Bent slalom ski -is it an issue?

Old February 12th 05, 01:13 AM
F. Plant

Default Bent slalom ski -is it an issue?

I'm looking at a demo pair of soft slalom skis w 1 titanium layer, Fischer
race sc's, and noticed that the shovels have a very slight bend. When you
compress the camber the contact point moves back about 4, maybe 5cm on a 160
cm ski. It doesn't open up significantly, maybe .5mm over the 4-5cm. Shop
'says' they have not seen a lot of use so I'm assuming someones plowed into
a bump a bit too hard. Any thoughts as to whether this is going to be an
issue? Half of me says its not bad enough to be concerned, the other half
wonders if they have had the s**t kicked out of them just a bit too much.
BTW I'm just intending to use them for general skiing.

TIA
F. Plant

Old February 12th 05, 01:51 AM
TexasSkiNut

VtSkier wrote:
F. Plant wrote:
[...]

Ditto. They will bend a little bit more each time you hit a bump. No
way to repair them, either. A shop can put them in a press and they'll
look fine....until you hit your next bump. I had this happen to a pair
of Dynastar SLS Slaloms years ago. Only skied about 35 days on them,
albeit with pretty lousy bump technique. After talking to a couple of
the best ski techs in Steamboat, I ended up leaving them there, after
taking the bindings to put on some new skis. After the initial
diagnosis, I skied on them one more day. By the time I finished for
the day, that contact point had moved back almost a foot.

Old February 12th 05, 05:08 AM
F. Plant

"TexasSkiNut" wrote in message
oups.com...
VtSkier wrote:
F. Plant wrote:
[...]

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I'll have to go back and double check
that its not just a ding on the base that is throwing things off, or maybe
that they added extra base bevel at the tip creating an illusion. What
makes me tempted is its so little -if you were not looking for it you
wouldn't notice it. Even then I had to look twice. It may come down to
price. If I can get them cheap enough they may be worth it eventually as
performance rock skis. :-(

F. Plant

Old February 12th 05, 02:18 PM
lal_truckee

F. Plant wrote:
It may come down to
price. If I can get them cheap enough they may be worth it eventually as
performance rock skis. :-(

For bent skis "Free With Bindings Already Mounted to Fit Your Boot" is
the right price.