OT query: Sierra roads in Placer County W of Tahoe?

Old May 27th 06, 08:40 PM

Default OT query: Sierra roads in Placer County W of Tahoe?

I'm asking these OT questions here because these are ba. groups I
monitor, and some of the regulars on these may have answers.

Later this summer I'd like to make some day explorations of the Sierra
back country region W of Lake Tahoe but as close to the Lake as
possible, _by road_, using a strictly "on road" vehicle (PT Cruiser or
Honda Element) and operating out of a home base in the vicinity of
Truckee.

From looking at a map, target destinations might include French Meadows,
Hell Hole Reservoir, and maybe Loon Lake. But it also appears that the
only way to get to these areas from the North end is to back-track on
Hwy 80 all the way down to Colfax and come back East from there -- or
else an even longer trip down to the S end of Tahoe, W over Echo Summit
on Hwy 50, and then up past Ice House Reservoir.

So, is there any more direct back-road access to these regions heading S
from places like Norden or Blue Canyon? -- Or is the N fork of the
American River an impenetrable barrier (for ordinary autos, anyway)
along that whole length S of 80?

And are there any other groups whose posters might have info on this?

Thanks.
Old May 27th 06, 09:56 PM

AES wrote:
I'm asking these OT questions here because these are ba. groups I
monitor, and some of the regulars on these may have answers.

Later this summer I'd like to make some day explorations of the Sierra
back country region W of Lake Tahoe but as close to the Lake as
possible, _by road_, using a strictly "on road" vehicle (PT Cruiser or
Honda Element) and operating out of a home base in the vicinity of
Truckee.

From looking at a map, target destinations might include French Meadows,
Hell Hole Reservoir, and maybe Loon Lake. But it also appears that the
only way to get to these areas from the North end is to back-track on
Hwy 80 all the way down to Colfax and come back East from there -- or
else an even longer trip down to the S end of Tahoe, W over Echo Summit
on Hwy 50, and then up past Ice House Reservoir.

So, is there any more direct back-road access to these regions heading S
from places like Norden or Blue Canyon? -- Or is the N fork of the
American River an impenetrable barrier (for ordinary autos, anyway)
along that whole length S of 80?

And are there any other groups whose posters might have info on this?

Thanks.

You might check out

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/maps/

That would at least give you starting information about what roads are
available. You could then check with the Forest Service as to which
ones are passable by your vehicle.

Old May 28th 06, 01:27 AM

Old May 28th 06, 05:41 PM

AES wrote:
I'm asking these OT questions here because these are ba. groups I
monitor, and some of the regulars on these may have answers.

So, is there any more direct back-road access to these regions heading S
from places like Norden or Blue Canyon? -- Or is the N fork of the
American River an impenetrable barrier (for ordinary autos, anyway)
along that whole length S of 80?

The map shows Soda Springs Road going all the way to Auburn, turning
into Foresthill Road. However, I tried to check this out once and
found that it turns into dirt not far past Serene Lakes. I backed out
after a few yards and I was driving a Honda CRV AWD. I wouldn't
consider a PT Cruiser.

And are there any other groups whose posters might have info on this?

Thanks.

4WD clubs?
Old May 28th 06, 08:33 PM

In article ,
Jeff Lanam wrote:

So, is there any more direct back-road access to these regions heading S
from places like Norden or Blue Canyon? -- Or is the N fork of the
American River an impenetrable barrier (for ordinary autos, anyway)
along that whole length S of 80?

The map shows Soda Springs Road going all the way to Auburn, turning
into Foresthill Road. However, I tried to check this out once and
found that it turns into dirt not far past Serene Lakes. I backed out
after a few yards and I was driving a Honda CRV AWD. I wouldn't
consider a PT Cruiser.

Thanks -- pretty much what I thought would be the case.

And are there any other groups whose posters might have info on this?

4WD clubs?

Yes -- but they seem to focus much more on the more southerly El Dorado
County area, notably the Rubicon Trail, Georgetown to Tahoma, than on
the Placer County area. And El Dorado County itself seems to put a lot
more publicity, maps, etc, than Placer County.