Serfaus/Fiss

Old October 23rd 03, 08:31 AM
Jochen

Default Serfaus/Fiss

Anybody here experiences with the Fiss/Serfaus Area in Austria? Is it
crowded there? Good place to go skiing? Cheap? Expensive?
Or does anybody know a good ski resort not to crowdy, not too small, in
Austria? I have already been in Oetz, Sölden, Kühtai and Obergürgl, Oetz and
Kühtai too small, Sölden too crowdy and Obergürgl to expensive. So I am
looking fot a place, as big as Sölden, as cheap as Oetz and quiet as
Obergürgl. Maybe Serfaus/Fiss? I don't know, or somewhere else

Thx

JMC

Old October 23rd 03, 09:12 AM
Michael MacClancy

"Jochen" wrote in message
Anybody here experiences with the Fiss/Serfaus Area in Austria? Is it
crowded there? Good place to go skiing? Cheap? Expensive?
Or does anybody know a good ski resort not to crowdy, not too small, in
Austria? I have already been in Oetz, Sölden, Kühtai and Obergürgl, Oetz

and
Kühtai too small, Sölden too crowdy and Obergürgl to expensive. So I am
looking fot a place, as big as Sölden, as cheap as Oetz and quiet as
Obergürgl. Maybe Serfaus/Fiss? I don't know, or somewhere else

Thx

JMC

We went to Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis about 9 years ago and enjoyed ourselves. The
skiing's not very difficult. Back then there were a lot of drag lifts (too
many) but this might have changed. There was also a need to build a lift
from Serfaus to the Sattelkopf in order to connect properly to Fiss. At the
time I think we thought the most enjoyable skiing was from the Fisser Joch
towards Schoengampalm. The Serfaus lifts between Scheid and Mindersjoch
were rather annoying - basically each lift serves one piste only and they're
linked in a chain.

Serfaus was pretty quiet. The ski school was full of Dutch. I know people
with families who go back to Fiss year after year.

Another quiet place we've been was Leogang. This is a small village with a
reasonable amount of skiing of its own but it connects into
Saalbach-Hinterglemm. You get to ski in Saalbach without having to put up
with the noise at night.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old October 23rd 03, 06:24 PM
Turan Fettahoglu

"Jochen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Anybody here experiences with the Fiss/Serfaus Area in Austria? Is it
crowded there? Good place to go skiing? Cheap? Expensive?
Or does anybody know a good ski resort not to crowdy, not too small, in
Austria? I have already been in Oetz, Sölden, Kühtai and Obergürgl, Oetz

and
Kühtai too small, Sölden too crowdy and Obergürgl to expensive. So I am
looking fot a place, as big as Sölden, as cheap as Oetz and quiet as
Obergürgl. Maybe Serfaus/Fiss?

Sorry, such a place can't exist anywhere.

Try the Pitztal. It is cheaper than the Ötztal, and quieter, unless you know
where to go for après-ski. At Mandarfen you can walk to the ski lifts,
otherwise there is a free ski bus. The Pitztal Glacier runs might be open
already. I have been there two years ago, and liked it. A car might be
useful.

Second try: Zillertal, with resorts at Fügen, Kaltenbach, Hippach,
Mayrhofen, Egg, Hintertux. Fügen probably is cheapest, Hintertux somewhat
expensive, but with guaranteed snow on the glacier. Mayrhofen is considered
somewhat posh. Hintertux might become snowbound.

Third try: Katschberg. The ski runs start right at the hotel doors, and
everything is in walking distance. Katschberg is on the border between
Salzburg and Carinthia, near the Tauern-Autobahn.

Enjoy!

Turan

Old October 24th 03, 07:17 AM
Steve

"Jochen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Anybody here experiences with the Fiss/Serfaus Area in Austria? Is it
crowded there? Good place to go skiing? Cheap? Expensive?
Or does anybody know a good ski resort not to crowdy, not too small, in
Austria? I have already been in Oetz, Sölden, Kühtai and Obergürgl, Oetz

and
Kühtai too small, Sölden too crowdy and Obergürgl to expensive. So I am
looking fot a place, as big as Sölden, as cheap as Oetz and quiet as
Obergürgl. Maybe Serfaus/Fiss? I don't know, or somewhere else

Serfaus isn't particularly cheap (as it is a popular resort with some
nationalities). It can be crowded at the expected times (European and
especially Dutch and German school holidays). Skiing is underrated -
generally intermediate, but a few relatively long runs and some good
opportunities for off-piste in the right conditions - it has the same
advantages as La Plagne (used to have?) - as a "family resort" there are not
many people out skiing powder. Sunny exposure, good views, Euro/Germanic
resort nightlife, relatively accessible from Innsbruck, take good tyres and
chains if driving (access road can be "interesting").

Certainly enjoy going there for a day - probably be bored at the end of a
week. But then I certainly would be in Ellmau or Niederau - Serfaus beats
the pants off many more well-known resorts down in the Unterland. And can
you resist a resort where you get on an underground railway to take you to
the slopes?

--
Steve
http://www.skiseefeld.com/

Old October 24th 03, 09:58 AM
Richard Crapp

I had three good years staying at Hoch Solden 15 years ago. Seem to
remember not much night life up their. Can't have changed much, not
enough room.

In article lekom.at,
Steve writes