shoulder twist in skating? Swenson versus Alsgard versus

Old December 10th 03, 11:23 AM
Ken Roberts

Default shoulder twist in skating? Swenson versus Alsgard versus

Back in a discussion about shoulder moves in skating, I pointed out that
both Swenson and Alsgard shift their shoulders from side to side in V1
offset, and someone responded that
What you don't see Swenson doing at
all is _twisting_ his body at all.

Actually Carl Swenson twists his shoulders with _much_ vigor in his V1
offset skate technique --
at least in the video clip on JanneG's website:
http://avari182.mt.luth.se/Technic/swenson1.mpg
His repeated big shoulder twist moves fill the whole screen in the close-up
section, and are obviously visible in most of the rest of that video.

I pointed out that Alsgard obviously twists his shoulders in V1, but back
then I just assumed that Swenson must be skating according to the American
"new skate" doctrine of "quiet upper body" and "all motion directed
forward". Finally I went and actually looked carefully . . .

When the fastest American skater Carl Swenson gets into a real World Cup
race, he throws out most of that modern theory, and instead just does what
he feels really works. (much like Alsgard?)

Other World Cup racers show the same pattern: shoulders quietly square with
the direction of travel in V2 skate, but when they switch to V1 offset
skate, their shoulders start twisting obviously toward the next skate-push
leg.

So much for simple theories.

Ken