Nitro Magnum sensitive to bumps in base below thread inserts?

Old April 1st 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen

Default Nitro Magnum sensitive to bumps in base below thread inserts?

Hi,

As this is my first post in this newsgroup, I think it is a good idea to
introduce myself. As you might guess, I'm from The Netherlands, 32 (almost
33) years old and 1.93m/85kg (relevant for snowboarding). I snowboard for
4 years, partly indoor (www.snowworld.com and then Landgraaf, 500m indoor)
and in the real snow in Austria. Shortly, I took some lessons in skiing.
That goes quite well, but I'm not switching to skiing :-)

Last year, I bought a new Nitro Magnum 1.65m. Great board to ride with,
but some problems though.

One problem is that the base developed bumps just below the thread
inserts of the bindings. I did not over tighten the screws, but still I
got bumps that were a few mm deep. It even happened after a few hours
indoor when I changed the stance. I could clearly see spots where the
base is recessed just below the mounting points of the bindings.

So I went back to the shop. I have a good relation with the shop owner
and he informed at Nitro. After a few weeks, the answer came that they
did not accept responsibility for this problem.

I read through the archives of this group and read that some guys here
prefer Burton. I must say that my previous board (Burton Cruzer 164) had
no problems whatever. Also, the steel edges seemed to stay sharp longer
than with the Nitro. Is it general quality difference?

Bas.

Old April 2nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

On Apr 1, 4:11 pm, Bas Mevissen
wrote:
[...]

No, a Nitro board should be as good quality as a Burton board in
general - although both the Magnum and the Cruzer are both medium-
lower end range boards. Do you have dimples under all 8 inserts, or
only the 4 that have bolts in them? Either way, the dimples will not
effect your ride very much. As for the edges, the edge material is the
industry standard 48 Rockwell steel, so I don't think there is a
difference there either (I could be wrong) perhaps each came with a
different base/side bevels (which do affect how long the edges say
sharp).

Old April 2nd 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:09:19 -0700, lonerider wrote:

No, a Nitro board should be as good quality as a Burton board in general
- although both the Magnum and the Cruzer are both medium- lower end
range boards.

Do you have dimples under all 8 inserts, or only the 4
that have bolts in them?

Only the ones where bolts are in. Now it are 8 spots in total because I
moved the position of both bindings...

Either way, the dimples will not effect your ride very much.

But still, it's not normal...

As for the edges, the edge material is the industry
standard 48 Rockwell steel, so I don't think there is a difference there
either (I could be wrong) perhaps each came with a different base/side
bevels (which do affect how long the edges say sharp).

Normal 90 degrees now (and the first months too). I tried 89 degrees
once, but then I could not get the board to turn without using too much
force for my feeling. I still do not understand why the impact on the
riding was that huge.

Bas.
Old April 3rd 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

On Apr 2, 4:33 pm, Bas Mevissen
wrote:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:09:19 -0700, lonerider wrote:
No, a Nitro board should be as good quality as a Burton board in general
- although both the Magnum and the Cruzer are both medium- lower end
range boards.
Do you have dimples under all 8 inserts, or only the 4
that have bolts in them?

Only the ones where bolts are in. Now it are 8 spots in total because I
moved the position of both bindings...

Either way, the dimples will not effect your ride very much.

But still, it's not normal...

If it's a more than 1mm deep (I interpret your use of "few mm" to be
2-3), yes that is not normal. However, it is not uncommon to have a 4
minor dimples where the binding is. For the dimples to remain there
after you move the binding off the inserts, my initial impression that
you overtightened the bolts despite your assertion that you did not,
the only other possible explanation would be that the materials used
in the core were some how defective - and if that were to happen I
would suspect it would occur to a large number of boards (i.e. a bad
batch phenomenon). Another thing that happens is boards bases can be
slightly concave or convex... there are natural fluctuations in the
manufacturing and while not "defective" (and exchangable) they are
also not "ideal".

As for the edges, the edge material is the industry
standard 48 Rockwell steel, so I don't think there is a difference there
either (I could be wrong) perhaps each came with a different base/side
bevels (which do affect how long the edges say sharp).

Normal 90 degrees now (and the first months too). I tried 89 degrees
once, but then I could not get the board to turn without using too much
force for my feeling. I still do not understand why the impact on the
riding was that huge.

89 (I'm assuming that means you side bevel is 1* larger than your base
bevel) degree will dull quicker than 90 degrees. Are you still
skidding you board when you turn? (if not your trail would be a thin
line behind you). If you are skidding your turns a board with a 89
degree edge will "bite" into the snow a lot more and "resist" you more
I think.

Good luck!

Old April 3rd 07, 08:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:15:09 -0700, lonerider wrote:

If it's a more than 1mm deep (I interpret your use of "few mm" to be
2-3), yes that is not normal. However, it is not uncommon to have a 4
minor dimples where the binding is. For the dimples to remain there
after you move the binding off the inserts, my initial impression that
you overtightened the bolts despite your assertion that you did not, the
only other possible explanation would be that the materials used in the
core were some how defective - and if that were to happen I would
suspect it would occur to a large number of boards (i.e. a bad batch
phenomenon). Another thing that happens is boards bases can be slightly
concave or convex... there are natural fluctuations in the manufacturing
and while not "defective" (and exchangeable) they are also not "ideal".

Even the shop owner said it was too deep. The new dimples even appeared
shortly after changing stance. I did not overtighten for sure.

But it is no big deal. The board goes fine, altough it suffered from a
nuthead in Austria that sharpened the edges without proper cooling. But
that's a different story :-)

Thanks for the explanation!

Bas.
Old April 3rd 07, 08:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:15:09 -0700, lonerider wrote:

89 (I'm assuming that means you side bevel is 1* larger than your base
bevel) degree will dull quicker than 90 degrees.

Yes, it a sharper edge, so it is more sensitive to wear. But even with 90
degrees it dulled quicker than with the Burton. After some mistreatment
by someone who overheated the steel during sharpening, it will dull even
quicker now. So I can only go to powder snow from now on :-)

Are you still skidding
you board when you turn? (if not your trail would be a thin line behind
you). If you are skidding your turns a board with a 89 degree edge will
"bite" into the snow a lot more and "resist" you more I think.

Yes, indoor you need to skid around people sitting on the most
unpractical places :-)

I learned a good technique, so I'm no longer used to using force to turn.
(Except for when I "aggressively" change sides during carving.)

In summary, I was just surprised that 1 degree change could make so much
difference. Maybe I buy an old board later and try to see if I can get
used to it and can improve my carving that way. We will see.

Bas.

Loctite OK on K2 inserts? scott Backcountry Skiing 3 January 30th 07 05:30 PM
Rottafella BC and BC Magnum? Toller Nordic Skiing 1 December 1st 05 06:55 PM
wanted nitro magnum wide 165 or 168 / ride fleetwood 165 / morrow souce siphon 166 ? Mario Snowboarding 0 January 15th 05 05:23 PM
Inserts and screws. bp Snowboarding 8 November 12th 04 03:49 AM
Orthoics / SIDA inserts in XC Boots Matt Morency Nordic Skiing 3 August 24th 03 01:47 AM