Best Ski bag - Dakine Concourse Double?

Old January 17th 06, 07:33 PM

Gary S. wrote:
On 28 Dec 2005 19:45:39 -0800, "TexasSkiNut" wrote:
I've met two different people who were both hassled by airline clerks
for having clothes in their ski bag. One was able to talk his way out

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the standard advice to contact your
airline for clarification will probably only yield a recitation of
their posted regulations. I was trip leader for some of our ski club
trips and tried in vain to get any of the airlines to confirm that
using clothes as padding was acceptable, even though they all admitted
they had allowed it in the past. It basically boils down to what kind
of day the agent checking you in has had and how desperate the airline
is for money.

There may be times where having a printed copy of that airline's
luggage policies with you would be helpful, taken from their own
website.

The way you approach the clerk will matter very much. Yelling and
screaming and being obnoxious is likely to get every possible extra
charge added on.
Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

My problem was that the posted regulations stated that ski bags were
for "skiing equipment" only. Accepted practice at most airlines at
that time was to allow clothes, etc., but some were just starting to
charge extra. What I was looking for was confirmation that clothes
would be allowed. None of the airlines were willing to say they'd
allow it, although we lucked out and didn't have any problems. They
seem a little more lenient when there's a group of 30-40 checking in at
one time. Only problems we had were one woman got called back because
her ski boots were somehow identified as "possible explosives" by the
screeners, and another idjit tried to check a hanging bag with no tag
on it other than the one put on by the airline. It was slick nylon and
they tried to just stick the tag on it. He got it back about a week
after we returned.