All-mountain free skiing

Old March 21st 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default All-mountain free skiing

Bob F wrote:
"Armin" wrote in message news:52d61361-80f5-4457-ad0b-
I don't know if I'd call it "All-mountain free skiing "... sure looks
like an intermidiate on-piste run to me. I always thought that "All-
mountain free skiing " involves off-piste skiing, but hey, that's just
me. YMMV.

I like the flapping arms thing though. Reminds of of how my daughter
skied when ske was about 6 years old. ;-)

I thought those were turn signals.

Anybody know semaphore?

I think he may be trying to tell us something....

//Walt
Old March 21st 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"taichiskiing" wrote in message

I don't know if I'd call it "All-mountain free skiing "... sure looks
like an intermidiate on-piste run to me. I always thought that "All-
mountain free skiing " involves off-piste skiing, but hey, that's just
me. YMMV.

Your observation is so predictable; now we learn that the skier is ex
level 3 coach, does that make the hill bigger?

Not a bit.

Old March 21st 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

On Mar 20, 2:39 pm, Armin wrote:
On Mar 20, 3:13 pm, Walt wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpPBnud7jc

Ah, I see you've given up on flatboarding and reverted to plain old
skiing ...

Yes, I do detect some edging there. I don't know that I'd call this
"plain old skiing", but it's well within the norms of what I see on a
regular basis.

Everytime Itchy posts a video I have to remind myself of
this:http://www.breakthroughonskis.com/Pa...n/instruction1

//Walt

I don't know if I'd call it "All-mountain free skiing "... sure looks
like an intermidiate on-piste run to me. I always thought that "All-
mountain free skiing " involves off-piste skiing, but hey, that's just
me. YMMV.

Your observation is so predictable; now we learn that the skier is ex
level 3 coach, does that make the hill bigger? My "all-mountain" is
defined as from top to bottom and all the sides of a mountain, off-
piste is only a part of it.

No. The level of the skier doesn't change the run which was obviously a
very easy intermediate run.

I like the flapping arms thing though. Reminds of of how my daughter
skied when ske was about 6 years old. ;-)

Yeah, the 6 year-old has a smart idea. If you ever watch John
Clendenin's clips (1 or 2 minutes clips featured in one of RSN morning
shows), you'll find all experts showed in his clips ski with open
arms, even though they still holding poles.

YMMV, indeed,
IS

Armin

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 21st 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:46:02 -0500, Walt
wrote this crap:

I like the flapping arms thing though. Reminds of of how my daughter
skied when ske was about 6 years old. ;-)

I thought those were turn signals.

Anybody know semaphore?

I do. I learned it in the Boy Scouts. I grew up as a warrior, I
fought many battles, and I retired as an officer, a leader of
warriors. My name will be spoken forever.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old March 21st 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

taichiskiing wrote:

My "all-mountain" is
defined as from top to bottom and all the sides of a mountain, off-
piste is only a part of it.

taichiskiing, once again you have redefined a pre-existing word/phrase
which already has an established definition, which will inevitably lead
to misunderstanding and possibly harsh words, at the expense of
communication. [aside: do you do this deliberately, or is this a
language problem?]

In any case "all mountain" was added to the skiing lexicon (by ski
manufacturers and retailers, may there souls suffer dry year torment) to
delineate an alternative to groomed on piste skiing popular with the
masses: it is very obviously, by its usage which provides its
established definition, intended to identify skiing off piste i.e.
skiing the rest of the mountain that the typical recreational skier avoids.

See you when you get here. We'll be skiing long after Heavenly closes if
this is a typical year.

Bye.
Old March 22nd 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Mar 21, 12:36 pm, lal_truckee wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:
My "all-mountain" is
defined as from top to bottom and all the sides of a mountain, off-
piste is only a part of it.

taichiskiing, once again you have redefined a pre-existing word/phrase
which already has an established definition, which will inevitably lead
to misunderstanding and possibly harsh words, at the expense of
communication. [aside: do you do this deliberately, or is this a
language problem?]

Yes, and no. The problem is also rest in English itself. You must know
this story--there're no truths in English, only stories? The truth is
really depended on whom you "believe"? And there are zillions voices
out there, and they don't see eye-to-eye, harsh words only reflect
their lacked of ethical discipline; nevertheless, my English words
begin with a definition, unfortunately, based on my own experience.

In any case "all mountain" was added to the skiing lexicon (by ski
manufacturers and retailers, may there souls suffer dry year torment) to
delineate an alternative to groomed on piste skiing popular with the
masses: it is very obviously, by its usage which provides its
established definition, intended to identify skiing off piste i.e.
skiing the rest of the mountain that the typical recreational skier avoids.

Thanks for the info, nevertheless, how many English speaking people,
in percentage, would understand that kind of technical distinction?
And I began skiing when there was no or minimal grooming, was I always
on off-piste? So all-mountain, to me, in common English, is "top-to-
bottom-and-all-sides."

See you when you get here. We'll be skiing long after Heavenly closes if
this is a typical year.

That's a thought. I'll let you know. Rumor has it, Heavenly is
planning close on May 4th this season.

'later,
IS

Bye.

Old March 22nd 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Bob F wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message
On Mar 21, 12:36 pm, lal_truckee wrote:

In any case "all mountain" was added to the skiing lexicon

clip

it is very obviously, by its usage which provides its
established definition, intended to identify skiing off piste

clip

Thanks for the info, nevertheless, how many English speaking people,
in percentage, would understand that kind of technical distinction?

Just the skiers.

taichiskiing, Bob is serious. If you intend to communicate with skiers
in English, it behooves you to use the established skiing words as they
are commonly understood by skiers. Otherwise why write anything?

Bye.
Old March 23rd 08, 08:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Mar 22, 8:16 pm, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,

taichiskiing wrote:
Not as serious as I am. I'm talking about the essence/substance of
skiing

taichiskiing, your communication skills are deplorable. I don't even
feel like making fun of you. I might even give you the "hippy dippy"
'I'm discussing the "essence" of skiing and your "words" and "their
meanings" can't describe what it feels like to flow down the mountain.'

But 1) you're not. and 2) you go on to say you are talking about the
"substance" of skiing. You're not. Your are misusing words and talking
in vague, incomprehensible generalities again.

As I said, in higher level skiing, it's all mental, if you cannot see
it, you cannot do it, and vise versa.

he is still playing the rhyteric.

Oh man, I haven't even picked up rhyteric since college. Back then I
could afford a cheap knock-off japanese rhyteric but I played it in bars
and clubs all up and down the Florida panhandle and... oh "rhyteric."

And you get trapped in a structure of a language without knowing the
meanings of it tries to convey.

If you intend to communicate with skiers
in English, it behooves you to use the established skiing words as they
are commonly understood by skiers. Otherwise why write anything?

Guess that does create problems. I communicate with skiers with
physical techniques and skills, not by some fancy wording, but so-
called "heart to heart" communication--direct communication without
words--and that's what I am writing about.

You might want to leave it at that. You are missing the point once
again though. It's not about "fancy wording" it's about communication.
Clean, simple communication. Words with accepted definitions and
meanings. Clarify when needed. It may be that your English language
skills are not such that you can describe subtleties of your technique.
It reminds me a little of the time I was in Antigua, Guatemala and spent
25 minutes trying to order a strawberry daiquiri for a friend.

I'm a smart fella, I knew exactly what I wanted and... I believe we
wound up with mojitos.

If it is a language difficulty. I apologize and will try my hardest to
understand you. However, I seem to recall from our last exchange that
it was a combination of poor English on your part and equal parts mushy
thinking and stubbornness.

It is hard to communicate with someone with a defected/inoperable
receiving device.

But, in light of recent posters, you are a breath of fresh air.

Thanks, so don't soiled it in your mind.

And the established skiing
words do not carry such a capability.

Imagine if you will, *I* started discussing "Tai Chi skiing," and
started off talking about how there is only one proper form for Tai Chi
skiing. The "Tai" from Tai Chi skiing refers to the knots you must
"tai" yourself up in and "Chi" is short for "chi-toes" the preferred
after skiing snack? And you must harness energy and that energy MUST
come from gatorade?

Wouldn't you be horrified that I was presenting myself as some sort of
tai chi skiing expert, but seemed to know LESS THAN nothing about Tai
Chi? That how you sound when you start redefining "all mountain skiing"
and such.

In English, there are no truths, only stories; in Chinese, we ask if
the story can be completed in a full circle, i.e. all questions
answered. So, if your definition of "all mountain skiing" has a hole
in, so is your skiing, than it is no longer "'ALL' mountain skiing."
Yes, a good definition really matters that much.

For Taichi Skiing, if you can
follow my tracks, truthfully, then you'll feel exactly what I feel,
and you will know what Taichi Skiing is. That's transmission without
words.

I'm a snowboarder, so it would be impossible for me,

Yup, guess if you cannot follow a given track, than your techniques
have a hole in there.

but for some like
pigo... I'm pretty sure he could follow your tracks perfectly and do his
taxes and build a ship in a bottle at the same time and not feel
anything but bored.

I doubt that.

Ya, that is out of English world. Now back to the topic, tree-
skiing is not off-piste skiing? Narrow definition may clear up some
simple ideas; nevertheless, too narrow a definition only restricts
your view or prevents you to looking into deeper realm of skiing.

No, no, no. Definition doesn't not limit experience. Here's another
example. "Fear" is a well defined word.

But few really know what it is.

That definition in no way
limits what I feel when I am surfing and a shark bumps me. My
understanding of the word "fear" in no way limits what I experience as
my adrenal glands dump gallons of adrenaline into my blood and my heart
races and my mouth gets dry and I want to panic.

Nevertheless, if you still have fear in skiing, your skiing techniques
have a hole in there.

Do you know the proper terminology of skiing? If not, I'm sure people
here will help you, but if you continue to redefine words for your
convenience, then expect to met with criticism and frustration. You
know, this all seems a little familiar.

Yup, we have been on this block before. I do internet/usenet by "free"
association. If you don't like my language style, you don't have to
talk to me. If you bash, you'll know the result. As for your skiing
ability, I give you some credit when I see it.

IS

Dave

Old March 23rd 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,

taichiskiing wrote:
[...]