Actually on topic Le Massif

Old September 25th 14, 07:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Goober Jones

Default Actually on topic Le Massif

Has anyone skied there? It has really piqued my interest and I'd like to hear about
Any experiences up there.

I've been a little perplexed about all these skis being marketed with
The humongous widths. That's all you see in the magazines now but for
East coast conditions, they're just silly. I've got a pair of Rossi Classic 80s and
they are great even in 18 inches of new snow on hard pack. I'm replacing them
with a new pair of SkiLogik Front Burners in 178 cm. I have tried rockered skis but
I still prefer traditional camber. I guess I really am old fashioned.
Old September 25th 14, 08:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 9/25/14 12:26 PM, Goober Jones wrote:
I guess I really am old fashioned.

We're not old fashioned.
The other guys are new fangled.

IMO
90% of changes are pointless change for the sake of change AKA sales
incentives.
8% of change is accidental, proof they don't know what they're doing
down at the design floor and/or factory.
2% is valid, useful improvement.

Problem is neither they nor we know which 2% that is.
Old September 25th 14, 09:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:30:47 PM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 9/25/14 12:26 PM, Goober Jones wrote:

I guess I really am old fashioned.

We're not old fashioned.

The other guys are new fangled.

IMO

90% of changes are pointless change for the sake of change AKA sales

incentives.

8% of change is accidental, proof they don't know what they're doing

down at the design floor and/or factory.

2% is valid, useful improvement.

Problem is neither they nor we know which 2% that is.

When I am in thrift shops, I always look for old skis in good condition.
Old September 25th 14, 10:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Goober Jones

I had a pair of Dynastar GS skis 20 years ago in a 205 length. I still
Remember the turns in 2 ft of powder in Hunzinker Bowl.
Really sweet.
Old September 25th 14, 10:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/25/2014 02:30 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

When I am in thrift shops, I always look for old skis in good condition.

I've never seen acceptable skis at a thrift store. The prices at Play
It Again are OK, but they haven't had boots I could use for years and
I'm happy with my newish skis with new bindings. So far all my stuff
has come from yard sales, although I did buy new longjohns at Big Five.

--
Cheers, Bev
Children, your performance was miserable. Your parents will all
Old September 25th 14, 10:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:03:56 PM UTC-6, Goober Jones wrote:
I had a pair of Dynastar GS skis 20 years ago in a 205 length. I still

Remember the turns in 2 ft of powder in Hunzinker Bowl.

Really sweet.

My slalom skis were 205. GS were 207. I still have both.
Old September 25th 14, 11:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/25/2014 02:30 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

When I am in thrift shops, I always look for old skis in good
condition.

I've never seen acceptable skis at a thrift store. The prices at Play
It Again are OK, but they haven't had boots I could use for years and
I'm happy with my newish skis with new bindings. So far all my stuff
has come from yard sales, although I did buy new longjohns at Big
Five.

I see them, but they don't last long. If you peruse the stores frequently,
occasionally you get lucky. I've gotten a number of skis over the years at
thrift shops or yard sales, plus a couple of snowboards, bindings, and every
snowboard boot I've ever worn. Also, jackets, ski pants, poles, goggles,
helmets...

Old September 26th 14, 12:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Goober Jones

When I first saw a pair of rockered skis, I thought a
Mogul guy had destroyed them Anything to make a
Buck.
Old September 26th 14, 12:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:04:30 PM UTC-6, Goober Jones wrote:
When I first saw a pair of rockered skis, I thought a

Mogul guy had destroyed them Anything to make a

Buck.

I was a "mogul guy". Same ski's though.
Old September 26th 14, 12:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/25/2014 04:42 PM, Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/25/2014 02:30 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

When I am in thrift shops, I always look for old skis in good
condition.

I've never seen acceptable skis at a thrift store. The prices at Play
It Again are OK, but they haven't had boots I could use for years and
I'm happy with my newish skis with new bindings. So far all my stuff
has come from yard sales, although I did buy new longjohns at Big
Five.

I see them, but they don't last long. If you peruse the stores frequently,
occasionally you get lucky. I've gotten a number of skis over the years at
thrift shops or yard sales, plus a couple of snowboards, bindings, and every
snowboard boot I've ever worn. Also, jackets, ski pants, poles, goggles,
helmets...

They have lots of skis, but boots are something else.

The boot problem is that I can't bend my left big toe enough to stuff my
foot into a normal 4-buckle boot. I need 300 mm with an acceptable
'walk' setting. I might actually have to buy something NEW some day,
the plastic on the buckles is starting to crack.