fool mail orders his boots/ski rental rx

Old December 8th 04, 04:14 AM
tom b

Default fool mail orders his boots/ski rental rx

Hi all,
I have called around to shops where I'm going to ski, decided to buy some
real boots for my week a year. The shops don't seem to have my size in any
of the expert models of the major brands, I've called around a bunch. In
case I end up looking at rental boots again or a not-quite-it boot, I may
mail order something and return it if (more likely when) it doesn't fit
right.

I'm interested in the rossignol elite exp, size 28.5 (I wear 11, 28.5 fits
10.5 shoe), REI has it for $500. I liked the rossi B2 last year and had a
few feet added to my semi backscratcher almost big jumps, they haul but they
turn, me impressed, figure rossi has my boot if it fits. I don't have a
narrow foot but have survived many years of salomon rental boots, last year
rubbed my instep raw on both feet. Is the elite exp a good boot? Am I more
odds-on for a good fit with a good model of one of the other brands -
Atomic, Lange, Nordica, Salomon, Technica?

I'm also wondering about new skis to rent - Is rossi's Zenith last year's
B2? Any others to try? I'm mostly groomed, a little trees, seek stable, fast
but lively ski, not mushy.
thanks a bunch--
tom

Old December 8th 04, 09:03 AM
Alex Heney

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 05:14:42 GMT, "tom b"
wrote:

Hi all,
I have called around to shops where I'm going to ski, decided to buy some
real boots for my week a year. The shops don't seem to have my size in any
of the expert models of the major brands, I've called around a bunch. In
case I end up looking at rental boots again or a not-quite-it boot, I may
mail order something and return it if (more likely when) it doesn't fit
right.

Very much WHEN.

Unless you are replacing an existing boot with the same model, buying
boots by mail order is just not sense.

There are very few decent ski stores who are even willing to do boots
by mail order, for good reason.

You don't say what country you are from, but assuming US, size 11 is
well within the most common sizes, so I would be very surprised if
there was not a decent selection in your size at or before peak
season. Towards the end of the season, when they are starting to sell
out, the popular sizes are the ones that go first.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Palindrome isn't one.

Old December 8th 04, 10:37 AM
VtSkier

tom b wrote:
[...]

Sigh Another one thinking about buying boots by brand.

Your instep being rubbed raw may be a sign that the boots were too big.
I wear a size 12 street and 28.5 ski boots. My right big toe is just
touching the end of the boot. Black toe is often a part of my ski year
if I don't remember to keep my toenails cut.

What follows is something I wrote in another post here yesterday. The
gist is to find a good boot fitter and buy what fits pretty much and
then get it *fitted* professionally. If you are going to buy boots,
especially top-end boots, don't cheap out. You'll be sorry.

Got a new pair of Raichle Flexons and did a little work in spots I knew
would need it. Hand grinders are a wonderful thing. I then took them to
Sure Foot for custom inserts and additional fitting. The boots I bought
were Mondo 28 when I should have had Mondo 28.5 (a little wider).

Sure Foot did a great job on these AND my Lowa AT boots. When I was
there, I checked out what Sure Foot had to offer. They do a complete
foamed custom shell and liner right there in the shop. They should be
able to do almost anything for anybody.

Now, Sure Foot is probably only as good as its manager/staff. It is
something of a chain and the owner probably isn't there. The shop here
at Killington is currently run by a true believer in the system. He's
opened and run Sure Foot shops in various parts of the country and is
VERY good at what he does.

The prices they charge are comparable to other shops in the area.

Another good place to look is Dale Boot in SLC (www.dalebootusa.com)
also a complete custom fit which is comparable in price to other
national brands of ski boots.

I would rely on a GOOD professional boot fitter to get what you require
in ski boots. Now, who is GOOD and who isn't. Sure Foot will get almost
any boot fitting correctly for the price of a pair of custom inner soles
which you should have anyway. This, of course, doesn't count if you
bought a shell which was way too big. If I had to buy a boot at some
shop, I go for the tighter fit and then have it pushed and pulled to fit
my feet. Don't count on a hard plastic boot EVER "breaking in" to your
foot. Won't happen. Make it fit.

Why the tighter fit? That's so that I don't need to buckle the boot very
tight at all. Once I learned this and to buy a custom inner sole, I've
had comfortable feet skiing for a lot of years now.

Various ski shops get good reputations for boot fitting. Seek them out.
Here in the east, the very best is Greg Hoffman at Green Mountain
Orthopedics at Stratton. Not only can he fit your boots correctly, he
can and will correct your stance to make you the very best skier you can
possibly be. I know a couple of people who have gone to him and are much
more than delighted with the result. My stance is good and I'm in the
right place over my skis, so I have never gone to him. There is another
of such exulted reputation, I think at Aspen.

By the way, It is almost never OK to buy ski boots by brand. Buy the
boot that fits you best with the features you want. I've always had
almost racing boots for a long time now, and am just starting to go with
softer boots. My AT boots are way soft and I find I can ski them in
almost any conditions the area has to offer. Then I can walk around
comfortably when I need to.

There, that's a lot of writing. I hope some of it helps. If not, go with
LAL's suggestion of saws, grinders and plastic welders.

VtSkier
Old December 8th 04, 04:28 PM
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
Black toe is often a part of my ski year
if I don't remember to keep my toenails cut.

Heads up, folks. I don't think we've seen this reminder yet this fall.
Good word to the wise, RW.

IF your boots fit properly lengthwise, AND you let your big toenail get
long, you WILL loose your big toenail. It's almost a test of proper
length; but one you don't want to actively participate in.
Old December 8th 04, 08:40 PM
Dmitry

"VtSkier" wrote

I'm interested in the rossignol elite exp, size 28.5 (I wear 11, 28.5 fits
10.5 shoe), REI has it for $500. I liked the rossi B2 last year and had a

Sigh Another one thinking about buying boots by brand.

Well actually, getting boots from REI might not be a bad idea. If you live
far away from any decent ski shops and you're low on cash, getting boots
when REI has them on sale and then returning them for a full refund if they
don't fit, that is. I think their satisfaction guarantee works for mail-order
items too.

Old December 9th 04, 03:37 AM
tom b

Thanks all, plenty of good info to stew on. I'll try and be patient, wait
until I get there. The short list is lange, technica, atomic, nordica, but
will buy by fit, find fitter. Will probably just add superfeet for this
season, fool around with some duct tape.. Maybe some K2s this season too,
haven't skied them for a long while.
Enjoy the season!
tom

Old December 9th 04, 12:14 PM
Mary Malmros

tom b wrote:

Thanks all, plenty of good info to stew on. I'll try and be patient, wait
until I get there. The short list is lange, technica, atomic, nordica, but
will buy by fit, find fitter.

Why even have a short list? Go to a good shop, tell them what your
needs are, and see what they recommend.

Will probably just add superfeet for this
season, fool around with some duct tape.. Maybe some K2s this season too,
haven't skied them for a long while.

K2 now isn't K2 then, so caveat emptor.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.