Experience with Start Grip Tape

Old January 7th 04, 04:00 PM
Gerald Fingerlos

Default Experience with Start Grip Tape

Has anyone used the Start Grip Tape?
I bought a now ski, my first wax-ski, and I used the Start Grip Tape. But
I was very disappointed today, the snow was at its melting point, and the
tape didnĀ“t give me any grip.
Maybe someone already has some experiences.

Thanks,
Gerald
Old January 7th 04, 06:28 PM
JMC

"Gerald Fingerlos" wrote in message
news
Has anyone used the Start Grip Tape?
I bought a now ski, my first wax-ski, and I used the Start Grip Tape. But
I was very disappointed today, the snow was at its melting point, and the
tape didn“t give me any grip.
Maybe someone already has some experiences.

As far as I know, lack of grip may be caused by either a wax that is too
cold (hard) for the conditions, a skier that is too light for the skis he is
using (can't get the pocket to touch the snow), improper weight transfer
(technique) or a mix of any of these. Could be that switching from waxless
to wax skis will require you to make some adjustments to the way you skis.
Did you think of trying your new skis with regular hard wax to compare?

Regarding the grip tape, I and a few members from my club have used it
lately. In temperatures ranging from klister to hard wax conditions(+3°C
to -10°C), we all agree that the stuff works. Maybe not as well as a good
hard wax but quite sufficient for an average skier, i.e. a guy like me. It
would be my choice "wax", because it will perform equally well, in changing
conditions such as a sunny day where you go from flat cold snow shaded areas
to warm snow uphills facing the sun. However:
.. It may not last 250km. We all got at least 100 km from it; coarse snow,
debris on trails and, especially, snowplowing down a few steep slopes wore
it down.
.. You need a deep wax pocket. The stuff is a bit thick and will drag when
gliding if your pocket is not deep enough.

JMC

Noram Cup Sprints tomorrow Jan 8 at Orford,Qc
http://www.skidefondorford.qc.ca/2004/courses.html ; freestyle on Saturday,
Canada Cup and Orford Loppet on Sunday.