wax layers

Old January 4th 06, 01:05 AM

Default wax layers

This year I am waxing for junior racers for the first time. Most races
are very short, 5k or so. If it is a pure fluro day they seem to
always be applied using hand or roto cork. That is the background now
two questions, If it is a topcoat day is there any advantage to a HF
underlayer versus a LF underlayer. ( the races are so short I don't
think you could ski down to the under layer) Also do classic racers
topcoat differently in races due to the quickly glazed conditions found
in the track? Is there one "best" pure fluro topcoat that is more
predictable in the track? Thanks for the help

Old January 4th 06, 06:09 PM

If it is a topcoat day is there any advantage to a HF
underlayer versus a LF underlayer. ( the races are so short I don't
think you could ski down to the under layer)

I too wax for juniors, although I'm hardly an expert. If the conditions are
really wet or for important races (JO qualifier, etc.), I'll use HF
underlayer. For regular season races, I usually go with the LF underlayer
for the reason you state.

Also do classic racers
topcoat differently in races due to the quickly glazed conditions found
in the track?

Same topcoat - solid pure fluoro, corked or rotocorked in, brushed, and
polished. I don't recall ever having conditions in which there would be a
significant difference between topcoats. If the tracks are glazing, it's
generally warm(ish) and high humidity, and around here (central NY), the
pure fluoro topcoat works well both in and out of the tracks. By far, it's
the kick wax that makes the significant difference (and can be tricky to get
right).

Is there one "best" pure fluro topcoat that is more
predictable in the track?

Not in my experience; I use Solda or Toko. Both give fast skis.

Todd

Waxing Too Warm?? Scott Nordic Skiing 13 December 9th 05 10:36 AM
warm gloves: opinions on Swany sx-15 x-over glove? Monique Y. Mudama Alpine Skiing (moderated) 87 December 15th 04 03:25 AM
Winter Jacket J. VerSchave Snowboarding 32 November 20th 04 02:42 AM
Skiing at -12F Classic is the Way to Go! Jay Tegeder Nordic Skiing 23 February 2nd 04 11:07 AM
Questions about waxing SebB Nordic Skiing 10 December 8th 03 05:47 PM