3-pin bindings

Old January 31st 05, 10:34 PM
ALB

Default 3-pin bindings

I have a pair of old boots that are in good condition and still fit.
However, they're designed for 3-pin bindings.

I want to buy a new pair of skis and have 3-pin bindings mounted on
them. If at some point I buy new boots and switch to NNN type
bindings, will I be able to use the same skis or does mounting the
3-pin bindings make using a new set of bindings impractical or
impossible?

ALB

Old January 31st 05, 11:01 PM
JCZ

I was in the ski rental/warmup building of our local metropark a
couple of weeks ago. The county had sent them several boxes of new
boots and bindings -- all were Salomon. All the old skis they have
were 3 pin bindings. I sat there for awhile trying to warm up and rest
a bit before going back out and talked to the guy who was removing the
3 pin bindings and remounting the Salomon bindings. He said that
fortunately the screws were in a different spot on the ski for the new
bindings than where the old 3 pin holes had been, so he was having no
trouble.

June

ups.com...

Old January 31st 05, 11:28 PM
Camilo

"ALB" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a pair of old boots that are in good condition and still fit.
However, they're designed for 3-pin bindings.

I want to buy a new pair of skis and have 3-pin bindings mounted on
them. If at some point I buy new boots and switch to NNN type
bindings, will I be able to use the same skis or does mounting the
3-pin bindings make using a new set of bindings impractical or
impossible?

ALB

In the future you can remove the 3 pin bindings, plug the screw holes, and
re-mount with NNN type bindings. No big deal, ski shops do it all the time
and it's an easy DIY with a little guidance.

On the other hand, you might want to consider just getting some new NNN or
similar boots. Especially if you plan to do a lot of skiing in groomed
tracks. 3 pin bindings can be less than optimal in set tracks because they
are too wide and scrape the sides of the tracks. If money's an issue, check
out a used equpment shop. They often have decent quality used NNN gear for
cheap and you might be surprised at how cheap you can match the quality of
your current boots. If you're mainly doing off-track touring, don't worry
about it, just use the 3 pin stuff.

Good luck

Cam

Old February 1st 05, 12:47 AM
diane

I have both NNN-BC and 3 pin bindings- the drill holes are the same, an east
switch.

My husband actually prefers the 3 pin- he thinks they are easier to get on.
I found a deal on EBAY for NNN-bc and boots so I'm happy also and switched
the 3 pin bindings to a older pair. screws were almost stripped and hard to
get out- the installer must not have been careful. Even these can be
ordered. Try Backcountry.com. They had Alpina 3 pin and NNN- they were $10
cheaper than my local ski shop.

"Camilo" wrote in message

"ALB" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 09:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 05:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 03:02 PM
Flow Bindings mr E Snowboarding 1 November 15th 03 06:32 AM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM