Lapland Lake Conditions?

Old February 12th 04, 02:32 PM
Alan

Default Lapland Lake Conditions?

Anyone ski Lapland Lakes recently? Trail conditions? Trying to decide
whether to go this weekend or not. Thanks.

Old February 12th 04, 06:46 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Don't know, but good idea to ask here for an accurate report. Garnet
Hill, an hour north, is reporting very good conditions
(http://www.garnet-hill.com/) and they can be believed.

Gene

Old February 12th 04, 07:26 PM
Alan

Thanks. As you know the LL folks tend to, how to put this... put a good spin
on the conditions. We use waxless skis, but I usually look at their wax
reccommendations instead of the eternal "powder/packed powder" description
to try to get a truer feel. Yes, Garnet has generally been more honest.

Old February 12th 04, 09:52 PM
Onno Oerlemans

I skied at Garnet Hill last weekend, and the conditions and the grooming
were wonderful. It was my first time there. What a wonderful place! Great
trails and great views. If you go, make sure you do the Bobcat run and
Solitude. What a blast!

Onno Oerlemans

Old February 12th 04, 10:58 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:41:35 -0500, "Alan"
wrote:

We've been to Garnet several times. It's always been great.

The thing about Garnet Hill is they work it. They love skiing and
they try to make every visitor love skiing. Everytime I have been
there, there has been some sort of grooming or activity going on. The
snow may not always cooperate, but they do there best. And, at the
moment, I'm pretty sure the snow is excellent there.

Great place.

JT

Old February 13th 04, 01:13 AM
Pieter Litchfield

Let's see - if Garnet is an hour north, you must be in the Saratoga area.
For a free experience, try Camp Saratoga off Edie road on Scout Road between
the Northway and Rte 50.

Old February 13th 04, 03:31 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

The thing about Garnet Hill is they work it. They love skiing and
they try to make every visitor love skiing. Everytime I have been
there, there has been some sort of grooming or activity going on. The
snow may not always cooperate, but they do there best. And, at the
moment, I'm pretty sure the snow is excellent there.

Great place.

Let's put a name on it. Dick Carlson is the longtime Nordic Director
and often the person you'll see out on the snowmobile rolling,
especially if it's snowing. He also runs the mountain biking operation
in the summer. They also have some longtime groomers driving the piston
bullys, people who are really dedicated and knowledgeable. The previous
owner, George H, really supported doing it right, and apparently the new
owner (from Utah) feels the same. If things haven't changed, everyone
in the shop is a skier and many of them are very good, including an
instructor or two from nearby Gore Mtn on weekends. Julie S is PSIA
level 3 and so it's an official ski school, and Dick was a downhill
racer as a young guy out west and worked at Sun Valley. He's the only
one I've seen telemark successfully off the A-frame roof of the ski
center.

If you ever get a chance, take their Gore Mtn to Garnet trip. Dave
Matthews of Reliable Racing and his wife took it the year I was there
and raved. Unfortunately, it snowed 3' the day before the staff trip and
it was cancelled. Here's the write-up:

Gore To Garnet Hill Backcountry Ski Adventure

For more advanced and adventurous skiers we offer an all day guided
backcountry ski tour from Gore Mtn. back to the ski center at Garnet
Hill. The trip usually begins with a shuttle bus ride to Gore Mtn., and
then a chairlift ride to the saddle area on Gore. Depending on snow and
weather conditions the guide will choose from a variety or ski routes -
sometimes skiing all day at the higher elevations on Gore and Pete Gay
mountains. Usually the trip entails some high elevation skiing with a
gradual descent into the lower forests and a wilderness tour through the
Vly and William Blake Pond ending at the ski shop.

These guided trips are usually run on the weekends. Rugged backcountry
equipment is usually required (available at the ski shop to rent). An
additional "what to bring" list is available to participants. In
addition skiers should be more than beginner skiers and be comfortable
skiing on ungroomed backcountry ski trails. The trip lasts all day with
a 9 AM departure and returning by 4:30 - 5:00 PM. Cost is $30/person and
includes guide service and shuttle bus.

Conditions for Keski Tim Dudley Nordic Skiing 7 February 12th 04 02:37 AM
Conditions at Hunter NY? PK General 0 December 31st 03 11:35 AM
Conditions för Alp d´Huez Mats Jönsson European Ski Resorts 0 December 29th 03 06:19 PM
Innsbruck conditions Bill European Ski Resorts 1 November 26th 03 10:53 AM
2 Alpes glacier conditions PG European Ski Resorts 0 August 30th 03 09:01 AM