Best wrist brace?

Old January 28th 04, 03:14 PM
Patrick F. Clarin

Default Best wrist brace?

Having just sprained my wrist pretty bad, I plan to buy a brace for when I'm
finally all healed. Anyway recommend a good brace that they have used?

Old January 28th 04, 03:40 PM
Mike T

Having just sprained my wrist pretty bad, I plan to buy a brace for
when I'm
finally all healed. Anyway recommend a good brace that they have

used?

There are ones that go over the glove and ones that go under the glove.
I find the DaKine guards that go under the glove quite convenient and I
don't really notice them when I'm riding (until I fall that is, and they
do their job). If you wear a glove or mitt that has an outer shell and
an inner liner, you might be able to sandwich the DaKine guards in
between - sometimes I do that with my OR Mt Baker Modular mitts.

I'll let Arvin tell you all about No Gomers, which are over-the-glove,
and which I will probably try sometime. They look like they offer
superior protection to the thumb as well as to the wrist.

Read up on the caveats of using wrist guards.... for small impacts they
do dissipate the impact well, but for harder impacts you might injure
another body part instead, such as breaking a forearm instead of a
wrist. I know I've saved myself from a few *sprained wrists* using
them, but I've never taken an impact with enough force in the right
place to break a wrist, so I can't tell you about that.

Mike T

Old January 28th 04, 05:00 PM
Barney

"Mike T" wrote in message
[...]

That's a good thing, though. The wrist is a mess of wee bones that you
really don't want to break. A broken forearm, on the other hand, is a nice
easy thing to fix.

Old January 28th 04, 05:13 PM
Mike Watson

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:14:51 -0500, "Patrick F. Clarin"
wrote:

Having just sprained my wrist pretty bad, I plan to buy a brace for when I'm
finally all healed. Anyway recommend a good brace that they have used?

I use No-Gomers after I broke my wrist a few years ago.

Definitely saved me from a badly broken thumb last year as they also
prevent it from getting torn back.
Old January 28th 04, 11:27 PM
Jason Watkins

That's a good thing, though. The wrist is a mess of wee bones that you
really don't want to break. A broken forearm, on the other hand, is a nice
easy thing to fix.

Speaking as someone who broke their forearm (yay basketball! boy do I
suck at it), and has slight misalignment now that it's healed, that's
not quite true. I lost some range of motion in my left wrist, as well
as a lot of strength. I have discomfort from my tendons basicly every
day, can't wear a watch anymore, etc. And my break was just a nice
clean snap of both bones with almost no damage to the enclosing
tissue.

Bottom line is, any break is bad. Wrist guards should help, (ohh yeah,
another product of my break, I can't wrear wrist guards), but it's
also important to learn to fall without extending your arms.
Old January 29th 04, 01:43 AM
Arvin Chang

"Mike T" wrote in message ...
[...]

So you take the Donek questions and I take the No Gomer questions
Mike? So yes, I like the wrist guards are lot, they are very
protective (I've fallen from 10-15 feet without harm to my wrist). I
wear them over my OR basic mitts, the nice thing about over the glove
mitts is that they don't wear down the palm of your gloves, and you
can take them off at the same time as your glove (if you are carefully
you can put them back on with the glove at the same time too). One
issue is that snow will begin to build up if you drag your hands a
lot, it doesn't affect the protective, just that you have like a big
chunk of snow on your hand. You shouldn't be dragging your hands ever
anyway.

Yes, you might end up breaking your forearm, although it would take a
*tremendous* crash to do that (one that would have probably shattered
your wrist into lots of little pieces) also a clean forearm break
heals much better than all those little wrist bones. Let's just forget
situation as I don't think it will ever happen.

Below is an except of a previous posting on the topic.
===================
I used and recommend No-Gomer over the glove/mitt wristguards. I've
being using them for 6 years now (wow it's been a while). They are
designed specifically for snowboarders and I find them to be
excellent.

The upper and bottom splints are extra wide, which help absorb the
significantly great forcers involved in snowboarding compared to
rollerblading/skateboard. In addition, the bottom splint is designed
such that you never take the force of the impact on your palm like
more "kinked" rollerblade wristguards.

It's a little hard to describe, but the force of impact is redirect
along the length of the splints and through the straps (the guard will
slide a little). This dramatically reduces the impact as the force is
spread of over a significantly larger area and the slightly shift in
the guards lengths the impact absorption time, spreading out the time
of impact, which also reduces the force of the impact. That probably
didn't make much sense, let just say I think it works really well. Let
me know if you want me to try explain further.

Finally, they have a really good thumb protector that keeps you from
ever jamming or hyper-extending your thumb.
==============

Here's a photo.
http://www.reliableracing.com/Winter...&category=3000

www.reliableracing.com was selling them, but sold out. I was told you
can also go to *any* REI (www.rei.com) in the nation and order it
there. Or you can order them directly by calling 1-888-282-5247
(888-AUCLAIR). If REI does sell them, then you are set because they
have a return *anytime* policy where even if it breaks because you ran
over it with your car two years later, you can still return it with a
receipt.

--Arvin
Old January 30th 04, 02:44 PM
Nick

"Patrick F. Clarin" wrote in message ...
Having just sprained my wrist pretty bad, I plan to buy a brace for when I'm
finally all healed. Anyway recommend a good brace that they have used?

I use the 'Red' wrist guards, they fit fairly easily under my mitts
and don't reduce finger and thumb movement much. they're not hugely
stiff but seem to dissipate the force of a fall quite nicely.
http://youtrek.com/bcs/?b=Red

Couple of questions (pants, gloves, wrist injury, half pipe). MP Snowboarding 7 January 25th 04 09:17 AM
Wrist Guards for auction Simon Gillow Snowboarding 0 January 12th 04 07:49 PM
Wrist protection Bo Lind Snowboarding 8 January 1st 04 10:42 PM
Burton Gloves with wrist protection Savage Snowboarding 4 December 21st 03 10:40 PM
FS: No Gomers Snowboard Wrist Guards Marty Snowboarding 1 November 26th 03 09:23 PM