Snow tires?

Old November 28th 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Default Snow tires?

Richard Henry wrote:
On Nov 28, 10:03 am, "Bob F" wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
On Nov 28, 7:55 am, VtSkier wrote:
You might also note that the signs they post
in the Sierra's when a storm is expected is that
you must have chains OR 4 wheel drive. It does
not specify snow tires.
They can't put all those words on the sign. The longer notice given
on the Cal Trans website, phone and radio reports always says "four-
wheel drive with snow tires on all four wheels". When I had my Jeep,
the law and the CHP gatekeepers always required that we carry chains
anyway. A friend got a ticket for not having them once on his 4WD
pickup-camper, and they made him turn around and go down as well.

I can remember some fellow instructors being late and annoyed when the
Waspington State Patrol turned them around because they didn't have chains to
put on their 4WD. If the officer tells you to chain up your 4WD, that's the law.

If they ever told I needed chains on a 4WD, I wouldn't want to drive
on that road.

Couple of comments on tires and electronic systems

Tires work best in the temp range they are designed to work in, a tire
with a wide range of ability's all season make compromises in the
working ability of the tire. A tire like a snow tire will give you the
best possible control in the conditions.

Traction control can be done by reducing the engine firing dropping out
cylinders from firing this reduces wheelspin with out putting dynamic
forces on the vehicle by using brakes to stop wheelspin.

I know the problems with wheel speed sensors and most of the systems are
dependent on WS to control ABS or traction control or driver assist
electronics, where some of the more high tech systems use yaw and pitch
along with accelerometers and pressure sensors & WS to keep vehicle
pointed the way the factory wants.

Also think there will be more incidents like the runaway toyotas that
lead toward deep in the electronic circuitry problems.
Old November 28th 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

NO All Season Radials may be used!

http://www.icerace.com/
Old November 29th 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Nov 28, 12:03*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 10:57:53 -0800 (PST), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

Brain Fried Bob Thompson endorses Cooper Tires and recommends them to
Dick Gozinya on a public forum.
If I worked for Cooper, I'd be seriously embarassed.

You don't have a job, dumbass. If you worked for anybody, THEY would
be seriously embarrassed.

I bet Horvath rides on Cooper. Cellmate in the clink, eh, Horvie?
Old November 29th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Nov 28, 12:47*pm, VtSkier wrote:
On 11/28/2010 02:59 PM, wrote:

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:54:41 -0800 (PST),
wrote this crap:

On Nov 27, 10:42 am, Dick *wrote:
New Acura MDX, and I need to buy snows...any recommendations??

I drive a truck so I don't know if they're appropriate for a vehicle
like yours. But for years I've bought Cooper Tires. I rotate them
every other oil change and get 50K plus. I had them on the pigovan and
two trucks since. They make a pretty wide range from 4 season to HD
mud and snow.

When my tires wear out I just buy a new van. *A van is the only
vehicle a skier should consider because you can keep your skis inside,
clean and dry while driving to the ski resort.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. *Repeal the nightmares.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

If you had used Turtle Wax on your skis, they would be clean
and dry on a roof rack while driving to the resort.- Hide quoted text -

This lying, stalking coward has me killfiled, but not Horvath.
Despite the sick jokes about raping kids, despite the gross
defamations, despite the death threats.
Says all anyone needs to know about Richard Walsh.
Old November 29th 10, 02:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

pigo wrote:
On Nov 28, 2:50 pm, Richard Henry wrote:

If they ever told I needed chains on a 4WD, I wouldn't want to drive
on that road.

It's not all that uncommon for LCC to be chains OR 4x4. Sometimes
chains AND 4x4.

Going up to Mt Baker once with chains on my RWD van, a 4WD ahead of me couldn't
stay on the road. He kept sliding over against the bank on the side. I had no
trouble.

Old November 29th 10, 07:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

On 29/11/2010 04:56, Bob F wrote:
pigo wrote:
On Nov 28, 2:50 pm, Richard wrote:

If they ever told I needed chains on a 4WD, I wouldn't want to drive
on that road.

It's not all that uncommon for LCC to be chains OR 4x4. Sometimes
chains AND 4x4.

Going up to Mt Baker once with chains on my RWD van, a 4WD ahead of me couldn't
stay on the road. He kept sliding over against the bank on the side. I had no
trouble.

I once made it up to Courchevel in heavy snow in a rented Renault Espace
without chains (though I had them in the back), overtaking several
vehicles en route, some with chains on. A lot of it is down to
experience and technique and some luck in encountering moving
obstructions where they can be passed
Old November 29th 10, 12:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

On 28/11/2010 23:49, downhill wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
On Nov 28, 10:03 am, "Bob F" wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

Turns out my 2002 Outback H6 3.0 has both of these:

VTD AWD (variable torque distribution). New in 2001, VTD transfers
powers front to back electronically. The power split is 45/55 front/rear
and the rear wheel bias is designed for a more luxury car feel as
opposed to the front bias of the Active AWD system. Usually 45/55 front
to back split but that varies according to wheel slippage.

VDC system is the top of the line system used on certain models and is
also the name of an Outback Limited model. New is 2001. VDC is Vehicle
Dynamics Control

VDC is composed of 2 main systems: VTD plus VDC full time 4 wheel
traction and engine management.
VDC is traction control that senses vehicle direction and uses brake,
throttle and engine management to help maintain stability.
The components of the VDC system a
all wheel drive using the VTD system (see above).
When the wheels are spinning without traction or the vehicle is not
going in the direction it is being steered, the VDC system kicks in.
Direction: uses brakes to slow down wheels to reduce spin and help
control vehicle direction.
Skidding: yaw and steering wheel sensors use brakes to slow down
spinning wheels and re-direct power to the wheel(s) with the best
traction to re-gain control.
Engine power use engine output to slow spinning by reducing spark to
cylinders to cut back power and help re-gain control.

Who knew ?
Old November 29th 10, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

BrritSki wrote:

[...]

Some of us do.
You can picture the typical driver it NO GO "more gas" more wheelspin so
car puts on more brake and driver puts on more gas, the cycle continues
it is like having a discussion with Itchy it goes nowhere.
I am looking at few models of subaru to run in a ice racing series in
upstate NY, need to figure out the best one and which ecu is hackable.
Old November 29th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 11/29/2010 09:24 AM, downhill wrote:
BrritSki wrote:

[...]

There is a lot of info out there. Try a google on
"subaru dune buggy" to see what the sand drivers
are doing. It might be useful for ice racing.

changing V2 Aero 150 tires [email protected] Nordic Skiing 3 August 20th 06 05:12 PM
If I got Hakki tires, would I be cool? Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 1 March 1st 05 08:24 AM
New V2 Aero Tires Jon Nordic Skiing 0 December 19th 03 02:00 PM
snow tires, sorry OT 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 19 November 26th 03 01:48 PM
Can you put SR 125 tires onto Aero R-skis that came with 150 tires? Chris Cline Nordic Skiing 2 August 12th 03 10:59 PM