

Sandi

lal_truckee wrote:
Sandi M. wrote:
Me and some friends are going to SLC around 20. December for 2-3 weeks
for skiing/snowboarding.

As we wanna do some off-piste/backcountry skiing (is there a
difference btw? Is offpiste patrolled and backcountry not?

You possibly need to do some more research if this is a serious
question. Or, putting it another way, it really sounds like what you are
looking for is in bounds un-groomed skiing which is NOT backcountry in
spite of how some idiot resorts are flogging it. If that's what you're
after, just about any western mountain and probably most bigger eastern
mountains offer un-groomed on the off-piste (piste=trail loosely, so
off-piste=off the groomed trail.) Just go looking for it.

If you are really intent on real backcountry a few resorts offer lifts
that let you access backcountry, although the purist would say one
should hike up anyway. Solitude is one such. BUT if you are doing real
backcountry you need at the least beacon, shovel, probe, pack with
emergency gear, first aid kit, some food, water, AND an avalanche class
with on-slope practice and beacon practice, AND preferably an several
experienced skiers in your party.

FYI several outfits offer classes in the whole show often over a long
weekend culminating in a back country trip with overnight. Look into
those to gain basic experience and then head on out - welcome to freedom.

Hint: Honeycomb Canyon is NOT backcountry - there's a dam lift, even.

Old October 30th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
Walt

Sandi M. wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:
Sandi M. wrote:

As we wanna do some off-piste/backcountry skiing (is there a
difference btw? Is offpiste patrolled and backcountry not? Sorry,
might be different in Europe)

Not only no formal prepared runs in the backcountry, but no lifts either...

But in Solitude there seems to be one at least :-)

No. Honeycomb Canyon is not backcountry. It's inbounds lift-served
off-piste. It's patrolled and avalanche controlled, but no pistes or
grooming. (Actually, I think they run a groomer up the runout on occasion)

Sounds to me that "off-piste" is what you are looking for, not
necessarily "backcountry". There's a lot of that at the resorts around
SLC.

As I understand it, "off-piste" has different implications in Europe vs.
the US. I won't speak for Europe, but the US/Canada has the following:

In-bounds - this is the general area available for skiing. It's
patrolled and avi controlled. Some of it may be prepared piste with
marked trails, other parts may be completely wild including cliffs,
trees, rocks and other natural hazards. Nobody will yell at you or pull
your ticket for skiing the off-piste areas. If you get injured
off-piste, the patrol will come and get you (eventually).

In-bounds (closed) - A ski area may close off some of their area for
whatever reason (lack of snow, unsafe condidions, etc.) Often there
will be some areas that are permanently closed. Skiing an area that is
closed is illegal.

Out-of-Bounds - A ski area will have a boundary, usually marked. If you
leave the ski area, you are on your own - no avi control, no rescue,
etc. It is usually illegal to cross the boundary except at certain
spots; there are specific gates that you must go through to leave the
ski area legally. Sometimes these gates are closed. Lift served out of
bounds exists at some resorts.

Backcountry - No lifts, no patrol, no avi control, no nothing. You're
on your own. Maybe a helicopter to get you there and back if you're rich.

//Walt
Old October 30th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
Walt

Sandi M. wrote:
Walt wrote:

Sandi M. wrote:

Try this place: http://www.utahvacationhomes.com/default.aspx

We rented one of their units last December - quite affordable,
convienently located.

looks nice, but as everywhere they're rising the prices during the
holidays.

Yeah, Xmas week + skiing == high prices for accomodations.

Think we stay in SLC downtown.

Well, there's definitely better food to be had in SLC proper.

Haven't checked it out, but
there's supposed to be a good bus system to the resorts as well, right? If
not- we got a car

I'd plan on using the car. There is a bus that goes up the LCC & BCC
canyons, which is handy for when the road is closed to non-4WD vehicles,
but other than that I would plan on renting a car and driving. You
don't want to spend 3 hours on the bus everyday.

The "easy" was related to Brighton only. Yeah, I heard that it's kind of
crowded on weekend. We'll avoid going there on weekends!

It's the only SLC resort where kids ski free. Throngs of Mormon
families show up by the busload on Saturday. Sunday, they're in church,
so that day's not too bad. Especially if you're planning on spending
the day off the beaten path. HINT: check out the Sol-bright trail.
Old October 30th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
klaus

In rec.skiing.backcountry Sandi M. wrote:
See my other post.

So what do you think are the main dangers for the Wasatch (to be that
specific)? I took classes, but what are the main differences between the
Alps and here in your opinion?

Warning: Extreme generalizations.

Most prominent Wasatch Hazards:
1) Wind loading on east aspects.
2) Sometimes heavy snowfall.
3) Buried surface hoar.
4) Very terrain and history dependent hazard due to skier
compaction/previous slides.
5) Explosives from helicopters.

Mitigating factors:
1) Predictable hazard (for the most part). Read this daily:
http://www.avalanche.org/%7Euac/newa...y/advisory.php
2) Safe terrain can usually be found.
3) Some "frontcountry" offers quick and experienced body recovery
from the adjacent resorts.
4) Many backcountry skiers which sometimes can be helpful,
especially if you buy them beer at the bar and ask
knowledgable questions.
5) Usual storm pattern involves heavy warm snow turning to light
snow as the storm progresses. leading to right side up new snow.
South wind at start, NW as it continues.

Again, these are gross generalizations and are often wrong.

As for the Solitude angle to out of bounds, go with 10 packs of single rides if you are planning on mainly OOB.

And one more thing, judging from your posting handle and location, you
may qualify for a free local tour guide that speaks german. ;
Disclaimer: I am not a ski guide and all risks will be your own.

-klaus

Old October 30th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
lal_truckee

Sandi M. wrote:
See my other post.

So what do you think are the main dangers for the Wasatch (to be that
specific)? I took classes, but what are the main differences between the
Alps and here in your opinion?

More, lighter, deeper snow creating monster fresh snow sluffs and slabs;
but also leading to weak layers and late slab avalanches releasing long
after a storm, so familiarity with the terrain, weather, slope history,
and snow pack evolution and conditions becomes much more important. The
area has an active Avalanche watch and reporting mechanism you should
hook into (internet based.) You also need to know how to read a snow
pit, and should be digging pits for any questionable slope, but if
you're experienced you know about such.

As self-described experienced alpine ski mountaineers with full
backcountry equipment maybe all you need is a local guide, either ad hoc
of hired. Or you might try one of the organized trips doing high routes
from Alta to Park City - going backcountry but using some lifts - as an
introduction to the conditions and area.

If you're interesting in and ready for the serious stuff try to find a
copy of Andrew McLean's "The Chuting Gallery" guide to the couloirs off
the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons.
Old October 30th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
Two Buddha

Solitude is perhaps the best backcountry access of any lift served area in
Utah. Wonderful and marvelous. Make sure to lay tracks below any telemark
skiers, they are all assholes.

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam Alarm
from Dignity Software http://www.dignitysoftware.com
"Sandi M." wrote in message
Me and some friends are going to SLC around 20. December for 2-3 weeks for
skiing/snowboarding.

As we wanna do some off-piste/backcountry skiing (is there a difference
btw? Is offpiste patrolled and backcountry not? Sorry, might be different
in Europe) and on a shoestring as well, we we're thinking about getting
the Deal at Solitude: 6 days for $36/each

So do you think it's worth it? I mean will we get an easy access to the
lifts when we ski down? Honeycomb? Or is it better to get single ride
tickets (I know they got those at Brighton)?
What about the other resorts around (even in the north like Powder
Mountain)? Does somebody have a better suggestion than Solitude?

Thanks, Sandi

Old October 30th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
snoig

Sandi M. wrote:
The "off-piste/backcountry skiing" was more a language question. I'm no
native english speaker, so I was just wondering.

We all have the right equipment (and we know how to use them) and we've
done regular trips in the Alps, both backcountry and for convenience
off-piste in some resorts.
But I know that meteorological conditions are very different in the Alps
and the Wasatch. Even if being an expert for the Alps (I don't wanna claim
being that, but at least I have some experiences), it doesn't mean you're
one for the Wasatch (probably similar for Canadian Rockies and Wasatch for
example).
But as you seem to know what you're talking about: How is it with avalanche
formation especially there? I guess, as the snow is less dense and more
powdery, that you won't find the typical layering (with more slippery
layers in between) as in the Alps as sublimation, due to less humidity,
prevails. And the temperatures are higher as well. But just my guess. What
are your experiences concerning the main dangers (compared to other locations)?

Thanks for the critics, you're absolutely right!
Sandi

Well, since I live in Colorado, I can only mention generalizations
about Wasatch backcountry and Klaus seem to have covered that pretty
well. What I will say about Colorado and it probably holds true for
Utah right now is that it looks like we have a pretty bad start this
season when it comes to backcountry skiing. Here we have had two major
storms dropping about a half meter of heavy wet snow in each storm.
For the last few days it has been warm and sunny and the snow is
getting pretty crunchy. Not something you want for a base layer.
Around here, those kind of conditions can ruin things until March or
so. Since you will be in Utah around 20 Dec. that's usually a bit
early for backcountry skiing but you could get lucky.

As others have said, ask around in some of the local bars at the ski
areas. Around here most of the bartenders are pretty hardcore or they
know someone who is. When you work at night, you tend to get out a lot
during the day. Try to find someone who has been out and can tell you
the current conditions or better yet go out with you.

snoig

Old October 30th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
Yabahoobs

Two Buddha wrote:
Solitude is perhaps the best backcountry access of any lift served area in
Utah. Wonderful and marvelous. Make sure to lay tracks below any telemark
skiers, they are all assholes.

Naaa, most I encounter are very laid back. Scott you just have a way of
bringing out the worst in people. Probably cuz you're even more
annoying in person then you are on here.
The people you wanna "lay tracks below" are the idiot boarders.

Old October 30th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
klaus

In rec.skiing.backcountry Yabahoobs wrote:

Two Buddha wrote:
Solitude is perhaps the best backcountry access of any lift served area in
Utah. Wonderful and marvelous. Make sure to lay tracks below any telemark
skiers, they are all assholes.

Naaa, most I encounter are very laid back. Scott you just have a way of
bringing out the worst in people. Probably cuz you're even more
annoying in person then you are on here.
The people you wanna "lay tracks below" are the idiot boarders.

Naw. Avy Poodles are good. "no... you go first.." I am always more
than happy to go second. Second line is better than the first.

"Powder, very dangerous." - EM (To avoid his grepping bot).

-klaus

Old October 30th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
Alan Baker

In article .com,
"Yabahoobs" wrote:

Two Buddha wrote:
Solitude is perhaps the best backcountry access of any lift served area in
Utah. Wonderful and marvelous. Make sure to lay tracks below any telemark
skiers, they are all assholes.

Naaa, most I encounter are very laid back. Scott you just have a way of
bringing out the worst in people. Probably cuz you're even more
annoying in person then you are on here.
The people you wanna "lay tracks below" are the idiot boarders.

There's a saying that I find very helpful:

Any day you think you've met three or more assholes, just look in the
mirror and you'll see the only one that was involved...

--
'It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix.'
"It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix'

'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)