All-mountain free skiing

Old March 23rd 08, 11:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default All-mountain free skiing

On Mar 23, 2:25 am, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:
On Mar 22, 8:16 pm, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,

taichiskiing wrote:
Not as serious as I am. I'm talking about the essence/substance of
skiing

taichiskiing, your communication skills are deplorable. I don't even
feel like making fun of you. I might even give you the "hippy dippy"
'I'm discussing the "essence" of skiing and your "words" and "their
meanings" can't describe what it feels like to flow down the mountain.'

But 1) you're not. and 2) you go on to say you are talking about the
"substance" of skiing. You're not. Your are misusing words and talking
in vague, incomprehensible generalities again.

As I said, in higher level skiing, it's all mental, if you cannot see
it, you cannot do it, and vise versa.

he is still playing the rhyteric.

Oh man, I haven't even picked up rhyteric since college. Back then I
could afford a cheap knock-off japanese rhyteric but I played it in bars
and clubs all up and down the Florida panhandle and... oh "rhyteric."

And you get trapped in a structure of a language without knowing the
meanings of it tries to convey.

If you intend to communicate with skiers
in English, it behooves you to use the established skiing words as they
are commonly understood by skiers. Otherwise why write anything?

Guess that does create problems. I communicate with skiers with
physical techniques and skills, not by some fancy wording, but so-
called "heart to heart" communication--direct communication without
words--and that's what I am writing about.

You might want to leave it at that. You are missing the point once
again though. It's not about "fancy wording" it's about communication.
Clean, simple communication. Words with accepted definitions and
meanings. Clarify when needed. It may be that your English language
skills are not such that you can describe subtleties of your technique.
It reminds me a little of the time I was in Antigua, Guatemala and spent
25 minutes trying to order a strawberry daiquiri for a friend.

I'm a smart fella, I knew exactly what I wanted and... I believe we
wound up with mojitos.

If it is a language difficulty. I apologize and will try my hardest to
understand you. However, I seem to recall from our last exchange that
it was a combination of poor English on your part and equal parts mushy
thinking and stubbornness.

It is hard to communicate with someone with a defected/inoperable
receiving device.

But, in light of recent posters, you are a breath of fresh air.

Thanks, so don't soiled it in your mind.

And the established skiing
words do not carry such a capability.

Imagine if you will, *I* started discussing "Tai Chi skiing," and
started off talking about how there is only one proper form for Tai Chi
skiing. The "Tai" from Tai Chi skiing refers to the knots you must
"tai" yourself up in and "Chi" is short for "chi-toes" the preferred
after skiing snack? And you must harness energy and that energy MUST
come from gatorade?

Wouldn't you be horrified that I was presenting myself as some sort of
tai chi skiing expert, but seemed to know LESS THAN nothing about Tai
Chi? That how you sound when you start redefining "all mountain skiing"
and such.

In English, there are no truths, only stories; in Chinese, we ask if
the story can be completed in a full circle, i.e. all questions
answered. So, if your definition of "all mountain skiing" has a hole
in, so is your skiing, than it is no longer "'ALL' mountain skiing."
Yes, a good definition really matters that much.

For Taichi Skiing, if you can
follow my tracks, truthfully, then you'll feel exactly what I feel,
and you will know what Taichi Skiing is. That's transmission without
words.

I'm a snowboarder, so it would be impossible for me,

Yup, guess if you cannot follow a given track, than your techniques
have a hole in there.

but for some like
pigo... I'm pretty sure he could follow your tracks perfectly and do his
taxes and build a ship in a bottle at the same time and not feel
anything but bored.

I doubt that.

Ya, that is out of English world. Now back to the topic, tree-
skiing is not off-piste skiing? Narrow definition may clear up some
simple ideas; nevertheless, too narrow a definition only restricts
your view or prevents you to looking into deeper realm of skiing.

No, no, no. Definition doesn't not limit experience. Here's another
example. "Fear" is a well defined word.

But few really know what it is.

That definition in no way
limits what I feel when I am surfing and a shark bumps me. My
understanding of the word "fear" in no way limits what I experience as
my adrenal glands dump gallons of adrenaline into my blood and my heart
races and my mouth gets dry and I want to panic.

Nevertheless, if you still have fear in skiing, your skiing techniques
have a hole in there.

Do you know the proper terminology of skiing? If not, I'm sure people
here will help you, but if you continue to redefine words for your
convenience, then expect to met with criticism and frustration. You
know, this all seems a little familiar.

Yup, we have been on this block before. I do internet/usenet by "free"
association. If you don't like my language style, you don't have to
talk to me. If you bash, you'll know the result. As for your skiing
ability, I give you some credit when I see it.

IS

Yeah, I should of known better.

Yeah, you should, given your practice and disciplines.

IS

Dave-

Old March 23rd 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

Yeah, I should of known better.

Yeah, you should, given your practice and disciplines.

See. The way you communicate, I can't tell if that is supposed to be an
insult or an apology. I'll just assume it's an apology and accept it.
Thanks!

Dave
Old March 24th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"Dave Cartman" wrote in message
In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

Yeah, I should of known better.

Yeah, you should, given your practice and disciplines.

See. The way you communicate, I can't tell if that is supposed to be an
insult or an apology. I'll just assume it's an apology and accept it.
Thanks!

Communicating with IS is an exercise in futility. I've seen noone here ever
succeed in making sense of anything he says, or getting him to make any effort
to actually communicate. I tried last year for quite awhile, but could get
nothing but what appeared to be insults, and nonsense.

Old March 24th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Bob F wrote:

"Dave Cartman" wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:

Yeah, I should of known better.

BTW, the idiom is "should have", not "should of". Carry on.

Yeah, you should, given your practice and disciplines.

See. The way you communicate, I can't tell if that is supposed to be an
insult or an apology. I'll just assume it's an apology and accept it.
Thanks!

Communicating with IS is an exercise in futility. I've seen noone here ever
succeed in making sense of anything he says, or getting him to make any effort
to actually communicate. I tried last year for quite awhile, but could get
nothing but what appeared to be insults, and nonsense.

Perhaps if you kind of unfocus your eyes and ears and just let it sort
of flow over you it will be more understandable. Sometimes this works
when trying to communicate with people speaking English as a second
language...and sometimes it doesn't.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 24th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Mar 23, 8:13*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
Bob F wrote:
"Dave Cartman" wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:

Yeah, I should of known better.

BTW, the idiom is "should have", not "should of". *Carry on.

Yeah, you should, given your practice and disciplines.

See. *The way you communicate, I can't tell if that is supposed to be an
insult or an apology. *I'll just assume it's an apology and accept it..
Thanks!

Communicating with IS is an exercise in futility. I've seen noone here ever
succeed in making sense of anything he says, or getting him to make any effort
to actually communicate. I tried last year for quite awhile, but could get
nothing but what appeared to be insults, and nonsense.

Perhaps if you kind of unfocus your eyes and ears and just let it sort
of flow over you it will be more understandable. *Sometimes this works
when trying to communicate with people speaking English as a second
language...and sometimes it doesn't.

Ah, I get it -- tai chi English.
Old March 24th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

BTW, the idiom is "should have", not "should of". Carry on.

Here's what happened. I initially wrote "shoulda" but thought that
might not be fair to IS, who I believe doesn't have a great grasp of
English... so I changed it to "should of" and... you're right. Curses!

Yeah, you should, given your practice and disciplines.

See. The way you communicate, I can't tell if that is supposed to be an
insult or an apology. I'll just assume it's an apology and accept it.
Thanks!

Communicating with IS is an exercise in futility. I've seen noone here ever
succeed in making sense of anything he says, or getting him to make any
effort
to actually communicate. I tried last year for quite awhile, but could get
nothing but what appeared to be insults, and nonsense.

Perhaps if you kind of unfocus your eyes and ears and just let it sort
of flow over you it will be more understandable. Sometimes this works
when trying to communicate with people speaking English as a second
language...and sometimes it doesn't.

Usually when I'm trying to communicate and one of us has limited
understanding of the others language and don't have a common language
between us, we are both doing our best to understand each other. Sort
of like Kevin Costner and Tonto in "Dances with Wolves."

IS would be the guy pointing at a camel yelling "carburetor, dill pickle
jungle pants... Jungle PANTS!"
Old March 24th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Mar 23, 8:55*pm, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
*The Real Bev wrote:

[...]

jungle pants... Jungle PANTS!"- Hide quoted text -

I see your problem. I should of been "should have".

A common grammatical mistake. See above, e.g.

Old March 24th 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

taichiskiing wrote:

Yeah, I should of known better.

Yeah, you should, given your practice and disciplines.

See. The way you communicate, I can't tell if that is supposed to be an
insult or an apology. I'll just assume it's an apology and accept it.
Thanks!

Chuckle, guess that some people just would never learn. Not sure how
you read the "apology" in there, and you say I miss communicate? No,
can't communicate with someone who only read/interpreter what he/she
wants to hear. No, the comment was not an apology, but referring to
that given you claimed that you are a black-belt martial artist of
some sort, and yet, you don't seem know your own strength or the
strength of your opponents.

Communicating with IS is an exercise in futility. I've seen noone here ever
succeed in making sense of anything he says, or getting him to make any effort
to actually communicate. I tried last year for quite awhile, but could get
nothing but what appeared to be insults, and nonsense.

What Taichi does is to use your opponents' strength to defeat
themselves, and the techniques are reflecting and redirect, so the
force that you feel is reflection of your own. As I said, if you don't
harbor the insults and nonsense on your own, then you would not be
insulted by your own forces/intends when they bounce back. Why you
insist in correct my English on a skiing forum? To show you speak
better English so you ski better?

Actually, an incident last summer made me realize the problem is not
in communication but purely language discrimination, if not racism. We
were rollerblading on a bike path. Four ladies with one child and a
stroller walked abeam and blocked the whole path. When they ignored
our plead for passing, so we squeezed through a small opening passed
them and made a comment that they shouldn't block the road. Instead of
apology, one of the ladies made a remark, "why don't you go where you
belong?" I took it as offensive racist remark, and gave them a hard
time and a very ugly face. As I stood in front of them blocked the
path, they asked me why I block the road, I told them, that's their
way to themselves, and told them to remember my ugly face next time
they make a racist remark. As this incident was not the first time I
encountered, I started to realize that's how some people feel and do
without themselves even know it.

What do you want to communicate with me about? Your English is
superior, so you ski better? Do you think this question is nonsense
and insulting?

IS
Old March 24th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

taichiskiing wrote:

Yeah, I should of known better.

Yeah, you should, given your practice and disciplines.

See. The way you communicate, I can't tell if that is supposed to be an
insult or an apology. I'll just assume it's an apology and accept it.
Thanks!

Chuckle, guess that some people just would never learn. Not sure how
you read the "apology" in there, and you say I miss communicate?

That's known as giving you the benefit of the doubt.

[...]

Perhaps your communication didn't politely carry the message that you would
appreciate a path through.

What do you want to communicate with me about? Your English is
superior, so you ski better? Do you think this question is nonsense
and insulting?

I have tried to get some REAL understanding of what your "taichiskiing" is. I
never got a real clue, other than videos of someone waving arms around skiing an
easy run without using the edges on their skis as they are designed to be used.
And yes, I both ski and certainly snowboard WAY better than anything in your
videos. And I am not going to waste anymore time on you.

Old March 24th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,

taichiskiing wrote:

Yeah, I should of known better.

Yeah, you should, given your practice and disciplines.

See. The way you communicate, I can't tell if that is supposed to be an
insult or an apology. I'll just assume it's an apology and accept it.
Thanks!

Chuckle, guess that some people just would never learn. Not sure how
you read the "apology" in there, and you say I miss communicate?

Yes, you do.

No,
can't communicate with someone who only read/interpreter what he/she
wants to hear. No, the comment was not an apology, but referring to
that given you claimed that you are a black-belt martial artist of
some sort, and yet, you don't seem know your own strength or the
strength of your opponents.

First, the "you hear only what you want to hear" has been used by poor
communicators for years. That puts all the responsibility for
communication on the listener/reader. You constantly redefine words
words and recreate the rules of punctuation as you claim expert status
in skiing despite being unable to demonstrate any proficiency beyond
average.

Second, I have never claimed to have a black belt.

What Taichi does is to use your opponents' strength to defeat
themselves, and the techniques are reflecting and redirect, so the
force that you feel is reflection of your own.

I always thought it was to keep old people, who were in too poor
condition for "jazzercise," moving.

As I said, if you don't
harbor the insults and nonsense on your own, then you would not be
insulted by your own forces/intends when they bounce back.

This is the "I'm rubber and you're glue, anything you say bounces off me
and sticks to you" movement. I believe it pre-dates tai-chi by several
thousand years.

Why you
insist in correct my English on a skiing forum? To show you speak
better English so you ski better?

No. Because you are claiming a superior expertise in skiing, but refuse
to bother to use the correct terms and get ****y when people point that
out.

Your opinion of what "all mountain skiing" means is a great example of
that. Did you ever read "Catch 22?" In it General Peckem is head of
"special services." Special services traditionally saw to matters of
recreation or entertainment, such as softball leagues or U.S.O. shows.
As head of special services, General Peckem wanted to command the combat
forces because, "After all, what could be more of a łspecial service˛
than bombing people?"

Actually, an incident last summer made me realize the problem is not
in communication but purely language discrimination, if not racism. We
were rollerblading on a bike path. Four ladies with one child and a
stroller walked abeam and blocked the whole path. When they ignored
our plead for passing, so we squeezed through a small opening passed
them and made a comment that they shouldn't block the road. Instead of
apology, one of the ladies made a remark, "why don't you go where you
belong?" I took it as offensive racist remark, and gave them a hard
time and a very ugly face.

Of course I was there, but I suspect you were on a walking path and they
were telling you to go to a bike path. That's not to say they were
right, but that is a far more likely scenario than this being a racist
comment.

It reminds me of the time I was in a professional school and one of the
other students was a african-american who refused to be anywhere
remotely on time. One of the sites started at 7 am and he rolled in
around 9 each morning despite being specifically instructed to be on
time the next day. One day one of the supervisors yelled at him,
"where I come from, you show up on time and ready to go!" The student
chose to interpret that as a racist comment, and made official
complaints everywhere against the instructor. When the dust settled,
the school had passed the student on for fear of legal repercussions and
the instructor had been labeled a racist.

Keep your mind open to the possibility that criticism against you may be
valid. Playing the "race card" when you, are in fact, wrong, will work
for only so long.

As I stood in front of them blocked the
path, they asked me why I block the road, I told them, that's their
way to themselves, and told them to remember my ugly face next time
they make a racist remark.

That doesn't sound like a very tai chi approach. I would have slid past
them and forgotten about them in 30 seconds instead of escalating a
brief encounter with strangers on a walking path into a big argument.
Plus... (and you might want to write this down) never get into a shoving
match or a fight while wearing roller blades.

What do you want to communicate with me about? Your English is
superior, so you ski better? Do you think this question is nonsense
and insulting?

It's not "nonsense and insulting" but, as usual, you miss the point.
I'm a snowboarder, I don't ski at all. I don't care if you "tai chi
ski" everyday for the rest of your life and I sincerely hope that you
enjoy every moment of it. My issue is that you arrogantly claim to ski
at a much higher level than everyone else here, but are incapable of
rational or coherent discussion. When criticized for it, you
immediately blame the reader's inadequacy for being unable to comprehend
your genius and spirituality. You're another silly, internet blowhard.

Dave