Colors and trails ranking on the Inssbruck trail map

Old September 26th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated,rec.skiing.alpine

Default Colors and trails ranking on the Inssbruck trail map

If you have a look at this map you will see that there are trails
marked with green but there is no mention in the legend (see the bottom
of the picture) about this trails. What is the meaning of this green on
the map ?

http://www.skisnowboardeurope.com/in...railmap01.html

Also I do not understand the color code:

-black is supposed to mean difficult (the same here in Canada)
-red is intermediate
-blue is easy (In Canada blue means intermediate)

Do the levels of difficulty corespond in Europe and North America ?

The black color seems to be also used for chair lifts, gondolas and
others like these. I can not find "black runs" on that map !!

Can anybode help me to understand this map ?

Thank you

Old September 26th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated,rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

wrote:

If you have a look at this map you will see that there are trails
marked with green but there is no mention in the legend (see the bottom
of the picture) about this trails. What is the meaning of this green on
the map ?

http://www.skisnowboardeurope.com/in...railmap01.html

Also I do not understand the color code:

-black is supposed to mean difficult (the same here in Canada)
-red is intermediate
-blue is easy (In Canada blue means intermediate)

Do the levels of difficulty corespond in Europe and North America ?

The black color seems to be also used for chair lifts, gondolas and
others like these. I can not find "black runs" on that map !!

Can anybode help me to understand this map ?

The green lines appear to be toboggan runs. At least that's what I get
out of the map legend. It's not completely clear.

That said, the rest of it is fairly straightforward. Lifts are shown as
black lines with a little icon indicating whether it's a chair, gondola
or a surface lift. For the chairs there's a little number saying what
the capacity is 4, 6, 8.

Alpine ski runs are shown as blue (for easy) red (for more difficult)
and black (for expert). The black runs appear to be all on peak 7.

Nordic trails are shown as dashed lines with the same difficulty
designation by color.

Do the levels of difficulty corespond in Europe and North America ?

Sort of. Green-blue-black on this side of the pond roughly corresponds
to blue-red-black (respectively) over there. But be aware that for
anywhere you go, easy means "easy" relative to the other terrain at that
resort. Difficult means "difficult" relative to the other terrain at
that resort. I know of quite a few "black diamonds" that would be
rated green if they were located at another resort. Every resort has a
"most difficult" trail and an "easiest" trail, but what's the easiest at
resort A might be far tougher than what's most difficult at resort B.

Trail ratings are given relative to the rest of that resort, not
relative to the ski world at large.

//Walt