Fed up with busted & expensive stuff

Old September 4th 03, 01:22 PM
Bob Larson

Default Fed up with busted & expensive stuff

Sounds like you get pretty good wheel wear.

Yeah, I'd say rollerskiing is really pretty cheap!

Based on 100 hours which is about 1 year for me,
$45 ferrules (roughly 3 sets)
$0 poles (no extra pole breakage yet, just using my spares)
$30 straps
$50 - $100 boots (wear)
$50 wheels (current Marwe 100s, too soon to tell for sure)
$50 rollerski replacement (they have to go sooner or later)
$35 gloves (ok, I'm a wus, plus $5 for blister tape)

That's total equipment cost, including the initial cost spread over the
life of the equipment. So somewhere in the $275 +/- $50 range
per year (or per 100 hours).

Compare to running, roughly $100 worth of shoe for every 50 hours.
So even running isn't a whole lot cheaper, for me, at roughly
$200 per 100 hours.

"Nathan Schultz" wrote in message . net...
...or just get a good set of equipment to begin with.

Rolettos? When did they stop making those things? 1985?

I have probably put in 600 hours of rollerskiing on two pairs of Elpex
rollerskis over the last four years. Had to replace the wheels on my
skaters once, and still have a ton of wheel left. Classics are still
running well with nice round wheels.

-Nathan

Old September 4th 03, 02:14 PM
Jeff Potter

George Cleveland wrote:

I always thought they should have a atlatl season on deer. That would seperate
the cave men from the cave boys!

The atlatl scene is heating up these days. They now have leagues and
championships, etc., using...expensive carbon equipment. Sigh.

Michigan is a leader in this, as in all gung-ho crazed hobbies of passion.

It's pretty fun, though. I started doing it in mid-70's as a teen. You can throw
a spear pretty hard with an atlatl (or 'throwing stick' to answer the
inevitables---it's prehistoric stuff).

I saw the Mich. Assoc. booth at a sport show I was at last year. I abandoned my
booth part of the day as a result. After a couple throws I was about as good as,
well, the dudes there said I should go to the state meet. I was grouping nicely
on the paperplate at 20 yds. The host guy, tho, was the current champ and he was
twice as good---well, six inch group compared to my 12". He sensed the pressure,
tho. His technique was very cool and snappy, very cool.

It was neat seeing that gang doing flint knapping as well.

I guess there's an annual Primitive Week up at Bois Blanc next to Mackinaw Island
every year about now. Probably VERY FUN.

---I'm sure I can convert my busted Osage selfbow into a supersweet atlatl: what
savings! ...and glamor!

Still, my pile of maple saplings is simpler yet and it seems to me I'm getting
pretty darn good groups with those, too. And they're much heavier, lots of
kinetic energy. My goal is to keep them on the plate at 20 yds and go scare the
atlatl guys sometime.

The ante always goes up.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old September 4th 03, 02:16 PM
Tim Dudley

This is scary. There's an atlatl website:

http://www.atlatl.com/

Tim