Skiing in Austria -Innsbruck need help with planning

Old September 25th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated

Default Skiing in Austria -Innsbruck need help with planning

Hi everybody

I am planning a skiing trip to Austria and I need some opinion about
this. Any help will be much appreciated.

My plan is to fly to Munich or Vienna from Toronto. From there I want
to rent a car and to drive to the place where I will be staying.

Period 16 Dec-23 Dec 2006, one person.
I am intermediate (I had no problems at Whistler on the blue rated
trails)
I would like to drive around every day and to try a different trail
each day(or area with trails).

I had a short look at Innsbruk and the slopes around and it seems to be
OK. I need some advice from those of you who went there before. I need
to know if the trails are OK for my skills, I would like to know if it
is worth renting a car (I heard that there is a shuttle that takes you
to the slopes) I need some recommendations regarding a place to stay (
I do not need much confort, shower, one bed and a table to take a meal
are enough- internet and TV will be considered luxury :-) ). I still
need privacy so a dormitory is out of question.
I don't know Innsbruk at all of course, I guess I am not wrong if I
assume that a city of that size would have a big store where you can
buy all your groceries and food so you can not depend on food provided
by hotels and restaurnats. I am planning a budget vacation so this
really counts.

I also heard that the skiing pass covers the area not a specific trail
? How much does it cost ?
Any recommendations or links to sites that I can use to plan this
vacation are usefull. please don't hesitate to post them. (renting a
car, booking my acommodation..this are things that I am working on)

One more question: I believe that the snow will not be a problem for
that time of the year. Am I wrong ?

Thanks to everybody
NP

PS I decided to go to Innsbruck because of the scennery. Any other
suggestions regarding this ?

Old September 26th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Hank Sniadoch

There are many questions you asked, I can't answer all of them. Just a few
hints. Skiing at that time of year will be no problem. There are glaciers
you can ski on all year round. Your level of ability is also no problem. I
am a strong intermediate and the slopes are relatively easy there if you
stay on the groomed trails. If you're an intermediate you won't have a
problem.

I strongly suggest you go ski at St. Anton's and Lech and Zurs which are
approx an hour away from Innsbruck by car. The skiing here is almost
endless. You can ski from resort to resort but only with a guide. I would
ski St Anton's and then drive over to Lech and Zurs and ski there on another
day.

The city of Innsbruck is beautiful, safe and the people are extraordinarily
friendly. It is one of my favorite cities. I don't remember the name of
the hotel where I stayed. The ski areas have shuttles which stop at some
hotels. You should check with the hotel to see if they have a bus stop at
the hotel. You can walk almost the entire town if you wish so shopping
won't be a problem Ask at the hotel.

A lift pass cost $25 when I went in the mid 80s, who knows what they cost
now but you can bet they cost far less than a lift ticket here in the
states.

oups.com...

Old September 26th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
BrritSki

wrote:
Hi everybody

I am planning a skiing trip to Austria and I need some opinion about
this. Any help will be much appreciated.

Sorry, can't help, but there are lots of people over at
rec.skiing.resorts.europe who will be happy to.

Old September 26th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated

Lech and Zurs are awsome, the Madloch wich takes you from Zurs to Zug
and then back to Lech is a great upper intermediate adventure. St.
Anton is much more crowded but has excellent guided skiing (Expert?)
for a great price through their ski schools. There is also fine skiing
right outside Innsbruck I have been told. Innsbruck is a fun town,
have a great trip.

Old September 26th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated

When I tried to post in the resorts group I got a message saying that
the group was in archiving mode. Today it worked...let's see what
feedback I will get from there. T

Thak you
NP

Old October 1st 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated

Hi everybody

Thank you for your suggestions.
One more question: how are the parking lots located in the close
proximity of the chairs. I believe that a good plan would be to have
the base camp in Igls and from there to drive every day to an other
resort.

I would like to know about the parking lots located at the bottom end
of the chairs in the following resorts

Patscherkofel
Stubaier
Axamer Lizum
Kuthai
St Anton

My plan is to drive to St Anton for one or two days. I may also drive
to Innsbruck and take the train from there to St Anton. In the
eventuality I decide to drive I would like to know if there is enough
room for parking or I have to be there early so I can catch a spot.

I believe that this this plan may cover the situation when Innsbruck
doesn't have snow at that time of the year. Is there a parking fee ?
How much ?

How long it will take me to drive to St Anton from Innsbruck ? How is
the road at at that time of the year ? (December 16 - december 23 ?)

Thank you
NP

Old October 4th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Mike Treseler

wrote:

I would like to know about the parking lots located at the bottom end
of the chairs in the following resorts

I would get a train pass instead of a car and take
shuttles to the ski areas.

-- Mike Treseler