Where to be a ski bum?

Old September 14th 04, 03:06 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
uglymoney wrote:

What is your profession?

He's cornered the market in Cockroach Animation. The #2 Studio right behind
Pixar. He's snagged 35 ex-Pixar employees and climbing. The Roach Approach
keeps him skiing the Jackson Hole back country.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old September 14th 04, 03:07 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
FHemmer209 wrote:

Wannabe ski bum.

Wait til the residuals come in from the Roach Approach!
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old September 14th 04, 03:13 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
802.11n wrote:
I'm going to have to find a job in Jackson, It is too difficult for a
U.S citizen to work in Canada, so I'm looking for the best place in
U.S.. I'm going to be a working ski bum, if there's suck a thing. I'm
heading up there the end of October to look for that trailer.
Thanks for advice.

It's a Winnebago, parked behind the Teton Rock Gym. All the world class
athletes in Jackson Hole hang out at the Gym. It's the most professional
source of first hand snow observations all season long. Hell, Newcomb's
dad founded the American Avalanche Institute. I can't wait for 22 December.
That's when *full on* climbing season starts in the Tetons. And the descents
are magnificent!
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old September 14th 04, 04:27 AM
The Real Bev

Cheers, Bev
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really
embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen
an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a
lot more careful about what they say if they had. -- Linus Torvalds
Old September 14th 04, 04:36 AM
The Real Bev

Jeff Davis wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

Yeah, whatever happened to Whatshisname?

"You're so vain I bet you think this post is about you..."

I got back from Denali the end of June and climbed out the season for
Exum Mountain Guides. I'm heading for Park City the weekend after next
to party with some climbing buddies I spent time with in Big Cottonwood a
few weeks ago. We got a 51 year old guy who's lost 50 lbs in the last 6
months up the Middle Teton Labor Day Weekend in ****ty, icy, conditions.
What ever happened to you?

The previous empty post is proof that McLuhan was right: The medium is
the message.

Same old same old. Crappy hot weather with unseasonal humidity, sick
relatives, and the L.A. County Fair where we got to see an elephant
peeing, crapping (impressive quantities of both) and being washed. For
$35 they'll attach a bungee harness, haul you 100 feet into the air and
let you jump. You fall maybe 50 feet. Some people have more money than
brains. Is a 'blooming onion' REALLY worth $6?

Old September 19th 04, 05:27 PM
LUK4WIND

Lots of resorts here seem to employ lots of Australians,

They can work in Canada, because they are from a commonwealth country. US
citizens can not work there without a visa and the exchange rate makes it more
profitable to work in the US.

The US resorts hire Australians too , especially in Mammoth and Tahoe.
Because once they are here on a US work visa they are indentured servants.
They can't complain, can't leave and if they complain about pay or work
conditions they are fired and kicked out of the country. Any U.S. kid that gets
treated like **** would pack up, hop in their car and drive home. This allows
for poor treatment of employees and results in lower pay for all mountain
resort employees. The administration also uses such a large number of
Australian employees to help keep unionization away.
Old September 27th 04, 09:02 PM
Chris OCallaghan

80211,

I've been skiing since 1967. Seen alot, but never took a season to
stay put somewhere. Of all the ski areas I've sampled, Europe
outclasses US resorts in every respect except snow. If you can stand a
winter of only occassional powder, but endless night life, super
challenging terrain, friedly people (and lots of them -- no need to
bring your own amusements), being considered an adult if you're 18 or
over, then I heartily recommend a season in St. Anton, Arlsberg,
Austria. A little extra effort will be required to get a visa if you
want to work. But it will be an experience you'll never forget.
Old September 27th 04, 11:50 PM
AstroPax

On 27 Sep 2004 14:02:38 -0700, (Chris
OCallaghan) wrote: