Skiing in Europe- Austria.

Old January 13th 06, 07:14 PM

Default Skiing in Europe- Austria.

I was curious to see if you folks had any recommendations about what
mountains to go to in Austria. I will be flying into Vienna, Austria for
business and am looking to go boarding the weekend before my week starts.

I will be in Austria at the end of February. I am an intermediate
snowboarder
(intermediate meaning all blues and most blacks?).

What is the closest resort that allows snowboarding?
Any tips on how to get to the mountain if I fly into Vienna? I will not have
a car.
Should I fly into another city first before going to Vienna?

Your thoughts appreciated. Just looking for personal opinions.... Thanks in
advance.

Old January 13th 06, 07:21 PM

Howlee wrote:

I was curious to see if you folks had any recommendations about what
mountains to go to in Austria. I will be flying into Vienna, Austria for
business and am looking to go boarding the weekend before my week starts.

You'll probably get better answers at rec.skiing.resorts.europe. Not
that you're unwelcome to ask here, it's just that you'll probably get
better answers there. Never skied Europe myself. AFAIK, all the
European resorts allow snowboards.

//Walt
Old January 13th 06, 07:35 PM

As Walt says, you will get better answers in rec.skiing.resorts.europe..

Unfortunately, Vienna is not really a great destination for skiing and the
Alps are a fair way away. You could catch a train to Salzburg which would
take you about 3 hours and then there are a number of options from there
like Zell am See, Saalbach, Kaprun etc.. too many to mention.. but they
would all be another hour away from Salzburg.

Anyway, the other group would be better.. try asking there

Old January 13th 06, 08:55 PM

Hi!
If you're in Vienna the closest resort may be the "Hirschenkogel,
Semmering". Take a look at it at
http://www.noe.co.at/partner/hirschenkogel_e/default.asp. You really
don't need high skills for snowboarding there, most pistes are blue IIRC
and there's one black one. I know there are mostly skiers from vienna
out there on weekends and it is reachable by train and bus, you will
find the appropriate information on the website above.

Hope that helps a little, Benedikt.

--
-bash: ./signatu No such file or directory
Old January 14th 06, 10:35 PM

Howlee wrote:
I was curious to see if you folks had any recommendations about what
mountains to go to in Austria.

"A Movable Feast." Go old school.
Old January 15th 06, 08:01 PM

Change your plans. See if you can fly into Innsbruck and out of Vienna.

Igls, a decent intermediate resort, is 15 - 30 mins from Innsbruck max.

Salzburg is another option. Kitzbuehel is 60 - 90 mins away.

Good luck.