New langlauf/cross country ski's

Old November 24th 05, 06:34 PM

Default New langlauf/cross country ski's

Hi all,

I want to buy my first pair of cross country/langlauf ski's. I am
interested in these newer nordic ski's where you can ski in the loipe or out
of it.

Particularly, I am looking at these ski's:

http://www.fischer-ski.com/de/produc...id_product=228
or
http://www.fischer-ski.com/de/produc...id_product=226

I am 184cm and weigh 77kgs. Are these type of ski's suitable? What length
should I get? Also, what length poles are suitable?

The reason I am asking here is that I have been to two shops. One said that
these ski's are not stiff enough and I needed these Salomon ones (forget the
model) in 194cm! I went to the other store and he said that the ski's above
are fine, but I only needed size 174cm. Frankly, I think I might need a
size in between this.

Likewise, the first guy said I need poles up to the top of my shoulder, and
the second guy said up to my armpit. So I'm a bit confused.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Old November 25th 05, 05:12 AM

AH wrote:
[...]

Ahhhh yes, there are a number of opinions about this sort of thing! For
classic skiing I have found the following, mostly by trial and error;

Ski poles;
-Length is when you are standing on skis,, not your street shoes!
-I was using poles to the arm pit, then switched to newer ones to the
top of the shoulder and found they fit me much better, and felt much
more natural for pushing. Others may feel differently.

Fischer Nordic Crusier Line:
I really like these skis! I have the Cruiser model and Cruiser Crown (a
little narrower). The Cruiser is great for out of track and ungroomed
trails and fits nicely in tracks also. I found the glide to be better
than other skis, and they turn easier than older style long skis.
They are made to match your weight, so length is not so important (on
some models they have two skis the same length, but made for different
weights (the 184 is available in L and XL weights).
My weight is very close to your and I tried both the M and the L and
found the glide better on the L with no grip problems at all.
I think if you went stiffer (like the XL) you would have to kick down
like mad and work very hard to ski (but the glide would be better! As
much as I like glide, I used to have a pair of skis like that, but I
gave them to someone heavier than me!)

Good luck!
GR
Old November 28th 05, 12:25 AM

If your shoulders are level, that will be close, probably on the long side but reducible. Generally, the top of the pole grip should not go higher than the bone on the outside edge of the shoulder. The problem is you are a beginner and that might be too much pole to handle for now. A good way to start is with a carbon pole/wrap-around strap at the lower price end until you get the hang of it and decide what's best.

Gene

Old December 6th 05, 08:34 AM

"gr" wrote in message
AH wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your advice! I went with Cruiser Crown's in L, and although I
have never cross country skied before they seemed really good. Went for a
ski around the block, snow was a bit thin in places and scratched the base a
bit, but not that noticable. Went up and down some hills, no problems
gripping going up. So far pretty happy with them!

Thanks again.

Cross country ski's AH Alpine Skiing 2 November 25th 05 07:59 AM
Warm and cold skis [email protected] Nordic Skiing 10 June 8th 05 05:20 PM
Probability of Getting Good Race Skis at Small Ski Shops ?? Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 26 October 27th 04 06:41 PM
Ski Mountaineering Clyde Backcountry Skiing 2 September 23rd 03 09:18 PM