Ski fall line to fall line

Old April 19th 05, 10:33 AM
foot2foot

Default Ski fall line to fall line

For those of you who have any skiing left this year, here's
an interesting thing to try. I was introduced to it at a clinic
recently.

The idea is this:

One might typically think, as they move through one turn to the
next, in terms of the end of the turn, then, as one starts the next
turn, of the finish of that next turn. As if the *finish* of the turn is
the big goal, that's what you plan for, what you look for. All the
emphasis in your mind is on the finish, and how you'll start the
next turn, as well as *where* you'll start it.

As such, one might get all tied up in those complexities
of how to finish up, and start the next turn, etc.

But, what if you concentrated mostly on the *middle* of each
turn? Once you're in the middle of one turn, start looking and
planning for the *middle* of the next turn. Plan where the
*middle* of the next turn will be. Then just let all that
stuff in between happen as it might. Ski fall line to fall line.

So, the extension is done by the time you reach the middle of
the turn, and the flexion begins after you've passed the middle
of the turn. Think of the middle of the turn that way. End
extension, begin flexing

One of the leaders was saying that the part of the turn at which
he feels the safest is that part when he is facing straight down the
hill. The very middle of the turn. Hmm. That's the part most
people are the most afraid of.

I don't usually feel all that safe there, but it's like I was
starting to.

I'm still playing around with it, but I really liked the way
the whole thing was working for me as I followed along
with the drills. .

Old April 19th 05, 02:14 PM

foot2foot wrote:

But, what if you concentrated mostly on the *middle* of each
turn? Once you're in the middle of one turn, start looking and
planning for the *middle* of the next turn. Plan where the
*middle* of the next turn will be. Then just let all that
stuff in between happen as it might. Ski fall line to fall line.

When on groomed piste I like to ski from start of the turn to start of
the turn. For the great carving experience one has to start the turn
quite a bit before one hits the fall line. With the old-school skis the
start of the turn happended later and closer to the fall line, or
that's at least how it feels to me personally. Anyway, that's the
critical part of the turn for me, once I've changed to the other edge
and I'm convinced the speed & radius of the turn won't throw me
off-piste, I can ride it all the way back to uphill-direction if
necessary. I just could not do that with the old-school skis..

Old April 19th 05, 06:12 PM
Jeff

foot2foot wrote:
[...]

Could you mail this to me at next winter? Our slopes are pretty green
right now...

Old April 19th 05, 06:41 PM
foot2foot

wrote in message
ups.com...
foot2foot wrote:

[...]

Yes, I see what you're saying.

I haven't tried it in terms of railroad track carving, I'll have to
check it out.

Old April 19th 05, 06:42 PM
foot2foot

"Jeff" wrote in message

Could you mail this to me at next winter? Our slopes are pretty green
right now...

Yes, I think it's time for the warm weather sports now. Thanks
for the reply, it's a pleasure to see your posts.

Old April 19th 05, 07:18 PM
Alan Baker

In article ,
"foot2foot" wrote:

[...]

There's a technique for teaching parallel turns called the "Fan
Progression. The whole idea of the technique is to get people past the
fear of having their skis right in the fall line.

You start with someone pointing their skis for a shallow traverse and
have them turn up into the slope until they stop. Then you gradually
have them start in a steeper and steeper direction (creating a "fan" of
tracks, if each time were to start from the same location) until they
are pointing directly downhill for the first time. Then you have them go
*past* straight downhill and point slightly into the other direction
than the turn they are about to start.

Eventually, they get to a point where they are starting pointing to the
left of the fall line at an ordinary angle before they turn to the
right, through the fall line until they are pointing to the right of the
fall line...

....and then they can start just linking them...

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old April 19th 05, 07:54 PM
lal_truckee

foot2foot wrote:
STUFF CUT

Ever watch a World Cup level slalom skier free skiing, doing warmup
runs? It's a revelation and a treat.
Old April 20th 05, 12:06 AM
foot2foot

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
. ..
foot2foot wrote:
STUFF CUT

Ever watch a World Cup level slalom skier free skiing, doing warmup runs?
It's a revelation and a treat.

And those would be?

Old April 20th 05, 01:36 AM
pigo

"Phlubarb" [email protected] wrote in message
news:cGhhdHBoaWw=.b15a33bbdaa30ccc85ef240902d3c485 @1113959909.nulluser.com...
foot2foot wrote:

snip

I don't want to be rude but if I wanted to get my underwear all
balled up in technique, I'd take
up golf. I hate to tell you this but if people had to think about
every movement they make,
they'd never get anywhere. Putting in the time is what makes one
better - with an occasional
suggestion. Skiing behind someone better than you is also
effective. It's amazing what you
can pick up.

Progress can only be made when one is relaxed - all these infinite
number of pointers do is
tense somebody up.

That's all true but we can be thankful that at least he's not just
making up ludicrous bull**** like youngloon. It's beyond spastic.

Old April 20th 05, 02:20 AM
ant

Phlubarb wrote:
foot2foot wrote:

snip

I don't want to be rude but if I wanted to get my underwear all
balled up in technique, I'd take up golf.

Of to Coventry with you, and he's notifying the police too.

ant