Is Ever Going To Stop Snowing?

Old December 10th 08, 10:29 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake[_4_]

Default Is Ever Going To Stop Snowing?

Next Sunday I will be flying into Turin and taking a bus to SerreChevalier.

The route I assume they will take is up the Autostrada for a while then turn off
through Oulx (some buses go to Sauze D'Oulx), Cessana (ski lifts beside the road
here, but some buses turn up towards San Sicario and Sestrierre). My bus will
go the other direction along the 'Italien Job' road. Through Claviere (ski
lifts and pistes beside the road here). Into France through Montgenevre (ski
lift and pistes on both side of the road here). Into Briancon and onward to
Chantmerle where I get off the bus.

Now there is going to be around 50cm of snow this weekend (mostly on Sunday).
Will the bus get through or will it end up balanced just like in the film?

Transport aside snow conditions in the Southern Alps are going to be Superb
(provided it stops snowing) next week. Pity I'm not going to Isola2000, I have
always considered it a bit of a risk snow wise but .....
Old December 10th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

"Ian Blake" wrote in message

[...]

High trunk routes like the one over Montgenèvre are prioritised for snow
clearance, like that accessing Serre Che from the opposite direction (i.e.
from Grenoble, over the Col du Lauteret). There are no guarantees, of
course, but the bus companies do rely on their ability to make the transfers
when they have most of their trade, in winter. So the odds are in your
favour.

Looks like you're going to have great conditions - hope you get some
visibility, too!

What a start to the season...

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude

Old December 10th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:29:09 +0000, Ian Blake
wrote:

Now there is going to be around 50cm of snow this weekend (mostly on Sunday).
Will the bus get through or will it end up balanced just like in the film?

Generally it should be fine. As Roger says, those roads are kept clear
as much as possible, and the bus will be suitably equipped, tyre-wise.
At least, I'd hope so.

Transport aside snow conditions in the Southern Alps are going to be Superb
(provided it stops snowing) next week. Pity I'm not going to Isola2000, I have
always considered it a bit of a risk snow wise but .....

Right now I reckon anywhre above 1000m will be enjoying the snow
bonanza. It's settling as low as 400m out of town, and looks set to
continue for the next couple of days at least. Some sun by Saturday, a
bit more on Sunday.

It's already been great (in Engelberg) the last couple of weekends,
with a superb off-piste day last Sunday, and this is really building a
brilliant base that should last until the new year at least.

Old December 10th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rob White

Just make sure that the gold and the beer is tied down near the centre of
gravity and you will be OK. Michael Cain had it loose and sliding about. I
was on a coach to SC some years ago when the road was iffy, and it slipped
and slided all the way down from Montgenevre, not particularly scary, but
quite exciting.

Rob

Old December 11th 08, 09:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

wrote:

Now there is going to be around 50cm of snow this weekend (mostly on Sunday).

Still not stopped snowing here around Basel and throughout
Switzerland, with more on the way until tomorrow at least.

Some local routes have been closed as a result of trees breaking under
the strain of ~30cm of heavy damp snow, but the roads themselves are
fine.

Old December 11th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake[_4_]

It is a bit of a shame but www.snow-forecast.com have reduced their prediction.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...alier/6day/bot Looks like we are
only going to get a fraction of the snow they promised yesterday.
Old December 11th 08, 09:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake[_4_]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:01:44 -0000, "Rob White" wrote:

Just make sure that the gold and the beer is tied down near the centre of
gravity and you will be OK. Michael Cain had it loose and sliding about. I
was on a coach to SC some years ago when the road was iffy, and it slipped
and slided all the way down from Montgenevre, not particularly scary, but
quite exciting.

Rob

Exciting bus trips are always good. One year I was returning from border week
(the pre Christmas week) at Val Thorens. There were only about ten of us on the
bus heading down to Moutier for the night train. A local got on has a word with
the driver, something good on telly tonight or some other reason that he should
be quick or maybe he just wanted his tea. So off we go skidding around the
bends overtaking buses (these shuttles normally overtake the airport and long
haul buses) and local cars (which is not so usual). I have been disappointed on
every other bus trip since.
Old December 11th 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

"Ian Blake" wrote in message
It is a bit of a shame but www.snow-forecast.com have reduced their
prediction.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...alier/6day/bot Looks like
we are
only going to get a fraction of the snow they promised yesterday.

Now you're being greedy... :-)

Roger
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude

Old December 11th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ian Blake[_4_]

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:26:38 +0100, "Roger Moss"
wrote:

"Ian Blake" wrote in message
.. .
It is a bit of a shame but www.snow-forecast.com have reduced their
prediction.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...alier/6day/bot Looks like
we are
only going to get a fraction of the snow they promised yesterday.

Now you're being greedy... :-)

Roger

All I want is 20cm every night and clear calm skies all day.
Old December 11th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
bod43

On 11 Dec, 13:51, Ian Blake wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:26:38 +0100, "Roger Moss"

wrote:

.. .
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...6day/bot*Looks like
we are
only going to get a fraction of the snow they promised yesterday.

Now you're being greedy... * :-)

Roger

All I want is 20cm every night and clear calm skies all day.

That is what happened on my first non Scottish ski
trip (Tignes), my 'friends' told me that this was
the norm.

I have been sorely disappointed for nearly all of
the subsequent 35 weeks of Alpine Skiing.

Stop Needling Me! [email protected] Alpine Skiing 1 January 28th 08 01:47 PM
Stop Waxing! ant Alpine Skiing 17 January 27th 06 01:26 AM
I am Bob -- So stop! Hank Sniadoch Alpine Skiing 6 September 13th 04 02:33 AM