snow tires, sorry OT

Old November 25th 03, 12:08 AM
32 degrees

Default snow tires, sorry OT

Sorry to post this off topic item....

any quick advice on some good snow tires?

We have a Chevy lumina van (front wheel drive obviously)...
and it is in need of some new tires and I may as well go all the way and get
SNOW tires for the winter...

any advice? Do I need 4? or just the two front?

thanks !
JK

Old November 25th 03, 12:55 AM
Scott Elliot

Four snow tires are only important if you don't want your rear end to slide
out on curves or you want to stop before you hit something.

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/

Old November 25th 03, 12:59 AM
Daniel Vargo

Snow tires come in very handy and would put them on all four wheels. An
easy way to do this is to get inexpensive rims and mount the tires on
them instead of changing the tires off the rims each year. Tried that
once, only to have the tires ruined. I have ordered tires from Tire
Rack on line (tirerack.com). They were very helpful, had the best
prices and the largest selection. Rims + tires for a 4-runner, balanced
and mounted for less than $600, including shipping. That was $100
better than any dealer in SLC. Was so impressed, ordered for my wife's
car. I would call them on the phone after viewing their website, as
they can direct you to the best tire for your conditions. hope this
helps.

Dan Vargo
SLC, UT

Old November 25th 03, 02:25 AM
J999w

Four tires most definitely. Google the groups, there have been TONS of posts on
the subject. Check eBay, you may find a set for your car fairly cheap.

jw
milwaukee
Old November 25th 03, 07:49 AM
Terje Mathisen

32 degrees wrote:

Sorry to post this off topic item....

any quick advice on some good snow tires?

We have a Chevy lumina van (front wheel drive obviously)...
and it is in need of some new tires and I may as well go all the way and get
SNOW tires for the winter...

any advice? Do I need 4? or just the two front?

Huh?

Do you have to ask?

If you got caught driving in wintertime here in Norway with only two
winter tires, you would have to walk home, and they would cut off your
license plates.

It would cost you up to $400 just to get those plates back, after having
mounted proper tires all around.

More seriously, I understand why you're asking, since the tire shop in
Utah asked me exactly the same question when we lived there and wanted
proper tires. :-(

Terje

--
-

Old November 25th 03, 11:10 AM
Joe Ricci

"32 degrees" wrote in message ...
Sorry to post this off topic item....

any quick advice on some good snow tires?

We have a Chevy lumina van (front wheel drive obviously)...
and it is in need of some new tires and I may as well go all the way and get
SNOW tires for the winter...

any advice? Do I need 4? or just the two front?

thanks !
JK

You should do 4 snow tires- you HAVE to do four if you have anti-lock
brakes.
Tire Rack is a good source for steel wheels and snow tires, although
they cannot offer you the best snow tires(in my opinion),which are
Nokian snow tires. There are a few different options based on you
needs. Any snow tire is better than all seasons, but Nokians do the
best job of keeping you between the lines. I do happen to do auto
repair and sell tires for a living. If you are interested in talking-
please e-mail me direct and I would be glad to give you my input.

Joe Ricci
Old November 25th 03, 12:57 PM
Dirk

"32 degrees" wrote in message
Sorry to post this off topic item....

For the record, I don't think this is the least bit off topic.

Old November 25th 03, 12:59 PM
Onno Oerlemans

I just put 4 winter tires, and new steel rims, on my Passat. The
'all-season' Michelins have never worked well in snow, and after only
25,000 miles are down to about a quarter of their tread anyway. I'm
now waiting for a blizzard to test out the new tires! (Oh yeah, and to
ski!).

I got mine on-online at Discount Tire Direct, which had better prices,
and free shipping. They arrived in three days. Amazing.

Onno

Old November 25th 03, 01:56 PM

In article , 32 degrees wrote:
any quick advice on some good snow tires?

Set of 4, Michelin Arctic Alpin, mounted on steel wheels, from
TireRack. I've ordered two sets from them (one for each car) and have
been happy both times.

I have no real reason to think that the Michelins are any better or
worse than Blizzaks, Nokians, etc. The bottom line is that they are
way better than any all-season tire when the snow flies.

There are times you can start thinking snow tires aren't really
necessary ... but then there are times when they pay for themselves
many times over. For example, heading to Cable, morning of the
2001 Birkie, 6 inches of snow on the road. That experience pays for
the snow tires right there.

Cheers,
Brian
Old November 25th 03, 04:58 PM
DJ

" "32 degrees" wrote in message
Sorry to post this off topic item....

any quick advice on some good snow tires?

I've heard a lot of good things from friends in the past couple of years
about Blizzaks (sp?). These are folks who have a lifetime of experience on
ice and snow and grew up with studded snow tires. These folks have been
telling me Blizzaks are a good substitute for studded tires on ice. My
understanding is that they are a soft rubber that grips well on ice, but
they also wear faster. From my perspective, this is a reasonable thing
because studs (if you use them) don't last forever either. I haven't tried
them; I'm still on the studded Nokians that came with my car when I bought
it (which I'm very happy with, but then again, I've been generally happy
with other good quality studded snow tires). We'll probably try Blizzak or
similar when they need replacement.

Agree with all others who advise you to get 4, not 2 - that's not debatable,
imho.

DJ

Heavy Snow Warning AstroPax Snowboarding 0 April 18th 04 12:11 AM
Snow Conditions in Vald'Isere Rob White European Ski Resorts 2 December 18th 03 08:56 AM
SNOW ... ROAD TRIP ! J999w Nordic Skiing 3 November 14th 03 03:25 PM
snow no-one European Ski Resorts 0 October 29th 03 07:27 PM
Whistler snow! VIP Mountain Holidays North American Ski Resorts 0 September 16th 03 03:51 PM