Anyone skied the 'laub' at Engelberg?

Old February 7th 05, 06:06 PM
funkraum

Ace wrote:
[...]
Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next
weekend.

[...]

Admirers of Conan-Doyle ?

Old February 8th 05, 09:32 AM
Ace

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:06:44 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

Ace wrote:

[...]
Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next
weekend.

[...]

Admirers of Conan-Doyle ?

Something like that, I believe. Remind me of the connection, will you,
as the only thing I was aware of was the fight at the Reichenbach
falls, which is miles away.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 8th 05, 01:51 PM
funkraum

Ace wrote:
wrote:
Ace wrote:

[...]
Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next
weekend.

[...]

Admirers of Conan-Doyle ?

Something like that, I believe. Remind me of the connection, will you,
as the only thing I was aware of was the fight at the Reichenbach
falls, which is miles away.

There are several Reichenbach (one further back down the valley from
the Jungfrau region where the Fritschi factory is located).

The Reichenbachfall is

http://www.reichenbachfall.ch/

Other information is at

http://www.sherlockholmes.ch/main.html

http://www.sherlock-holmes.org.uk/th...gen_museum.htm

Holmes is well served on the web in general.

I have never taken 101 Conan-Doyle / Holmes, but bear in mind that
followers of Sherlock Holmes display a zealotry which matches that of
the religious and the scale of the their disappointment will be
commensurate with the heights of their zeal.

If they wish to approach the falls I would strongly suggest the
following:

Obtain the 1:25,000 of the area. Proceed up the left hand side (east)
side of the falls via the footpath, preferably in darkness or during a
rainstorm, or both. This means that their appreciation of place will
not be interrupted by the stupid rack railway and the rubber-necking
tourists which it contains, and the imagination can be left free to
populate the darkness with the characters and events of those times.

The railway ascends the right-hand side of the falls and from its
head, you can look over the gorge to the place where Holmes and
Moriarty struggle. The place from which they fall is marked with a
bronze plaque affixed to the rockface. When you ascend the left hand
side of the falls on foot, you reach this place.

In darkness, when ascending, stay clear of the edge of the track as it
is collapsing. It is also a good idea to stop at the end of the track,
which appears suddenly, otherwise you join Homes and Moriarty.

To reach the start of the footpath which ascends the left hand side,
from Meiringen find the station for rack railway, which is east of the
town and square.

Now travel east again from the station, rejoining the same road, and a
short distance along the road until you see a road to your right
disappearing between some buildings and heading up the mountain. The
road switchbacks up the mountain side and the footpath crosses the
fields to cut-off the bends. There are signposts to help you.

Old February 14th 05, 06:10 PM
funkraum

Ace wrote:
[...]
Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next

[...]
[1] OK, so now I've worked out why touring boots aren't recommended
for use with normal alpine bindings, OK?

Explain this one to me. How do your sprain your ankle without breaking
the boot ?

Old February 14th 05, 07:38 PM
Sue

In message , funkraum
writes
Ace wrote:

[...]
Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next

[...]
[1] OK, so now I've worked out why touring boots aren't recommended
for use with normal alpine bindings, OK?

Explain this one to me. How do your sprain your ankle without breaking
the boot ?

Possibly by twisting it. A friend sprained her ankle when
rollerblading, which should be just as impossible.

--
Sue ];(
Old February 14th 05, 08:49 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd funkraum :
Explain this one to me. How do your sprain your ankle without breaking
the boot ?

I managed to chip my anklebone without breaking my boot. I was lucky; it was
my last descent of my last day of skiing for that holiday.

That was many years ago though, and with boots to match. Hmm.. thinking..
1988 I think.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old February 15th 05, 09:00 AM
Ace

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:10:36 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

Ace wrote:

[...]
Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next

[...]
[1] OK, so now I've worked out why touring boots aren't recommended
for use with normal alpine bindings, OK?

Explain this one to me. How do your sprain your ankle without breaking
the boot ?

As Sue suggests, by twisting it. In this instance it was all my own
fault - having bought touring boots (Scarpa Denali TT) And used them
for about ten days with my Alpine bindings, I realised that a lot of
play had developed, presumably as a result of the rubber boot sole
compressing onto the Anti Friction doodah. So a few turns of the screw
pushed the fron biding down a bit and it was OK, but when I got home I
thought I'd set them up 'properly'.

In practise, I'd adjusted the toe binding such that it put a lot of
pressure on the boot sole, which was fine as far a ensuring no
unwanted movement, but I didn't think to do a sideways release test.
D'oh.

So when sking some breakable crust at my usual reckless pace[1] and
getting it slightly wrong, which would normally result in nothing
worse than feeling stupid, it felt like someone was unscrewing my
foot. I think that I was actually very lucky not to break anything.

[1] This is a joke, OK?
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 16th 05, 12:36 PM
Mike Clark

In message
Ace wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:10:36 +0000, funkraum
wrote:

Ace wrote:

[...]
[...]

Yep, using touring boots with ordinairy bindings is a bad idea, because
the vibram sole on the Denali tends not to allow a proper sideways,
twisting release. Proper touring bindings such as the Fritschi Diamir,
and Freeride, have a twisting plate under where the boot sole sits.

If you're going to routinely use touring boots I'd get Fritschi bindings
put on all of your skis. At present I have separate skis and boots for
touring and for lift-assisted downhill skiing so I need to make a
decision as to which set to take with me.

--
o/ \\ // || ,_ o Mike Clark, "An antibody engineer who also
\__,\\ // __o || / /\, likes the mountains"
Old February 16th 05, 02:24 PM
Ace

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:36:19 GMT, Mike Clark wrote:

In message
Ace wrote:

As Sue suggests, by twisting it. In this instance it was all my own
fault - having bought touring boots (Scarpa Denali TT) And used them
for about ten days with my Alpine bindings,

snip sprained ankle

Yep, using touring boots with ordinairy bindings is a bad idea, because
the vibram sole on the Denali tends not to allow a proper sideways,
twisting release. Proper touring bindings such as the Fritschi Diamir,
and Freeride, have a twisting plate under where the boot sole sits.

I went out and got them fitted first thing the next morning. Miss a
day's skiing just 'cos I couldn't walk properly? Naah, not me.

If you're going to routinely use touring boots I'd get Fritschi bindings
put on all of your skis. At present I have separate skis and boots for
touring and for lift-assisted downhill skiing so I need to make a
decision as to which set to take with me.

Fortunately, I nearly always have only one pair of skis on the go -
currently last year's Pocket Rocket, which is a splendid all-round ski
and lightweight enough to not be a pain for touring. Must get some
skins and give them a proper try some time...

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)