Skiing in PA

Old December 17th 04, 01:28 AM
Shabu

Default Skiing in PA

i will be in Delaware for 6 days over christmas and we have been
thinking of going skiing somewhere in Pennsylvania. I have only heard
of the Pocono's. Is that the better place to go boarding/skiing? If
pocono's is the place then which mountain would you recommend.

My wife is a beginner skier and i am an intermediate-advanced
snowboarder. What mountain in Pocono will be our best bet for a one day
trip from Wilmington, DE?

Thanks,
Shoaib

Old December 17th 04, 02:03 AM
miles

Shabu wrote:
i will be in Delaware for 6 days over christmas and we have been
thinking of going skiing somewhere in Pennsylvania. I have only heard
of the Pocono's. Is that the better place to go boarding/skiing? If
pocono's is the place then which mountain would you recommend.

My wife is a beginner skier and i am an intermediate-advanced
snowboarder. What mountain in Pocono will be our best bet for a one day
trip from Wilmington, DE?

Either Elk Mountain or Blue Mountain. PA is not known for large
mountains but these two areas both have about 1000' verticle. Enough
for some decent cruising runs. All other PA ski areas are 800' or less.
They are both within a 2 hour drive or so.
Old December 21st 04, 12:33 PM
Brian Sniatkowski

Elk Mtn is probably your best bet in the area. Stay away from the other
Pocono areas. Incredibly crowded.

Old December 21st 04, 04:16 PM
Shabu

Has anyone been to Elk recently? The website is showing they have like
7 runs open. Is it still nice to go this time of the year. I am talking
around Dec 27 etc.

Old December 21st 04, 07:05 PM
Walt

Shabu wrote:
i will be in Delaware for 6 days over christmas and we have been
thinking of going skiing somewhere in Pennsylvania. I have only heard
of the Pocono's. Is that the better place to go boarding/skiing? If
pocono's is the place then which mountain would you recommend.

The Poconos are the closest hills, although there are a couple in the
Alleghenies within striking distance for a day trip e.g. Roundtop,
Liberty. But if you're going to spend a couple hours driving, it seems
to make sense to spend that time driving *north*.

My wife is a beginner skier and i am an intermediate-advanced
snowboarder. What mountain in Pocono will be our best bet for a one day
trip from Wilmington, DE?

I hail from the Diamond State, come back for XMas every year to visit
the family and get a day or two on the slopes while I'm there. Over
the years, I've been to Blue, Camelback, Spring Mt., and Jack Frost. Of
the four, JF is the least crowded and has the best snow (further north,
higher elevation, no night skiing) Unfortunately, it's on the flat
side, although this may actually be good thing for your GF.

As for Elk, Blue and Camelback: Elk is a solid three hour drive each
way from Wilmington. I've heard good things about it but I've never
been. If you feel like driving that far, go for it.

Closer to Wilmington, Blue Mt. has a fair amount of vertical, but being
so close to Philly it gets stupid crowded XMas week. The few green
slopes that they have are especially crowded. I don't think you can
swing a dead cat on the Burma Road without whacking someone. Likewise
Camelback, with the added annoyance of being close to North Jersey too.
If you don't mind long lines, these may be a good choice. If you don't
like standing in lines, go somewhere else.

And Spring Mt. is just plain small. I went there one year when it was
the only place open. If you're really adverse to driving it's
definitely the closest. Otherwise, not much else to recommend it.

Anyway, here's a site that lists your options ordered by driving distances:
http://www.skidweeb.com/index.cgi?s=drive&v=all&z=19809

Here's a site that plots them on a map:
http://www.dcski.com/resorts/

Reviews at www.goski.com and www-ski-guide.com

Surfs up, dude!

Good luck.

--
//-Walt
//
Old December 28th 04, 03:22 PM
Chuck

Walt wrote:
Shabu wrote:

[...]

And don't forget about Bear Creek. It's only about 2hrs from Wilmington
and also less crowded than Blue. Like Spring Mt it's small but much has
more vertical and skiable acreage.

Blue is probably closer to 3 hrs away. I prefer Blue and if you time it
right though you can avoid crowds. They're usually worst between 10am
and 3pm. They have a very long slow cruiser that your GF may enjoy
called Paradise.

Park at the valley lodge. The rental and ticket lines are faster and you
can get right onto the Comet quad that takes you to the top of Paradise.

Fancy seeing you here Walt. :-) We're probably pretty close right about
now. I took a new job in Wilmington back in September.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old January 3rd 05, 10:31 PM
Walt

Chuck wrote:
Walt wrote:

Fancy seeing you here Walt. :-) We're probably pretty close right about
now. I took a new job in Wilmington back in September.

Well, at the time you posted this I was at the Brandywine zoo, in the
pen with the pygmy goats. How close was that? You don't work for the
zoo by any chance, do you?

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 4th 05, 01:51 PM
Chuck

Walt wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Walt wrote:

Fancy seeing you here Walt. :-) We're probably pretty close right
about now. I took a new job in Wilmington back in September.

Well, at the time you posted this I was at the Brandywine zoo, in the
pen with the pygmy goats. How close was that? You don't work for the
zoo by any chance, do you?

No I don't work for the zoo but I was less than 5 minutes away.
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Old January 11th 05, 09:15 PM
L H

1/11/05: Writing from No NJ re Pa Ski Trip.
Suggest you and wife make a two day, 1 night ski trip to Elk Mountain
PA.
You will NOT forget it !

A great mtn to learn how to ski/board from excellent instructors who
want very much to help YOU. Both Double Diamond and Beginner Slopes
with a great staff, easy to-get-to&from parking, ski shop, cafeteria,
huge fireplace lounge & bar, reasonable pricing. (Note: If 70+ Club
Member you ski FREE every day.) Read Elk URL below.
Elk Mountain Ski Resort - Pennsylvania's Best!
Address:http://www.elkskier.com/ Changed:11:43 AM on Friday, December
17, 2004
---------
Suggest you plan a night's stay at the Wiffy Bogg Farm B&B about a mile
from Elk Entrance. Great country atmosphere with superb breakfasts.

You will NOT forget it ! See their URL below.
Wiffy Bog Farm B&B Lodging and Accommodations near Elk Mountain Ski
Resort at Elk Mtn PA on Rte 106 West Clifford Pennsylvania
Address:http://www.wiffybogfarm.com/history.html Changed:2:30 PM on
Tuesday, December 23, 2004

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
Returning to skiing Dancebert Alpine Skiing 31 October 18th 04 04:15 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM