Beginner looking for gear

Old November 30th 04, 12:21 AM
Mattimus

Default Beginner looking for gear

Guys,

I'll be asking the same question that all the other newbies around here ask.

What size/type of board should a newbie (never rode before) buy?
I'm looking to buy used, so that I can have my own gear and not worry about
hill rentals, so I can also practice on the local toboggan hill for free.

I'm 5'8" tall. I weigh ~200lbs (and no I'm not a fat *******).
Boot size 10.5.
I'll be doing all (at least for now) my riding in eastern canada (very
little powder, lots of man made junk).
I'm not overly concerned with riding rails or pipes at this point!!

From what I have read, I think I should be looking for a board about 155cm
that's about a medium flex.

Any particular brands to avoid? What type of bindings are the best? Any of
these that I should avoid?

If anyone has any ideas as to my situation please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Old November 30th 04, 12:53 AM
Mike T

I'm 5'8" tall. I weigh ~200lbs (and no I'm not a fat *******).
Boot size 10.5.

-snip-

From what I have read, I think I should be looking for a board about 155cm
that's about a medium flex.

Definitely read the group's FAQ (http://rssfaq.org).

I'll post my advice for beginners since I have yet to do so this season:

First pick out your boots. The 3 most important things in boot selection
are fit, fit, and fit. If your boots fit, chances are you are really going
to enjoy snowboarding, and any other equipmnet issues will be solvable. If
your boots don't fit, your feet are going to hurt and you won't have as much
control and thus won't progress as quickly. Note that boots pack out, and
that boots that are too big are just as bad - if not worse - than boots that
are too small.

Next, find a set of bindings that fits your boots. Chances are your "boots
that fit" will be designed for strap bindings, *based solely on
probability*. If you "boots that fit" are step-ins, make sure they are
current models and that bindings are available to go with them before you
buy them.

Finally, select a board. If you spent more than you had hoped to on boots
and bindings, get a used board. Read the part in the FAQ about width which
is just as important as length and flex.

Anyway, I suspect given your weight and that you're "not a fat *******" a
155 w/ medium flex is going to be too little board for you. I'd start
around 160 in most brands, and something with a little stiffer-than-medium
flex.

Mike T)

Old November 30th 04, 11:27 AM
Switters

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:53:36 GMT, "Mike T"
allegedly wrote:

First pick out your boots. The 3 most important things in boot
selection are fit, fit, and fit.

You know that's in the FAQ now, don't you Mike?

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old November 30th 04, 02:02 PM
Mike T

You know that's in the FAQ now, don't you Mike?

Whoa - I've got to read it again, don't I!!!

Old November 30th 04, 10:06 PM
Waco Paco

Mattimus wrote:

Guys,

I'll be asking the same question that all the other newbies around here ask.

What size/type of board should a newbie (never rode before) buy?
I'm looking to buy used, so that I can have my own gear and not worry about
hill rentals, so I can also practice on the local toboggan hill for free.

I'm 5'8" tall. I weigh ~200lbs (and no I'm not a fat *******).
Boot size 10.5.
I'll be doing all (at least for now) my riding in eastern canada (very
little powder, lots of man made junk).
I'm not overly concerned with riding rails or pipes at this point!!

From what I have read, I think I should be looking for a board about 155cm
that's about a medium flex.

Any particular brands to avoid? What type of bindings are the best? Any of
these that I should avoid?

If anyone has any ideas as to my situation please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Like everything mike says about a boots and bindings i'll say the same.
However, for the board I'd say that a little too soft won't hurt. I'm
not talking about 155cm park boards, but something along 158 free
ride... I'm the same height and just a tad lighter and when I first
upgraded to a stiff park board i had a lot of trouble initiating turns
or getting it to slide sideways. So i think a better starting point
would be high 150s to 162cm max but a beginner freeride board (its
tapered and will be more forgiving on the flex).

The best way to figure it out is to go to your local mountain and try
out boards on demo there. I know at BlueMountain (Collingwood, ON)
there's a demo kiosk where you can demo a board for an hour for free.

When you do get a board, DO NOT, and I emphasize again, DO NOT get one
at a sporting goods department store (SportChek, Sport Mart, National
Sports, are teh major chains in Canada). The only big store where I
would get a board is from Sporting Life because they are actually
knowledgable about the sport. I've seen sales clerks telling people that
the Burton Moto Boot is one of their best boots and that the value is
awesome. DO go to skate shops that carry snowboards and snowboard/ski
shops that actually know what they're doing.

As to what brand of boards to avoid... I've seen abunch... Kemper,
liquid, firefly, etc. THese are made by big companies who do not
necessarily care what snowboarders want, but are only in the field for
teh money. If I was a newbie I'd stick with the snowboard brands that
I've known to be reputable (support Canadian and get an Option)

-stu
Old December 25th 04, 02:14 PM
T-Narg

"Waco Paco" wrote in message
If I was a newbie I'd stick with the snowboard brands that
I've known to be reputable (support Canadian and get an Option)

And what brands do you recommend?

Thanks.