Faceshot Bowl bummer

Old December 14th 04, 08:16 PM
klaus

Default Faceshot Bowl bummer

Kurt Knisely wrote:
You've been right there lal:

http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/Adviso...eb%2012-10-04/

Figure 8 Hill, whatever. A photo of a guy skiing this line was on the cover of
Ski Rag a while back. I guess the poor guy was skinning up the pass. I'm
always a little spooked above the last set of trees heading up to the pass.

Actually, it was the other side of the pass, headed to Davenport, in
the LCC drainage, not Figure 8. Talked to the patroller that gave him
CPR last night.

-klaus

Old December 14th 04, 08:30 PM
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:
Kurt Knisely wrote:

You've been right there lal:

http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/Adviso...eb%2012-10-04/

Figure 8 Hill, whatever. A photo of a guy skiing this line was on the cover of
Ski Rag a while back. I guess the poor guy was skinning up the pass. I'm
always a little spooked above the last set of trees heading up to the pass.

Actually, it was the other side of the pass, headed to Davenport, in
the LCC drainage, not Figure 8. Talked to the patroller that gave him
CPR last night.

Didn't we skin up this picture (OK, you know what I mean) on the right,
unslid side where the passer-by is standing, pausing near the treeline
to regroup? Dam backcountry - someone should put up traffic signs so a
man could know where he is! And some billboards, so a man could know the
right beer to carry in his pack.

Old December 14th 04, 08:52 PM
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:
Didn't we skin up this picture (OK, you know what I mean) on the right,
unslid side where the passer-by is standing, pausing near the treeline
to regroup? Dam backcountry - someone should put up traffic signs so a
man could know where he is! And some billboards, so a man could know the
right beer to carry in his pack.

Yup. After we bailed from the group, just about where we hit the Alta
Cat Skiing track., just to the west side of Twin Lakes Pass. You, Tom,
and I had left the group and were just heading right after the
pass. The victim had headed out onto the slope and was freaked and
truned around to come back when the slide happened. I guess his
partner saw some gear and went to that spot and then found out it had
been stripped from his buddy. That put him below the victim and he had
to go back up for the beacon search. Bummer. Remember, turn your
beacon onto receive *before* heading down to the gear. What's weird is
this guy died being buried for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, the snowmobiler
in Farmington "Flats" was buried for *twenty* minutes and lived. The
patroller I talked to said he suspected that the snow was so dense
and compacted that the Twin Lakes Pass victim could not expand his
chest to breath. He said there was no visible trauma and the victim
likely died of asphyxiation.

An interesting statistic is that the deaths ranged in age from early
twenties to late fifties. The snowshoers were training for
Shishapangma. Stay home, stay alive.

-klaus

Old December 16th 04, 02:50 PM
klaus

Kurt Knisely wrote:

Actually, it was the other side of the pass, headed to Davenport, in
the LCC drainage, not Figure 8. Talked to the patroller that gave him
CPR last night.

You need to look at the pics. E. side of Twin Lakes Pass, BCC drainage.

Yes, there is definitely a slide there. Have you looked on the other
side?

-klaus