Suggestions for Christmas-time skiing

Old November 19th 04, 05:42 PM
Richard M

lal_truckee wrote:
Richard M wrote:
Light blue as in almost a green. My impression of Mammoth was lots of
blacks, and lots of greens, with limited blues in between.

Sounds like another trip is warrented, with additional terrain scouting.
Try the Dragon Back area, for starters...

Agreed. Probably won't get out there anytime soon. Gotta figure out
how to pay for the expenses of a 6-month old daughter first. When I
was at Mammoth, the Dragon Back area wasn't open. Or at least nobody
was skiing there. I ventured over towards it and found lots of frozen
slush. This was in March and we had highs in the 60s. Got my first
taste of corn snow then. Yum.

Old November 19th 04, 08:30 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-18, Rodney Somerstein penned:
Thanks to everyone who replied. It turns out that we decided to wait until
February anyway. So, the snow shouldn't be too much of an issue, hopefully.

I expect we'll probably get in 4 or 5 days of skiing, so it should be a nice
trip. I hadn't considered Mammoth, but that could be a possibility. I think
we are kind of leaning toward somewhere in Colorado or maybe Utah. My
brother has skied in Utah relatively recently and favors trying somewhere in
Colorado.

Well, last year, Colorado's skiing seemed to go directly from "really bare
pre-season" to "really bare post-season." Our honeymoon the first week of May
was spent at Vail, navigating around mud puddles. Meantime, I kept reading
reports of massive dumps in Utah.

So, either Colorado's due for some lovin', or your best bet is Utah. I hope
it's the former, as I've signed up for my company's (fun, not competitive) ski
team.

If you go to Utah, I highly recommend Solitude.

--
monique

Old November 20th 04, 03:55 AM
Dave Stallard

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, last year, Colorado's skiing seemed to go directly from "really bare
pre-season" to "really bare post-season." Our honeymoon the first week of May
was spent at Vail, navigating around mud puddles. Meantime, I kept reading
reports of massive dumps in Utah.

What do you expect from Vail in May? It's not even open then, is it?

Dave

Old November 20th 04, 11:02 AM
Mary Malmros

Dave Stallard wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, last year, Colorado's skiing seemed to go directly from "really
bare
pre-season" to "really bare post-season." Our honeymoon the first
week of May
was spent at Vail, navigating around mud puddles. Meantime, I kept
reading
reports of massive dumps in Utah.

What do you expect from Vail in May? It's not even open then, is it?

That plus, hasn't CO been having a really exceptional amount of
early-season/pre-season snow? I know this was true farther east, not
sure if it was happening as far west as Vail, but CO had a really wet
weather pattern this summer and when it continued into fall, it turned
to snow, so I heard.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old November 20th 04, 01:43 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-20, Dave Stallard penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, last year, Colorado's skiing seemed to go directly from "really bare
pre-season" to "really bare post-season." Our honeymoon the first week of
May was spent at Vail, navigating around mud puddles. Meantime, I kept
reading reports of massive dumps in Utah.

What do you expect from Vail in May? It's not even open then, is it?

IIRC, we got several feet of snow the year before in mid-May; enough to
actually lock down several resorts due to avalanche risk. And yes, it was
open when we were there. We actually had some great fun. We knew we were
taking a risk, but historically, May has had as good a chance of dumping
heavy, wet snow as it has of finishing off the ski season.

Two years ago, A-Basin closed in July.

Anyway, we had colorado passes to burn, so Vail was relatively cheap for what
we wanted (nice hotel, good restaurants, and hopefully some skiing).

Regardless of the weather in May, last year was pretty much the suck for a lot
of Colorado resorts.

--
monique

Old November 20th 04, 04:44 PM
uglymoney

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:43:01 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2004-11-20, Dave Stallard penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

[...]

I think you might be thinking of April, not May. Most of the majors
in Colorado close, regardless of conditions, sometime in April.

nate

Old November 20th 04, 04:45 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-20, Mary Malmros penned:
Dave Stallard wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, last year, Colorado's skiing seemed to go directly from "really bare
pre-season" to "really bare post-season." Our honeymoon the first week of
May was spent at Vail, navigating around mud puddles. Meantime, I kept
reading reports of massive dumps in Utah.

What do you expect from Vail in May? It's not even open then, is it?

That plus, hasn't CO been having a really exceptional amount of
early-season/pre-season snow? I know this was true farther east, not sure
if it was happening as far west as Vail, but CO had a really wet weather
pattern this summer and when it continued into fall, it turned to snow, so I
heard.

Okay, the may thing really wasn't the point. The point was in the first
sentence, namely that we never had a decent amount of snow last year; a lot of
stuff stayed pretty bare the whole time.

In the part that was snipped by Dave, I also said that this could be
interpreted two ways: either we're due for some good snow, or we're to be
avoided. In other words, it's a crapshoot, just as it is every year.

We've had a ridiculous amount of precipitation this summer, and some lucky early
cold snaps allowed the resorts to spew enough artificial snow to open pretty
early, but I think it's too early to say whether snow will be good this year.
Of course, I certainly hope it will be.

--
monique

Old November 20th 04, 08:05 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-20, uglymoney penned:

On 2004-11-20, Dave Stallard penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

[...]

AAAAARRRRGGHGHHHH!

Er, yes. April. The month that follows March.

Hi, I'm an idiot. I get my wedding date confused with May, too. How
embarrassing.

But it *is* true that A-Basin closed in July.

--
monique

Old November 20th 04, 09:26 PM

On 11/19/2004 10:55 PM, Dave Stallard wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, last year, Colorado's skiing seemed to go directly from "really
bare
pre-season" to "really bare post-season." Our honeymoon the first
week of May
was spent at Vail, navigating around mud puddles. Meantime, I kept
reading
reports of massive dumps in Utah.

What do you expect from Vail in May? It's not even open then, is it?

Dave

Ski in May? Where are you Chili?

Old November 21st 04, 01:18 AM
Steve FZ1

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, last year, Colorado's skiing seemed to go directly from "really
bare
pre-season" to "really bare post-season." Our honeymoon the first week
of May
was spent at Vail, navigating around mud puddles. Meantime, I kept
reading
reports of massive dumps in Utah.

What do you expect from Vail in May? It's not even open then, is it?

Dave

Ski in May? Where are you Chili?

Or would that be Chile?